When Iggy met Syd...

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Felix Atagong
Axe
Axe

When Iggy met Syd...

Post by Felix Atagong »

This month, 40 years ago, Iggy (aka the Eskimo) was introduced to Syd Barrett by a mutual friend.

The Holy Church of Iggy the Inuit had a chat with the person in question. Her story (Part 1, next week will see the rest) can be found in the latest article on the blog.

Any comment is of course appreciated.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: When Iggy met Syd...

Post by Damn!t »

Felix Atagong wrote:The Holy Church of Iggy the Inuit
:?:
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

What the internet has to offer on the subject:

http://iggy.atagong.com
Felix Atagong
Axe
Axe

Post by Felix Atagong »

Sorry, my signature with the link fails to be added.

Anyway, Part 2 of JenS's story has just been published and it tells a nice story about the date when the photo shoot was made for The Madcap Laughs.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Signatures can't be visible on the board. Plus you can't post links until you have made 10 posts.
mags
Blade
Blade

Post by mags »

Great stuff about Iggy and Syd, thanks.
I wonder what happened to the Pontiac?
Felix Atagong
Axe
Axe

Post by Felix Atagong »

Well, I made a mistake. As the TML photo session took place in April, instead of November(ish) this means that the Pontiac was used later in the year, so after Syd gave it away, for the movie.

marksman
Embryo
Embryo

Post by marksman »

Great reading, thanks!
professor frogmorton
Axe
Axe

Post by professor frogmorton »

Thanks Felix...excellent site about historical specifics...very interesting! What do you make of the large pink automobile that Barrett supposedly purchased on the US tour? I read the wealth of information on your website about the car in Mick Rock's photo having come from Mickey Finn, but have read that he wrote a letter to a former girlfriend about having blown all his money on a big pink car while on the US tour. Obviously two different cars.

What was the make and color of Barrett's mini? There is a picture of him in a large crowd at the Isle of Wight festival in 1969 seated against a light blue mini automobile...but not a Mini Cooper, I don't think.

Also, your question about the subject of Here I Go...that song was originally given in demo form to Joe Boyd in early 1967 with the idea that it might be recorded by the Purple Gang ( Granny Takes a Trip ). Boyd was producing them also at the time. The original title of the song was Boon Tune as is displayed in one of the final lines of the song..."what a boon this tune".
The Purple Gang did finally record and release their version of the song sometime in the past couple of years, an old timey sounding version. It seems unlikely that the song refers to Iggy or to Pink Floyd as some have interpreted the line about.." a big band is far better than you" and "forget that old band". My interpretation is that it's humorously about one sister who likes traditional orchestra big band music, (passing over the singer of the song) and her sister who likes the singers rock'n roll music and who becomes his new girl.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Damn I am actually captivated by this. As much as I diss the Barrett crowd, it has thrown up some interesting stuff. How did the Pontiac go from being pink to blue, where is Iggy now? I want to say Iggy is in Edinburgh, as you see some people from that era floating around here. Maybe I should stop and ask one someday.

I wonder if people will hack into my social circle in 40 years time to try and trace the randoms...
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

my breakfast. wrote: How did the Pontiac go from being pink to blue
It was obviously the little known Pontiac Litmus model which changed colour in the presence of acid and back to blue again after Syd got out. :lol:
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

Stephen wrote:
my breakfast. wrote: How did the Pontiac go from being pink to blue
It was obviously the little known Pontiac Litmus model which changed colour in the presence of acid and back to blue again after Syd got out. :lol:
Pontiac Litmus.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
theshockofthenew
Blade
Blade

Post by theshockofthenew »

my breakfast. wrote:Damn I am actually captivated by this. As much as I diss the Barrett crowd, it has thrown up some interesting stuff. How did the Pontiac go from being pink to blue, where is Iggy now? I want to say Iggy is in Edinburgh, as you see some people from that era floating around here. Maybe I should stop and ask one someday.

I wonder if people will hack into my social circle in 40 years time to try and trace the randoms...
You do sarcasm very well. :lol:
Felix Atagong
Axe
Axe

Post by Felix Atagong »

professor frogmorton wrote:What do you make of the large pink automobile that Barrett supposedly purchased on the US tour? I read the wealth of information on your website about the car in Mick Rock's photo having come from Mickey Finn, but have read that he wrote a letter to a former girlfriend about having blown all his money on a big pink car while on the US tour. Obviously two different cars.
Sorry for the late reply as I was out of brains for the last couple of weeks.
Me thinks that the pink Pontiac, bought in the USA, was a Barrett joke about the car he got from MF. But why did he tell it was pink, if it was blue?

Perhaps I should try to trace back the people that were present at the New Year's Party (Amanda Lear perhaps?), this hobby of mine is growing out of hands... 8)

About the Boon Tune, I knew that story (vaguely) but I found the theory (Iggy as Barrett's muse) so poetic I just added it. Perhaps I was drunk as well.

Anyway it is corrected in the last post on the Holy Church of Iggy the Inuit (iggy dot atagong dot com) that will be posted in about 15 minutes from now.
Vellacott
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Vellacott »

professor frogmorton wrote:There is a picture of him in a large crowd at the Isle of Wight festival in 1969 seated against a light blue mini automobile...but not a Mini Cooper, I don't think.
I have a copy of 'Word' magazine from June 2004 containing this picture (the caption doesn't mention Syd);I was pretty sure it was Mr Barrett in the crowd but it's great to have it confirmed. Also, on the same page there is a picture of Mr Gilmour and friend in the 'modest' VIP area.

Says it all really...