Echoes - Pink Floyd Tribute Band in Surrey

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
gooneruk
Embryo
Embryo

Echoes - Pink Floyd Tribute Band in Surrey

Post by gooneruk »

Went to see these guys last night at The Star in Ewell, Surrey. They were amazing, the 1st time ive seen a Floyd Tribute band and to be honest was abit worried about seeing one but as the lead singer is a friend of my dads I thought I would make the effort and it was well worth it, was almost as good as the real thing. Anyway check out there website, there are a couple of mp3 downloads of one of there gigs.
http://www.echoes-band.co.uk/
filthyfish
Blade
Blade

Re: Echoes - Pink Floyd Tribute Band in Surrey

Post by filthyfish »

Well, I think the singer sounds a lot like 90s David, but the guitarist needs to study a bit, note-wise, its alright a few flat bends, (Coming Back to Life) but theres hardly any or no Vibrato, and the sound is a long way off.
It sounds a bit like a home recording as opposed to a live performance, and I have said before, we can all play given the safely of many takes. I like to hear a warts and all, ie: what I am likely to hear at a show.
Just my tuppence and don't be offended, I just tell it like it I hear it.
gooneruk
Embryo
Embryo

Post by gooneruk »

filthyfish wrote:Well, I think the singer sounds a lot like 90s David, but the guitarist needs to study a bit, note-wise, its alright a few flat bends, (Coming Back to Life) but theres hardly any or no Vibrato, and the sound is a long way off.
It sounds a bit like a home recording as opposed to a live performance, and I have said before, we can all play given the safely of many takes. I like to hear a warts and all, ie: what I am likely to hear at a show.
They have played a few more gigs since and drew a crowd of 150+ at the Berrylands, Surbiton the other day. The lead guitarist does frustrate me but hes had 3 gigs now with no mistakes, guess some of the floyd solos can be quite difficult so i will cut him some slack, but hes always looking at the song sheet. Apart from that they are getting quite a following and can only get better. Not sure about a home recording, I thought they really sound like a stadium band but restricted to pubs and clubs and ive been to alot of big concerts.
Anyway we all have our views.
filthyfish
Blade
Blade

Post by filthyfish »

gooneruk wrote:
filthyfish wrote:Well, I think the singer sounds a lot like 90s David, but the guitarist needs to study a bit, note-wise, its alright a few flat bends, (Coming Back to Life) but theres hardly any or no Vibrato, and the sound is a long way off.
They have played a few more gigs since and drew a crowd of 150+ at the Berrylands, Surbiton the other day. The lead guitarist does frustrate me but hes had 3 gigs now with no mistakes, guess some of the floyd solos can be quite difficult so i will cut him some slack, but hes always looking at the song sheet. Apart from that they are getting quite a following and can only get better. Not sure about a home recording, I thought they really sound like a stadium band but restricted to pubs and clubs and ive been to alot of big concerts.
Anyway we all have our views.
Indeed we do, as I said before, probably somewhere else, its not about the notes, its about how you play them, that, I am afraid you can't learn or read from the dots.
I wish them luck and hope they do well and continue to improve.
Ellen88
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Ellen88 »

filthyfish, I think I agree with you on this one - there's more to it than just getting it technically right. But they seem to have a good local following, so good for them..!
TonyTJ
Embryo
Embryo

Post by TonyTJ »

yeh - it's definitely all about capturing the soul of it - especially when it comes to tribute bands when there's often the temptation to aim for a perfect rendition, holding 'the notes' so reverentially that there's a kind of fear of getting it wrong that holds people back.

I've heard bands before that sound a bit sterile and, even though you know their heart is in it - in as much as they clearly love it - it's almost as if they love it too much and miss the groove.

and especially back in the Barrett days - I reckon the groove can be important than the notes sometimes...