The City Wakes People Paintings are being auctioned on ebay

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Alien Bean
Embryo
Embryo

The City Wakes People Paintings are being auctioned on ebay

Post by Alien Bean »

The UFO, supporters of The Other Room, hosted a special "People Painting" during The City Wakes exhibition: a blank canvas available for visitors to "offer their love and creativity to Mr. Barrett". Everyone had the opportunity to express themselves.

The Result: Group creations that nobody could predict. Participation was essential. Just like a happening which includes the audience, the People Paintings are a pleasant artifact left by the people who were there, part of a fantastic evening. In Roger Keith 'Syd' Barrett’s spirit, seven paintings were produced, each one an artistic thumb print impression of each of The City Wakes events. Each painting is totally original and includes a certificate of authenticity, along with the signatures of each of the artists who participated in their creation.

The UFO is auctioning the paintings that were created during The City Wakes on eBay to raise more funds for The Syd Barrett Trust. The auctions are now live (they started on December 30th) and each runs for 10 days. More details below...

Paintings are best viewed while listening to Syd Barretts "Chapter 24"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hcj1MELHeA

All movement is accomplished in six stages
And the seventh brings return.
The seven is the number of the young light
It forms when darkness is increased by one
Change returns success
Going and coming without error.
Action brings good fortune.
Sunset.
The time is with the month of winter solstice
When the change is due to come.
Thunder in the other course of heaven.
Things cannot be destroyed once and for all.
Change returns success
Sunset, sunrise.

All movement is accomplished in six stages
And the seventh brings return.
The seven is the number of the young light
It forms when darkness is increased by one.
Change returns success
Sunset, sunrise.

Stage 1 - The Roots of Cambridge Rock
Not for Auction

Not a City Wakes centered event, but a private gathering organized by Warren Dosanjh, for all of the rock and roll musicians in the Cambridge area especially those known throughout the 1960s and 70s. Cambridge was known as a place that was fertile with student groups rocking their way through grammar school and college, or just working lads letting off steam and livening-up things in the city and in the towns and villages around the region of the old county of Cambridgeshire. This event included many of the old crew that were around then, and also many of the ex band mates of the Pink Floyd band, organized and named by Roger Keith ‘Syd’ Barrett after two obscure bluesmen, Pink Anderson and Floyd Council.

Stage 2 - The Happening
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0337411785

All at Once: the Happening
Talking of happenings, this classic, 60s-style Happening was staged on October 28th. Some friends of Syd were the organizers and instigators of the All at Once Happening at the Centre at St Paul's. In their preview of the event, they said: "Our digipoems, mangled music & old wave films will remix prolix newkicks. Our simultaneity, multineity & spontaneity will loop back to yesterday, improvise today but furrow tomorrow. We insist you keep your mobile phones on, your children badly behaved and your antennae tuned to the chance of beauty. It's FREE to get in... Like life.

Stage 2 - The Happening - The Other Side

As the Centre at St Paul's website attests, the Happening was quite something. "Performers included William Pryor, Andrew Rawlinson, Nigel Lesmoir-Gordon and Lucy Raverat. Peter Wynne Wilson's light show was spectacular bathing and swathing the building and the performers in a succession of kaleidoscopic kolours spontaneously reflecting the experimental nature of the performance".

Stage 3 - The Madcap & Anthony Stern
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0337411789

Malcolm Boyle’s original live art theatre show The Madcap is a multi-media journey into the psychedelic 60s underground as seen through the distorted mental lens of Syd Barrett - the legendary genius behind Pink Floyd. In this critically-acclaimed solo show, award-winning performer and musician Malcolm Boyle combines tragicomic performance, hallucinatory original film and archive slide projections with his own 21st Century interpretations of Barrett’s songs.

The Madcap plays out the story of Syd’s sudden rise from bohemian alternative London to the heights of pop stardom, and his eventual flight from public life against a backdrop of political rebellion, hallucinogenic drugs and psychedelic music.

Also Anthony Stern opened the act with an excellent rare version of Interstellar Overdrive played along to rare footage of Syd Barrett and San Francisco in the 1960s. Anthony Stern used extensive sound and picture archives of rediscovered and unseen material from the 60’s including concert footage of Blind faith, Pink Floyd etc are currently being prepared for a fictional documentary on the 60’s.

Stage 4 - The Music Production
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0337411790

The City Wakes Musical Production presents fresh interpretations of Syd’s most famous songs. Supported by cutting-edge video art from award-wining choreographer Darren Johnston, stunning psychedelic lighting from Pink Floyd’s original designer, and a guest appearance by The Grasshopper’s Green Herbarian Band, The City Wakes opens the door into Syd’s world.

