Another "Absolute Radio" Competition. Your Thoughts....

Introduce yourself by saying hello! Also, site news/info.

Should NPF Enter the next Absolute Radio Competition?

Yes
76%
No
12%
Infidderent
12%

Total votes: 17

Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Another "Absolute Radio" Competition. Your Thoughts....

Post by Keith Jordan »

Absolute Radio have been in touch again regarding another battle of the forums like the "Rock Off" competition we had in December last year where we got to the final and lost to Green Day!

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/index ... 368-absr-f

Anyway, I was just wondering if you all thought it would be a good idea to enter their next competition next month.

The new competition is called “Live Stories” (working title) and is part of Absolute’s Summer of Live where the radio station is covering several festivals and gigs over the summer. For the competition we’ll be asking forums to discuss their members’ best gig or festival experiences. Then every week each forum will submit their best story to Absolute’s website. The top ten (or roundabouts) will be discussed on air and the public will be invited to vote for their favourite.

We’ve yet to finalize the prizes, but these could be tickets to a festival or a VIP experience where the winner gets to be an Absolute Radio correspondent at an event.
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Another "Absolute Radio" Competition. Your Thoughts....

Post by ddebil »

I voted yes, with the proviso that you don't cheat. :lol:
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

:lol: I didn't cheat!! Pink Floyd rock and should have won! :)
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

We should DEFINITELY enter, that one was SO FUN :D !!!

But we could do another playlist this time.

Of PF, I'd add Money as it has a very popular guitar riff, and it's a great song itself.

Of other, I'd say Robert Plant & Strange Sensations - Funny In My Mind (I Believe I'm Fixin To Die) as it's a really great psychedelic-blues song :D
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

moom wrote:But we could do another playlist this time.
Did you read ANY of the first post? :shock:
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Keith Jordan wrote:
moom wrote:But we could do another playlist this time.
Did you read ANY of the first post? :shock:
Oops... I guess memories overwhelmed me for a moment :lol:
thehumanzoo
Blade
Blade

Post by thehumanzoo »

It would depend if anyone had any memories worth sharing.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

I do :D
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

So..... does anyone have any memories of good concerts?
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

The best memories so far about whether some cool things they did on stage, beside playing, and connections between me and then :D

See, at every concert I give the best of myself, and sometimes like to bring their attention to myself if I feel like I could relate to them. Seton Daunt of Fiction Plane (Sting's son's band) showed me the devil's sign (?) in reply to my "victory" and played a solo for me (he was looking at me :D ). Michael Stipe saw me singing along and acting like in the lyrics, and spoke something to Peter while smiling and looking at me :D
And there's more to tell about that kind of thing :D

Secondly, I REALLY loved it when Sting and the band just burst into a free improvisation - FREE improvisation! - while finishing Walking On The Moon and starting Roxanne :D ! It was definitely not a pre-learned improv.
Joe Perry of Aerosmith played his guitar with a drum-stick and then, like Cobain, jumped his back forward into the drum-kit!! :D
And Stipe, whenever he sang real loud and high in Living Well Is The Best Revenge (God bless they started off with that magnificent song!), he's be posing totally like Elvis :D
Cowards
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Cowards »

I went to see Holy Fuck at a country pub in May. Was good.

Is that what you're looking for?
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Another popularity contest? Don't need it, I'm quite happy with the size of my Pink Floyd pennis.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Getting some airplay is good for the site! Sharing memories of some excellent concerts would also be fun!
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

moom wrote:See, at every concert I give the best of myself, and sometimes like to bring their attention to myself if I feel like I could relate to them. Seton Daunt of Fiction Plane (Sting's son's band) showed me the devil's sign (?) in reply to my "victory" and played a solo for me (he was looking at me :D ). Michael Stipe saw me singing along and acting like in the lyrics, and spoke something to Peter while smiling and looking at me :D
For groupies such as yourself, just basking in proximity to the display of rock and roll posers seems to be enough, as long as they are signed to a major label. At the very least they have parents who are signed to a major label. Even if those parents are uninspired because they are playing it safe, like Sting.

My greatest experiences as a fan at rock shows are all based on the quality of the actual music performed, not the posturings, whisperings or smiles of the band members.
moom wrote:Secondly, I REALLY loved it when Sting and the band just burst into a free improvisation - FREE improvisation! - while finishing Walking On The Moon and starting Roxanne :D ! It was definitely not a pre-learned improv.
There's no such thing as a pre-learned improv. It's either improvised or it's not.
I have to admit that I am curious about what you find impressive in Sting playing free between two formulaic pop songs? What's the point of playing free for a couple of minutes when 95 % of your show is based on the most commercial (dull) music possible? Sting is purposely mediocre in every calculated move he makes. I think you are impressed with CELEBRITY and not music. Just like half of the worlds Michael Jackson "fans."
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

Idisaffect wrote: For groupies such as yourself, just basking in proximity to the display of rock and roll posers seems to be enough, as long as they are signed to a major label. At the very least they have parents who are signed to a major label. Even if those parents are uninspired because they are playing it safe, like Sting.

My greatest experiences as a fan at rock shows are all based on the quality of the actual music performed, not the posturings, whisperings or smiles of the band members.

There's no such thing as a pre-learned improv. It's either improvised or it's not.
I have to admit that I am curious about what you find impressive in Sting playing free between two formulaic pop songs? What's the point of playing free for a couple of minutes when 95 % of your show is based on the most commercial (dull) music possible? Sting is purposely mediocre in every calculated move he makes. I think you are impressed with CELEBRITY and not music. Just like half of the worlds Michael Jackson "fans."
So misunderstood and so down-to-earth, you make me sound like a poser. And a poser for the sake of it.
Make me sick.

Plus, yes there is a pre-learned improv. Imagine Keith Richards or jon Lord doing solos totally similar to album versions or popular live-versions, note-to-note. Also, by pre-learned I mean a solo that the band/artist came up with without telling everybody else, like:
- Hey, why don't I do this little solo at the end of the first part of this song?
*shows it*
- Yeah, man, right on, totally do it, and I'll this bass-line as well :D
*shows the bass-line*
Last edited by moom on Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.