Syd Barrett Mosaic on eBay...

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Syd Barrett Mosaic on eBay...

Post by Keith Jordan »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0339060425
About the Mosaic

This mosaic by Syd Barrett is thought to be the only mosaic ever completed by the artist. It is an early work, probably made in the early 60s. The mosaic has never been out of possession of the Barrett family and is is only now going on sale in order to help raise funds to establish the Syd Barrett Centre for Arts in Mental Health in Syd's hometown of Cambridge. The mosaic has a thin wooden frame, also made by Syd Barrett, and comes with a letter of authencity signed by Rosemary Breen (nee Barrett), Syd Barrett's sister.

Please note that the image rights to the mosaic will be retained by the Syd Barrett Trust after the mosaic has been sold.
Phiznlil
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Syd Barrett Mosaic on eBay...

Post by Phiznlil »

I have no hope of winning, but I was bidder #1 :D
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

I wonder how bored Barrett family must be with RKB´s art, I mean I wouldn´t never sell this one either. Maybe I´d give it to a museum instead...
marksman
Embryo
Embryo

Post by marksman »

Interesting. In my ignorance I don't know anything about Barrett's activities other than music. Was he as creative in plastic arts as he was in music?

Please excuse me for OT, an extract from auction description:
In 1968, Syd left Pink Floyd
Funny how you can put things in different ways. I know a guy who was expelled from the university, yet he claims that he... "left".
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

The auction is going well. Up to £3,500 now!

Some of his other art went for just under £10,000!!

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/index ... es-p119890
BrianW
Axe
Axe

Post by BrianW »

zag wrote:I wonder how bored Barrett family must be with RKB´s art, I mean I wouldn´t never sell this one either. Maybe I´d give it to a museum instead...
Rosemary, his sister, is auctioning the piece with proceeds going to a mental health charity based in Cambridge, UK.

Bid away! This is a good cause!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I would like to bid away but I couldnt afford to looking at the current bid of £5,500!!
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

Christ Almighty. Would be sweet but yeah...our American money is worthless anyway.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

BrianW wrote: Rosemary, his sister, is auctioning the piece with proceeds going to a mental health charity based in Cambridge, UK.
One could ask what´s Syd gotta do with mental health issue. Are you saying Syd had mental problems ?
BrianW
Axe
Axe

Post by BrianW »

SydsMadcapGirl wrote:Christ Almighty. Would be sweet but yeah...our American money is worthless anyway.
Think of it as a beautiful investment - it could sit on your wall and you could enjoy it for years, and then one day when you need the money you could sell it to another Syd fan. It is not 'spend' but 'invest'.

Syd always thought of himself as an artist (esp. painting) and these early works are exquisite.

Another thought:

Which looks better and is a sounder investment: a Syd work of art, shares in a bank or a house?
BrianW
Axe
Axe

Post by BrianW »

And here are the final prices of the pieces auctioned two years ago:

Lot 737 Still life with lemons and green bottles on a shelf signed RB Jan ?06 £9,500 $18,525 € 14,060
Lot 741 Still life of Dried Flowers painted at Camberwell School of Art £8,500 $16,575 € 12,580
mags
Blade
Blade

Post by mags »

Sold for US $ 15,319.00
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Anyone else think that mosaic was utterly hideous

Now i'm not much of an art critic so i can't flaw the technique etc but if that wasn't made by Syd i couldn't see the appeal
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I wouldn't say it was hideous. But it is not the prettiest piece of art I have ever seen either. It reminds me of my Nana! :lol:
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

Well, I'm the guy with pieces of paper from two Art schools and have had numerous shows in the past (I avoided the internet, so you cannot google me and find what I have done), and in my professional opinion, Syd's pieces are quite amaturish...his name is what sells it. C'est la vie. The resale value of these is likely among Syd fans, rather than the art world. I don't see these pieces being auctioned by Sotheby's...not that that means a lot...sorry. I love Syd's recorded work.