Who Is The Ego-Maniac?

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

David's idea of a good cover:

:roll:

Roger's idea of a good cover:

---------------

Who's the ego-maniac again?

:lol:
Last edited by Real Pink in the Inside on Sun Oct 13, 2002 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Certainly not this jolly ole chap:

[img]http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/photo ... pg_jpg.jpg[/img]
Last edited by Real Pink in the Inside on Sun Oct 13, 2002 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
summer68
Axe
Axe

Post by summer68 »

i highly doubt that the artist has 100% input on what the cover of a dvd will be
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

The artist is the one who usually chooses the final cover out of various proposals, and certainly that is the case with Roger and David, I would imagine. Remember hearing Storm tell the story of how the band looked at a few proposals for DSOTM and chose the prism? I am sure the same type of thing happened with David and Roger and their respective DVD.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

You better have an ego in the music business and Dave certainly has one, but I don't find anything wrong with that at all. Roger has an even bigger ego in my opinion. After Roger left the band it took a lot of balls to do what Dave and the boys did and they were very sucessful at it. Sometimes confidence is mistaken for ego. Roger on the other hand just finished a very sucessful tour. I think it took a huge ego (confidence) to pull that off considering that he performed the songs with different musicians. Not to mention some of the songs he did Dave originally sang. People identify songs with the person who sang them I think. I don't care for Rogers version of WYWH for example, I think Dave sings it much better. It just does not sound good when Roger sings it. It's Rogers ego saying that says he can perform that song. They both have huge ego's and that's what drives them to be sucessful.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Anonymous wrote:You better have an ego in the music business and Dave certainly has one, but I don't find anything wrong with that at all. Roger has an even bigger ego in my opinion.
Look at the covers of all of Roger's albums. Now take a look at the covers of all of David's albums. Do you see a significant difference between the two?

If Roger is such a bigger ego-maniac, why isn't he plastering his face over everything he is involved with? Putting your face on everything possible is a staple-mark of your usual ego-maniac in the music business, right?
Anonymous wrote: People identify songs with the person who sang them I think. .
If that is the case, then people should be identifying Pink Floyd with not ONLY David Gilmour, Rick Wright and Nick Mason, but ROGER WATERS, David Gilmour, Rick Wright and Nick Mason, considering the fact that Roger Waters has sung more songs in the history of Pink Floyd than anyone else! (See the thread "Who is Pink Floyd's Lead Voice?").

Myself, I identify songs with the person(s) who WROTE them more than anything. Obviously that's the way it should be. David Gilmour may have sung WYWH, but they are Roger's words. A song's meaning is much more important than who sung it, right? Then obviously people should be identifying songs mostly with the person(s) who WROTE them, not who SUNG them.

When people went to "Pink Floyd" during the MLOR and DB tours, did they REALLY see "Pink Floyd" in your opinion?
Anonymous wrote: It just does not sound good when Roger sings it.
You shouldn't state your opinion as fact.
Anonymous wrote: It's Rogers ego saying that says he can perform that song. They both have huge ego's and that's what drives them to be sucessful.
Some facts to consider:

A) All of the songs Roger performed during his ITF tours were written either entirely by himself or with the help of others.

Question: This entitles him to perform those songs live under his OWN NAME, right? If not, why?

B) Some songs "Pink Floyd" played during their Division Bell tour, for example, were written solely by Roger Waters (Ex. "Money," "Hey You!," "Another Brick in the Wall Part II").

Question: Why are you not throwing a hoopla over that fact?

C) Every Roger Waters show is advertised as a Roger Waters show. Roger Waters has never put on a show by himself and claimed to be PINK FLOYD.

Question: Why are you talking about missing David Gilmour's voice on certain songs during a ROGER WATERS show, but not talking about missing Roger Waters' voice on certain songs during a supposed PINK FLOYD show? You should not expect to see Pink Floyd when you are going to a Roger Waters show. Conversely, you should expect to see PINK FLOYD when you are going to a PINK FLOYD show, but that was clearly not the case during the MLOR and DB tours (i.e., we did not see PINK FLOYD during these tours, we saw PINK FLOYD WITHOUT ROGER WATERS pretending to be PINK FLOYD (with Roger Waters). That clearly does NOT make them PINK FLOYD).

D) MLOR was written entirely by David Gilmour and non-Floyd members. In addition, Nick Mason appears on only half of the songs on the album, and Richard Wright appears on none of them (See the thread "Is TFC really a RW album? Is MLOR really a DG album?").

Question: You stated that it is Roger's ego that drives him to perform WYWH, for example, live under his own name. Do you still believe that? If so, I guess you won't make an argument if I state: "David Gilmour's ego drove him to call HIMSELF PINK FLOYD BACK IN 1986-87!"

