Back to back to Square one.

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
filthyfish
Blade
Blade

Back to back to Square one.

Post by filthyfish »

Ok kiddies, I have what amounts to about 4 tracks, maybe five, as it looks like if we wait for BPM to finish this it might never happen, So I am offering my services to put it all together and finish it host it and anything else that needs doing to get it done and dusted.
If There enough enthusiam for it and if there are some other tracks that are finished/ part finished that the contributors have locally on their machines email me.
[email protected]

It would be a real shame to just drop this but if no one else is interested, i guess it will wither and fade. <.8.>
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Back to back to Square one.

Post by Hudini »

I was actually thinking about re-recording "Some Of Them" myself.

I think the whole idea of bunch of people writing songs, three or four recording and just one man producing might be why the whole thing collapsed. Once the leading person is out of the picture it all falls apart.

Now I think we maybe bit more than we could chew with this. I took the coordination of the CD booklet and the imaginary band biography but I never really got any serious response from the rest of the guys in thinking it up, so I think we might consider dropping the whole Charybdis thing out.

So what do we have finished for now? A dozen songs stored by a person we can't access anymore and a bunch of pictures which don't really tell a story. If you ask me, we have nothing and I admit that very reluctantly.

So, is there anyone else who shares my opinion? Shall we stick to the Charybdis story or try to make another album such as "Double Core"?
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

I'm of the same opinion, Hudini. As much work as we put into the Charybdis project, it might just be best to drop it. I was kindof thinking of something along the lines of Double Core 2. Perhaps the "final" Pink Floyd album before Rick passed on? Maybe it could be a concept album about the Earth, and the sorry state it's in, as David and Roger are both philanthropists. We could call it "A State Of Affairs" or something. 8) I don't know, just throwing ideas out there.
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

It should be finished.

But, however that is done, it will require some final production by somebody. I think filthyfish is the man, going by what he has already done. I think we should take up his generous offerand he should take lead of musical production.

Perhaps we should defer the question of Charybdis or not until we see what we have music-wise. If we find that we can hang the Charybdis story off the music then we should, because we do have the elements to do so, else we drop it (but I don't see the sense in coming up with another concept if we do drop Charybdis).

Whatever else, I definitely think it should be a single CD, not double.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

PooF wrote:Whatever else, I definitely think it should be a single CD, not double.
I second that.

Now that would mean some songs will have to be dropped out, and for the sake of fair play I think we should leave the selection to the authors.

I have only contributed one song ("Some Of Them") but I also made an instrumental demo for Tanner's Hitch Hiker Song (that's the way I call it because I can't remember if it ever had a title, but I think we all know which song I'm talking about) which I sent to Geoff not long before he left the forum and never got an answer. In the meantime I have misplaced the demo somewhere and I don't really remember the way it went, so that means I'll have to kiss that one goodbye.
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

Unfortunately, Geoff owns the copyright to all the music I did with him. The only original song, meaning I wrote both the lyrics AND music, I have is "Someday I'll Take The Time". Everything else is 50% his. Without his permission, I wouldn't feel right about using his stuff. I see no problem with everyone else recycling there contributions for something new (since it belongs to you and not Geoff), but unfortunately I am down to one song where I contributed maybe 6 or 7 to the Charybdis project.
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

cwta eugene wrote:Unfortunately, Geoff owns the copyright to all the music I did with him. The only original song, meaning I wrote both the lyrics AND music, I have is "Someday I'll Take The Time". Everything else is 50% his. Without his permission, I wouldn't feel right about using his stuff. I see no problem with everyone else recycling there contributions for something new (since it belongs to you and not Geoff), but unfortunately I am down to one song where I contributed maybe 6 or 7 to the Charybdis project.
This highlights the reason for going for 1 CD, cwta eugene. Geoff had a lot of musical input into the original concept. If he is no longer involved then we just have to leave those things out. It's not bad or good, it's just the way it works. Anyway, how many songs do you want? :lol:
filthyfish
Blade
Blade

Post by filthyfish »

Having looked at what I have, I think its time for a fresh project and lets consider the last one as a lesson learnt. Those involved should agree that if one person drops out their material is given to the whole group and the data is shared between at least three people. I can set up FTP access to some server space I own, So if it was needed the work could be shared. up and downloaded by whoever wanted to have that responsibility. Its a bit sad that we have to resort to this kind of rubbish, especially as its quite unlikely that any of it will make anyone any money. I'd call it intellectual envy.
Discuss.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

If the original concept of the project is dropped, then there is no real reason to include Anjanine (which, as far as I know, only made it as far as the demo I did...Geoff requested and was sent all the chord changes and whatnot for it, and said he was going to work on it, but like many others, that was the last I heard from him). And in the end, it's really just a little 60's style psychedelic folk tune, so unless we planned on doing an album/collection of that nature, there is little point in including it. I'd be up for a different project, definitely though. I'm always working on new material that could fit into a variety of projects.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I'm going to chime in with my two cents, here.

I think that the notion that this should be of "professional quality" be ditched.

Not everyone who wants to be involved with this project has access to the same quality of equipment that others have. The idea, I feel, should be to involve as many forum members as possible, rather than focus upon creating something that meets the "standards" of an "industry" that this project is designed to cirumvent in the first place.

Nothing wrong with making it sound as good as you can. But some people simply can't record tracks with the quality of a high dollar professional studio.

This whole tribute project started out as a "homegrown" sort of thing...and I think it should continue in that fashion.
filthyfish
Blade
Blade

Post by filthyfish »

mosespa wrote:I'm going to chime in with my two cents, here.

I think that the notion that this should be of "professional quality" be ditched.

Not everyone who wants to be involved with this project has access to the same quality of equipment that others have. The idea, I feel, should be to involve as many forum members as possible, rather than focus upon creating something that meets the "standards" of an "industry" that this project is designed to cirumvent in the first place.

Nothing wrong with making it sound as good as you can. But some people simply can't record tracks with the quality of a high dollar professional studio.

This whole tribute project started out as a "homegrown" sort of thing...and I think it should continue in that fashion.
What Mosespa said.
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

So...are we moving on to something new? I have had some ideas running in my head the last few days. How about a DSOTM revisited for our day? I know DSOTM deals with timeless themes, but there are many fears and pressures in place today that weren't felt by the people of 1972, such as the fear of Aids and unsafe sex, the fact that most people back then didn't have a nuclear neighbor just across the border, that "big brother" is watching us at an increasingly alarming rate, that people can no longer retire at 60, but pushing more towards 80, that terrorism has reached the American borders, etc. etc. Wudda ya think guys? And I'm with Sean on this, it doesn't have to be perfect. When I suggest DSOTM revisited I don't mean it has to be quadrophonic ear candy like the original, just that it be a concept album we can all share our doubts and fears through. I'm up for other suggestions to, let's just make up our minds and run with it! :D
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I'm down with this idea. :D

Question: Can the stuff that's already been recorded fit this concept? Or do we need to put this idea on the back burner and finish doing something with this existing material first?
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

mosespa wrote:I'm down with this idea. :D

Question: Can the stuff that's already been recorded fit this concept? Or do we need to put this idea on the back burner and finish doing something with this existing material first?
More precise - do I need to remake Deep Horizon (sure hope not...)?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Deep Horizon is for a totally different project, Moom. :lol:

And no, you do not need to remake it. :D