Back to back to Square one.

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Back to back to Square one.

Post by PooF »

filthyfish and mosespa, given your skills and experience in production, what do you think about coming up with a proposal for how this progresses? That way we (everybody else) have something to work around? I *guess* everyone else would be happy to work with your basic idea(s).
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Okay...I can think of at least two ways this could be done.

1. Like with "Double Core," everyone involved can be responsible for writing and recording their own songs whilst a central "producer" assembles the finished project from the various recordings.

Problem: If we're going with the "Charibdys" concept, this will not yield a uniform sound as though every song were being done by the same band.

or

2. As I first suggested back in the day; have someone designated as the drummer who will be responsible for recording all the drum tracks, someone designated as the bassist who will be responsible for recording all the bass tracks, etc. etc. etc.

All songs will be written by whomever is writing (ideally, as many people as we can get involved) and recorded in a simple demo fashion. As was standard procedure with Queen, I would suggest that the songwriter has the final say in the shape of the song.

What this means is that the songwriter's demo should completely outline the skeleton of the song. It should be done with a click track (to keep everyone in time) and should include space for any/all solos.

These demos can then be collected by a central "producer" and then distributed to "The Band" for their parts to be put on.

Problem: That's probably going to take some time.

If anyone else has ideas for how to pull this off, I think everyone's all ears.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I'm more inclined to scrap the whole previous project (although it may be possible to use some of the songs from it if we have them) and go with an entirely new concept and project using the Double Core model. We've seen the problems that can arise with a central band and producer, yet we also saw how Double Core worked and was completed, so why not go with what works? Double Core turned out great, IMO. I am not at all bothered by the fact that each song had it's own distinctive flavour because of the different artists (and it's a good showcase for those artists to get their name out there), and I am not bothered if it isn't top notch pro studio production. I honestly had more fun doing, and more interest invested in the Double Core project. Now if you want an idea, I would say let's do a collection of original songs inspired by the post-Syd psychedelic/space rock/pastoral era of Floyd. That may not be a popular idea, but it's the one I'm throwing out, as that is my favourite era, and I would love to do something like that. Whatever we choose, it could be a "double" album or whatever size it might turn out to be depending on how many people want to contribute, and whether some want to contribute multiple pieces or not (although a cap should be put on it is somewhere, like say up to two pieces per contributing artist/band).
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Massed Gadgets wrote:scrap the whole previous project
let's do a collection of original songs inspired by the post-Syd psychedelic/space rock/pastoral era of Floyd
Count me in on that one.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I think one of the things that makes Double Core so special in the first place is the very diversity of it all...and yet it all still had this intangible connecting thread (that being our shared love of PF.)

It DID work, didn't it? :D

I think that leaving the production of each song up to the person who's going to be writing/recording each song will allow for a richer texture overall. Some people may go for full, bombastic band arrangments while others may go for a "bare bones" approach. And all points in between.

I think we're on a good path, here.
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

and i will make the band shirts :lol: :lol:
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

mosespa wrote:Deep Horizon is for a totally different project, Moom. :lol:
you made my night :lol:
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

You're great Moom! :lol:

So what was the template for Double Core? If I remember right, it was a fake PF album that had names already decided on and we each grabbed a song and designated it our own (in my case I only wrote the lyrics but found a very competent group of musicians to help me out). So first we need a fake PF album, right?

Then the rest is sort of vague for me so this is where Sean comes in to play...(awaits for a detailed time line of events from Mosespa) :-;
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

*comes to save the day*

I like MG's idea of using the post-Piper, pre-Meddle timeline as something to shoot for.

We could think of it as a "lost album."

Like, what if there had been an all-new, full album between More and AHM instead of a live album with some solo experiments?

How's that work for everyone?
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

cwta eugene wrote:You're great Moom! :lol:

So what was the template for Double Core? If I remember right, it was a fake PF album that had names already decided on and we each grabbed a song and designated it our own (in my case I only wrote the lyrics but found a very competent group of musicians to help me out). So first we need a fake PF album, right?

Then the rest is sort of vague for me so this is where Sean comes in to play...(awaits for a detailed time line of events from Mosespa) :-;
All true.

especially baout me :lol:
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

mosespa wrote:We could think of it as a "lost album."
Right, I've already unpacked a set of wine glasses, now all I need to do is go get some duct tape. :lol:

Seriously though, I like the idea a lot. And we don't need to worry about the diversity of songs at all. Take ASOS or "Zabriskie Point" as examples, the way songs on both those albums differ in mood, structure, themes, even production work. Hell, we don't even need to worry about different people singing when even Pink Floyd had 5 lead vocalists on ASOS.
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

Sorry Sean, I think you miss understood me concerning the time line thing (though a fake PF album in between Piper and Meddle is a great idea 8) ). Let me ask it another way-how did "Double Core" come to be? I can start off with the first few instances:

1. A fake PF album was posted by Jambo.
2. Mosespa reccomends making the "fake" album into a reality.
3. Cwta Eugene writes lyrics for "No Heaven, No Hell".
4. Others claim the song titles they want.
5. What happened here?
6. And here?
7. And here?
8. And here?
9. What about here?
10. The album is completed with artwork to suit and distributed to the fine members of NPF.