Final question: Who is the bigger ego-maniac again? Certainly not David Gilmour, right? The one who would have you believe "I'm the jolly one. I'm the jolly, happy one." (See the article "Cash for Questions With David Gilmour" in Q magazine, June 1999)
Last edited by Real Pink in the Inside on Sun Oct 13, 2002 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
sound_chaser
Axe
Axe

Post by sound_chaser »

Who is the egomaniac? That's easy Real Pink. It's You! I don't know why you despise David Gilmour so much? His contribution to Pink Floyd has been immense. No one could possibly argue against the fact that Roger Waters was the songwriter and the bands visionary, though where he took the band to was destructive in the extreme! You can argue that Waters is the principle vocalist until you're blue in the face, and I accept what you say about a songwriter singing his own songs. But the plain truth is that Gilmour is simply a much better vocalist. He is far more melodic and has a much better range. Waters lack of range is one of the reasons his songwriting became more polarized. It’s a great shame for Waters, but of the four vocalists of Pink Floyd, he is demonstrably, the worst. The Gilmour/Waters-Waters/Gilmour debate is a moot point. Why should we care when their legacy is so amazing? It's the same with Lennon/McCartney. Whenever anyone asks me who I think was best, I just say neither, they can’t be separated. I appreciate M.L.O.R was a bit of a con. T.D.B though, was in the main far more accomplished. Yes there were two or three stadium rockers, which spoilt the album, but the majority of that album was a huge success. I really like it. As indeed I do Amused To Death. But in both those albums, similarly to solo Lennon and McCartney albums, you can hear what's missing is the contribution from their former partner!
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

sound_chaser wrote:I don't know why you despise David Gilmour so much?
I do not despise David Gilmour the musician.

What I do despise are some of the things David Gilmour did/said in the past. I also do not like it when people claim that Roger Waters is/was an evil tyrant and David Gilmour is/was a jolly teddy bear.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Oi real inside pink, i agree with you completly.

Oh, and yes David Gilmour has more of an ego and i presume cares less for the music and fans than Waters. Think about this, since Waters left the following has been released in shops:

ACOGDS - a tenner
AMLOR- a tenner
TDSOT cd and video - 20 quid
SO box set - 30 quid wasn't it
TDB - a tenner
Pulse cd and video - 20 quid wasn't it
ITAOT cd and box set - 30 quid for box set. bout 20 for cd
Echoes - 15 quid
Oh, and some dvd comes out soon does it not? 'bout 20 quid

Ok, that's 8 products (many on more than 1 format) and a dvd of pulse that's supposedly coming out. Now correct me if i'm wrong (maybe i miss calcultaed) but only 2 of those products have new material on them. So if i'm missing the mark then tel me, but that means fans don't get anything new from 3 quarters of those products. Oh, and look at the prices. So that's almost 200 pound worth of merchandise that's going to come out by the end of the year, 20 quid of which gives you new material.

Hmmmmm, no cashins i hope.

Post by Guest »

NEITHER....
OF THEM WHAT SO EVER
Mexicanfloyd

Post by Mexicanfloyd »

Excuse my english please...
I think that all this discussion abou the egos is al subjective... I doesn´t is about DVD´s artwork or Who sung more songs... i think taha everybody in music industry have to has a big ego... but , for example, in the Pink Floyd show i never saw a screen showing a member (Gilmour, Mason or Wright) playing... in The Waters Show i saw two screens showing himself and the band...this doesn´t matter it is a subjective point of view.... I think tha Pink Floyd it´s a great band with tree leves o music development... Barret, Waters and Gilmour´s eras are different but good...
by the way, i dont think that people connect the song with the one who write it´s lyrics, i think that it is with the one who sings the song an the one which composed the music, in the case of WYWH, Gilmour wrote the music (Waters said once that it is the best riff that Gilmour wrote)
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Waters and Gilmour are both credited with writing the music to WYWH.

Waters is credited with writing the lyrics to WYWH.
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

You have to be subjective when it comes to who wrote what on Pink Floyd songs. Certainly all the lyrics from DARK SIDE to THE FINAL CUT were written by Roger Waters, but as far as the music goes, it depends on who you ask.
A good example is "Comfortably Numb". David Gilmour has said that the credits to the song should read 'Lyrics: Waters, Music: Gilmour', he has said the Roger had no involvement in the writing of the music in the song. However, Roger Waters has said that all David Gilmour did was come up with a guitar riff, and Waters finished it. It really depends on your point of view.
Another example would be "Is There Anybody Out There", which David says was almost completely written by Bob Ezrin, but is credited as a Roger Waters song on the album. Maybe David is more generous in crediting other peoples input on his songs, but I wasn't there so I don't know.
Regardless of who's side you're on ( and why is it that Pink Floyd fans either seem to be either Roger, David or Syd fans, what's wrong with liking all three eras of the band?), you cannot deny that Roger and David wrote some fantastic songs together. And I would have to agree with David Gilmour's comments that some of the bands best moments were when Roger's lyrics were combined with David's music.
FloydNZ
Blade
Blade

Post by FloydNZ »

dgsyd1 wrote:Regardless of who's side you're on ( and why is it that Pink Floyd fans either seem to be either Roger, David or Syd fans, what's wrong with liking all three eras of the band?), you cannot deny that Roger and David wrote some fantastic songs together. And I would have to agree with David Gilmour's comments that some of the bands best moments were when Roger's lyrics were combined with David's music.
I totally agree with you dgsyd1

I think that the main thing that we all should remember is that while many of us view our musical heroes as Gods, they are only human like the rest of us, and therefore they have failings like the rest of us.

hands up all of you that have never made a bad choice
or have never said something that you later regretted
or have never told a lie to advance your own cause
or have never gone back on something you have said

i could go on but i think you'll get my drift........
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

I think it is Roger with the big ego. You can really tell that too.....If you ever read the cover for The Final Cut it says" by Roger Waters performed by Pink Floyd".