My Theory about why Roger hasnt put out any new albums

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
kitkat
Knife
Knife

My Theory about why Roger hasnt put out any new albums

Post by kitkat »

I believe Roger could put out another Amused To Death if he was willing to work hard on it.

But, he was so pissed at the lack of critical claim and album sales that he figured he wouldnt bother anymore. He doesnt like putting out albums that arent going to be huge smashes....I figure the opera was a just side hobby.

In earlier interviews, before he tried to reconcile with the others, he would refer to Rick's solo albums as "those awful albums Rick puts out". We know he hated Division Bell and one can only wonder if he has even listened to OAI and if he did...I am sure he hated it.

He often refers to his the 3-pronged highlight of his career being DSOTM, The Wall, and Amused To Death. He says that even now even though nobody bought the album and he doesnt make albums for just a few Roger junkies like me.

So, if nobody is going to buy Amused To Death, which in his mind is on par with DSOTM and The Wall....then screw it. Without the brand name, nobody is going to notice or care.

Its a shame the brand name is controlled by somebody who doesnt want anybody, including himself, to use it ever again.
mosespa

Re: My Theory about why Roger hasnt put out any new albums

Post by mosespa »

I think it's because he got some therapy and dealt with his issues...so, nothing to write about anymore. :D
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Becouse he is comfortably numb. Again.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

mosespa wrote:I think it's because he got some therapy and dealt with his issues...so, nothing to write about anymore. :D
Well it is weird, he didn't write a single line about his father in 17 years.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

kitkat wrote: Its a shame the brand name is controlled by somebody who doesnt want anybody, including himself, to use it ever again.
Well, it was Roger who walked away from the brand name, saying it was a spent force. i think he's just run out of things to write about. He hasn't penned a decent tune in years.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

He hasn't penned a single tunes in years, and he wrote the last decent one ten years ago.
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

Look at his sax player's website - the guy who produced RADIO KAOS.

Roger is always writing and recording.

Don't you recall some "new" songs from the sound checks on the last tour being bootlegged?
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Yup, I remember some "new" songs being bootlegged by people who haven't even heard "Amused To Death".
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Interesting post. It seems to me though like Roger's just more happy to rest on his laurels and tour dark side or rewrite the wall for broadway than to produce original music. Keep in mind that the guy is a pensioner, he was creatively active for the best part of 30 years so not surprised if he finds music harder to write and has less incentive to make music rather than relax as a family man. We don't know he isn't still writing. He suggested Heartland could potentially be a double CD. All we know is the songs are generally not made public. It sounds like he may have hit a bit of a block though because of how long this new album is taking him to do, and really, when your best stuff is in the past then i can see why it would be tempting to live off it instead.

As for him regarding ATD as being one of his crowning achievments i'm not sure how seriously i take him saying that. He raises awareness of the album by telling people that and kind of cements that he wants to be taken seriously as a solo artists so i think there's a certain amount of saying it for his public image. He's cited it as one of the albums that people love and that he'll be remembered for (look up his interview in Word Magazine from two years back) but i couldn't see why he'd genuinely have more pride in it than WYWH or even TFC. I'd speculate that it's to serve as a reminder that he is more than just the guy who used to be the leader of Pink Floyd 30 years ago
CatherineMa14
Hammer
Hammer

Post by CatherineMa14 »

I think he is probably tired as hell. Fighting with Dave, working as a musician?? Besides, maybe his "creative juices" are running out. I wouldn't be surprised. Someone who has written so much in the past is probably content just to let that do the talking. If you know what I mean. And he is what, 65 now?
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

CatherineMa14 wrote:Someone who has written so much in the past is probably content just to let that do the talking.
The way I see it, he hasn't really been a much prolific writer. If we count "The Wall" and "The Final Cut" as they are mostly his works, then he wrote only 5 albums in 20 years. The rest of the albums were more of a band effort, and he hasn't been credited as a sole writer for more than 30 songs on all of them together.
kitkat
Knife
Knife

Post by kitkat »

Yeah, Animals was quite the team effort there....that is 90% Waters.

I figure DSOTM is over 50% Waters for sure.

But, you are right....he works slow...like a perfectionist.

Sadly, I think he may be done.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Yes. Blame the therapist who's made grumpy old Rog all mellow and happy. Next album he brings out will sound like On An Island :smt043
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

kitkat wrote:Yeah, Animals was quite the team effort there....that is 90% Waters.
Let's take "Animals" for example. For one, "Dogs" is technically Gilmour's tune, with lyrics by Waters. That alone is about 40% of the album, speaking in percentage. And although Wright used to state he had nothing to offer on "Animals" and on, his absence does show on "The Final Cut" and most of "The Wall". So I'd say he did contribute a lot, although he wasn't credited for songwriting. Plus Waters doesn't even play on "Sheep".

You know, arrangements are an important part of songwriting, although you don't get songwriter credits for them. For another example, the version of "Money" you can hear on the album has very important contributions by Gilmour, Wright and Dick Parry, but only Waters is credited for writing it. Without other people, the song would have sounded more like the demo version, but (thank goodness) other people put their ideas in there too. So I'd say it was still a band effort, no matter who got the credits.
kitkat
Knife
Knife

Post by kitkat »

Hudini,

Dogs is one song on the album...the album has 4 or 5 songs....really 4 I guess...so thats 25%. The fact that it has that long screechy part shouldnt count...shouldnt be minutes but number of songs.

If Waters didnt play on Sheep, I couldnt care less. If Beethoven didnt play on a version of his 5th symphony that you like, does that mean jack? No it doesnt. That is what session musicians are for.

Finally, the old canard about how the songs that Waters has the writing credit are not really his, I think is not right...although I get the point. Should many of the great Lennon/McCartney tunes include George Harrison since he came up with the guitar solo...I dont think so. Not protocol...not the way things are done.

Regarding Wright...that is a touchy can of worms...especially now. But, I think Wright was essential for DSOTM and WYWH and he made some nice contributions to Sheep but not much and as far as The Wall goes...since it is my favorite album and Wright doesnt really have anything to do with it...I think the band got by without Wright very well.