I think it's important to follow what worked with Double Core because...well...it worked! :lol:
Did the album have only one main producer or many? How were songs distributed to the producer(s)? Did each song get distributed pretty much done or were bass lines, drum fills, guitar solos, etc. added by others? Inquiring minds want to know! :D
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Well, personally, I don't think we need to follow exactly what happened with Double Core, as in, we don't need to start scouring the internet searching for a fake album cover with song titles on it. But I do think it is best that a) individuals or groups of individuals write, perform and record their pieces, and b) there is a central producer to collect and assemble the finished songs into an album or compilation, as Sean did with Double Core. I don't think we should limit it to a set number of tracks either. As well as Double Core worked, one of it's minor weaknesses was that when some musicians didn't come through with their contributions, it left Sean trying to fill in the gaps on his own. The number of finished contributions sent in would determine the length of the album. By saying that the songs should be inspired and influenced by the post Syd psychedelic era of Floyd, we're ensuring some kind of consistency to the overall sound of the album, but with the nice variation that we saw on Double Core as well. I think this model works better than the other one, because it means the work is more evenly distributed amongst the contributors (i.e., more likely to get done) and if something did happen to the "producer" before the project was finished, each artist/band would still have their completed song which they could send to a replacement producer and nothing would be lost.

That's not to say that their can't and won't be some mini-internet collaborations, as there was with Double Core. So for example, CWTA Eugene, if you have some lyrics you want to contribute, post it in our thread, and find a collaborator to do the music. But it will still be up to the two of you to finish the song (i.e. written, played and recorded) before it's sent to the central producer, just like we did with Double Core.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Just for the fun of it, I'll fill in this time line. :D
cwta eugene wrote:Sorry Sean, I think you miss understood me concerning the time line thing (though a fake PF album in between Piper and Meddle is a great idea 8) ). Let me ask it another way-how did "Double Core" come to be? I can start off with the first few instances:

1. A fake PF album was posted by Jambo.
2. Mosespa reccomends making the "fake" album into a reality.
3. Cwta Eugene writes lyrics for "No Heaven, No Hell".
4. Others claim the song titles they want.
5. What happened here?
6. And here?
7. And here?
8. And here?
9. What about here?
10. The album is completed with artwork to suit and distributed to the fine members of NPF.

I think it's important to follow what worked with Double Core because...well...it worked! :lol:
Did the album have only one main producer or many? How were songs distributed to the producer(s)? Did each song get distributed pretty much done or were bass lines, drum fills, guitar solos, etc. added by others? Inquiring minds want to know! :D
5. Everyone started work on their songs independently.

6. Everyone sent their songs to me and I started working out an album sequence.

7. Listening to everyone's submissions made me panic and I quickly re-recorded "Come And See" to try to bring it up to par. :lol:

8. The remaining bits got taken care of (for example, my additions to the Deep Horizon parts.)

9. I finalized a running order and applied some EQ and compression to everything.

To answer your other questions; I've always considered that each song was produced by the indivduals involved with the recording. Some of them may have had outside producers at the sessions they recorded their Double Core songs at, but each song was individually produced by someone involved in the recording of it, I think.

The songs were then sent to me when they were finished.

The parts of Deep Horizon were really the only things that I added anything to. I took an "Executive Producer" credit since I decided on the running order and how the songs would flow into each other...and also because I couldn't see myself taking a "producer" credit since I wasn't the producer of each individual track. I just assembled the thing and shaped it's final form.

I'll be happy to do that with this project, too...unless someone else wants to. :D
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

Very good!! <ii> I think we've got something going here guys! MG, you've already got Anjanine, which is a beautiful song by the way, and very psychedelic, should we use that as a starting point?

Edit: I began writing this song during my lunch hour. Let me know what you guys think:

Let's lay the tracks for a life together,
Side by side, like the rails we'll weather
The storm, I'll keep you warm

You lay the iron, I'll drive the spikes,
And we'll travel anywhere you like
My dear, the world is our frontier

So come with me-
Take my hand, be my wife
And we'll ride the bumpy locomotive train
That is our life

Hand in hand together-
Through the smoke, the jolts, and dust
The sidetracks and delays will see our little engine rust

But if you and I can ride this train
Until we're out of line
Make an "ours" out of what was yours
And what was mine

In the setting sun we'll reach the sea
And look back at those rails,
And oh what a tale we'll have to tell
And oh what a tale we'll have to tell
Last edited by cwta eugene on Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.