Manzanera and Gilmour at Ronnie Scotts

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Manzanera and Gilmour at Ronnie Scotts

Post by Keith Jordan »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/cult ... eview.html

Where do progressive rock instrumentalists go when they get old? To Ronnie Scott's, apparently. Two British guitar heroes shared a small stage in the intimate venue, Roxy Music's Phil Manzanera and Pink Floyd's David Gilmour trading solos on tricksy instrumentals, backed by a small band of jazz-rock virtuosos, while bald men murmured their appreciation.

The duelling guitar legends were the highlight of a strange evening. Manzanera was in the middle of a three-night residency performing songs from his obscure solo catalogue. A genial host, he seemed suitably embarrassed at the ungainly pretentiousness of many of the titles, starting his set with Fortunately, I Had One With Me, apparently a lost classic from his 1971 school band Quiet Sun (whose drummer was also on stage). It was music to stroke a goatee beard to.

In the Seventies, progressive rock and jazz fusion were briefly viewed as a serious development for rock, as it strained towards the high ground of classical, before punk swept it all away. Now it tends to sound fussy and pretentious, although I have a friend who swears that the second side of Yes's Close to the Edge remains the pinnacle of rock's musical achievement. I suspect many of those at Ronnie Scott's shared this point of view.

Manzanera has been an innovative guitarist but he is known more for his atmospheric washes and clever use of effects than for his technical virtuosity. He is a natural sideman. His instrumentals tend to be over-elaborate, with no centre to really get hold of. In plain language, there are no songs. A jazzy reworking of Roxy's In Every Dream Home demonstrated how much better all this musical experimentation is when it has a strong piece to spin off.

Indeed, Manzanera's status as a sideman was emphasised by the appearance of Gilmour. Manzanera has been rhythm guitarist on Gilmour's recent solo tours and it was easy to see who is the boss, and why. Gilmour took the band through a seductive piece from New Orleans jazzman Sidney Bechet. It was breathtaking stuff. Then the two guitarists locked together for a rhythmic, inventive assault on Miles Davis's Kilimanjaro. But when Gilmour left the stage to rapturous applause, Manzanera and his band started playing another instrumental from the early Seventies. It made you realise just why the Sex Pistols had to happen.

Rating **
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Re: Manzanera and Gilmour at Ronnie Scotts

Post by J Ed »

I think the reviewer is fussy and pretentious

Gilmour playing Sidney Bechet and Miles Davis toons? I wanna hear that
btw this is the 2nd time Ive read the name Quiet Sun in recent days: Bill MacCormick of Matching Mole was also in that band
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Edwardisimus wrote:I wanna hear that
Me too.
...still nothing ...on usual places.
mojoman
Blade
Blade

Post by mojoman »

i want another ROXY album and tour!!!!
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

did this audiodo ever get out there?
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

J Ed wrote:Gilmour playing Sidney Bechet and Miles Davis toons? I wanna hear that
To see if he's qualified?
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

J Ed wrote:did this audiodo ever get out there?
Not yet.
Apparently there are rumours that there will be some kind of an official dvd issued....
According to "pulse and spirit" website the concert has been recorded and filmed officially and there are plans for a release on CD and DVD.

One other thing besides the fact that Davey played a bit of jazz is that he played his Fender Black Strat replica while the original Black was
sitting there behind him.

snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I wonder does he ever mix them up? :lol:
Hopefully a DVD does come out.
sherer
Axe
Axe

Post by sherer »

I was at this gig. I sat at the table next to David and his family. Was a great night, will have to check again if a CD ever came out of it.

I remember Phil was promoting an album called Firebird about the Gibson firebird guitar, if my memory is correct :D
czgibson
Blade
Blade

Post by czgibson »

Here are two guys who each know exactly which model of guitar they like to play best.
mojoman
Blade
Blade

Post by mojoman »

sherer wrote:I was at this gig. I sat at the table next to David and his family. Was a great night, will have to check again if a CD ever came out of it.

I remember Phil was promoting an album called Firebird about the Gibson firebird guitar, if my memory is correct :D

lucky you!! correct and this would be a beautiful release!!!!
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

sherer wrote:I was at this gig. I sat at the table next to David and his family. Was a great night, will have to check again if a CD ever came out of it.
Did you exchange words with Gilmour and his family while you were there?

I wish I'd known about this gig. Then again, it wouldn't have mattered because I live in the U.S. It sounds like it was a low-key thing even though there were two guitar greats performing that evening. I'm looking forward to the DVD/CD release!
sherer
Axe
Axe

Post by sherer »

Enish wrote:
Did you exchange words with Gilmour and his family while you were there?

I wish I'd known about this gig. Then again, it wouldn't have mattered because I live in the U.S. It sounds like it was a low-key thing even though there were two guitar greats performing that evening. I'm looking forward to the DVD/CD release!
He was there with his family so left him on his own. To be honest if any of us met David there isn't anything we can say that he hasn't heard before.

Some bloke got drunk and tried to talk to him and go thrown out
Gem
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Gem »

sherer wrote:I was at this gig. I sat at the table next to David and his family.
Nice.
Enish wrote:I wish I'd known about this gig.
Me too.
sherer wrote:He was there with his family so left him on his own. To be honest if any of us met David there isn't anything we can say that he hasn't heard before.
:smt023
Manzanera's status as a sideman was emphasised by the appearance of Gilmour. Manzanera has been rhythm guitarist on Gilmour's recent solo tours and it was easy to see who is the boss, and why. Gilmour took the band through a seductive piece from New Orleans jazzman Sidney Bechet. It was breathtaking stuff.
8)
sherer
Axe
Axe

Post by sherer »

checked Phil's site out the other day and looks like the live version of this isn't available yet