Stage 5 - Gala Night - The Other Room
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0337411787

Gala Performance - Trinity College Chapel
Completed in 1567, during the reign of Elizabeth I, Trinity College Chapel is a magnificent space that plays host to rich and diverse architectural features. Original Tudor woodwork, Victorian coloured glass windows, and one of only two modern organs by Metzler found in Britain, are all presided over by an imposing painting by early 19th century American artist Benjamin West.

Stage 6 - Gala Night - The Other Room
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0337411786

The spectacular finale to The City Wakes will be a gala performance of The City Wakes concert in the beautiful setting of Trinity College Chapel in Cambridge. On the final night of The City Wakes, statues of Isaac Newton and Lord Tennyson will have the good fortune of sharing their illustrious home with psychedelic light effects and the inimitable sounds of Syd Barrett. The gala performance promises to be a weirdly apt fusion of the divergent faces of Cambridge life.

The 7th - Gala Night - The Other Room
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0337411788

The 7th Painting is best viewed while listening to Syd Barrett's "Astronomy Domine"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zjiLWavN5A

Lime and limpid green, a second scene A fight between the blue you once knew.
Floating down, the sound resounds Around the icy waters underground.
Jupiter and saturn, oberon, miranda and titania.
Neptune, titan, stars can frighten. Lime and limpid green, a second scene
A fight between the blue you once knew.
Floating down, the sound resounds Around the icy waters underground.
Jupiter and saturn, oberon, miranda and titania.
Neptune, titan, stars can frighten. Blinding signs flap, Flicker, flicker, flicker blam. pow, pow.
Stairway scare dan dare whos there?
Lime and limpid green, the sounds around The icy waters under Lime and limpid green, the sounds around The icy waters underground.

http://www.TheCityWakes.org.uk
http://www.SydBarrett.com
http://www.TheUFO.org
~Alien Bean 8)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The City Wakes People Paintings are being auctioned on ebay

Post by Keith Jordan »

Good luck with the auction. Hope it raises plenty money for the Trust. 8)

I think setting the starting bid at £100 was a bit steep! I justchecked a couple, have any got bids on yet? Do they all end at the same time?
Alien Bean
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Alien Bean »

You may be right my friend. :-k The paintings are priceless to me though and if they do not sell, it's OK. They have been donated to Escape Artists' now and they may have other plans for them. [-o<

Anyone who was there at The City Wakes and participated in the creation of the paintings should know how special they are. If I had the money to purchase them I would not pay anything less myself.:smt111

Currently, I'm putting footage together of each paintings creation at UFO TV soon. After viewing the footage others who could not make it out should understand what they missed. :smt056

I might just need to save and buy them all myself, to insure Escape Artists' raises at least that much from the paintings for their projects. :smt054

Remember, above all, Roger Keith "Syd" Barrett loved painting. :smt049
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

The person that lives near me and who sold me my first Floyd bootleg also owns one of Syds paintings.
I tried for years to make him sell it to me... but no way.

Good luck with the auction...
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

Damn!t wrote: also owns one of Syds paintings.
:o
Could you take a photo of it ?
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

I'll try. :D
Dunno how to approach that dude after he told me to fuck off... several times. :lol:
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

What...when you told him you could acquire bootlegs from elsewhere for nowt?
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

That was some 12-13 years ago... pre-yeeshkul/broadband days I'm affraid.
I bought one show from '75 tour... and another Floyd world got opened for me the moment I listened to it.
Still have that 2nd generation tape somewhere.
Sorry for going off topic...
Atom Heart Sun
Blade
Blade

Post by Atom Heart Sun »

O gosh!

I went to the happening that night... I also joined in the painting!
Alien Bean wrote:Anyone who was there at The City Wakes and participated in the creation of the paintings should know how special they are.
So normally I am rather creative and imaginative but that night I did perhaps the most unimaginative thing possible... I just signed my name on it HAHA!

"Clifford"

How inappropriate >_<

Don't you believe me? Check this 16 seconds of footage from All at Once: The Happening:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrS_vfUiEWY

Ok so - ahem - it took me a year and a half to come report this to you guys... Well I have been out of touch changing career and being rejected by beautiful Polish girls.

But better late than never eh?

Anyway it was a lovely day and evening for my friend and I. The exhibition did not feature the household items we had hoped would be there but there were some fantastic pictures and handwritten letters by Barrett to whats-her-name (that nice girl he was seeing for a while) where he talks about what's on his mind and being in the studio etc.

The Happening was really cool, the lighting was excellent and the performances were very spirited. We met a couple of American brothers who had come over and were helping out at the event. In the spirit of the 60s we took one of them outside and gave him a smoke of some special tobbacco ;]

Syd was, is and always will be the greatest of them all. 'Nuff said.