Childhood's End

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
HahaCharadeIam
Embryo
Embryo

Childhood's End

Post by HahaCharadeIam »

I find this to be his most underrated tunes.

As much as I love the Album version, the few Live versions available are just Amazing
Really bums me out that it has only been played a few times, He shoulda played it for the 2006 tour.
Last edited by HahaCharadeIam on Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
mosespa

Re: Childhood's End

Post by mosespa »

I think that as far as songs for which Gilmour has the sole writing credit, this is probably his best one with Pink Floyd.
Steph22
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Steph22 »

I concurr. Childhood's End is his best. Live versions with the dueling organ/guitar solos are absolutely amazing.
dearboy
Blade
Blade

Post by dearboy »

For me, this song represents the very best singing David Gilmour ever recorded. The soft growl...the blues-ey licks - he nailed this tune - especially the first line. A friend sent me a disk with every live version there is back-to-back. They vary wildly in playing and sound quality - but his voice was always great.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Don't recall if i have ever heard a live version (sure it would sound pretty decent though) but do really dig the track. Easily one of the highlights of Obscured by Clouds, and Dave's time as a sole songwriter during Pink Floyd. Lyrically it's nothing special, but then you can't expect miracles from Dave. Nice intro though, and lovely feel to it :D
Mymloch
Axe
Axe

Post by Mymloch »

I thought his lyrics were a pretty good tribute to the book by Arthur C. Clarke.
Steph22
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Steph22 »

David Smith wrote:Don't recall if i have ever heard a live version (sure it would sound pretty decent though) but do really dig the track. Easily one of the highlights of Obscured by Clouds, and Dave's time as a sole songwriter during Pink Floyd. Lyrically it's nothing special, but then you can't expect miracles from Dave. Nice intro though, and lovely feel to it :D

Actually the only live version I have is from a 2 cd boot I bought online called Early Flights. It says that song was recorded live in Cincinnatti August 3, 1973. I know others have said that Early Flights is crap, but CE is worth it. :)
HahaCharadeIam
Embryo
Embryo

Post by HahaCharadeIam »

If anyone wants to hear a Great version live. PM me and Ill see if i can send one.
TheLazenby
Knife
Knife

Post by TheLazenby »

Oh come on, this song isn't that special!

IT'S "TIME"! IT'S JUST "TIME"! Same Nick Rototoms, same groove, same rhythm, even the same key I think. You could segue one song right into the other.

Kind of like the Pompeii intro and "Speak To Me" - no one seems to notice the obvious fact that they sound a *hell* of a lot alike.
HahaCharadeIam
Embryo
Embryo

Post by HahaCharadeIam »

Time is special, so is this.
Steph22
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Steph22 »

Hear, Hear. Childhoods End is definitley in my top 10!
pinksmile
Axe
Axe

Post by pinksmile »

Mymloch wrote:I thought his lyrics were a pretty good tribute to the book by Arthur C. Clarke.
I seem to recall an episode of Arthur C. Clarke's - Mysterious World (which was a television program that screened in Australia in the late 1970's) that was titled Childhoods End. I cannot remember however what that particular episode was discussing. Can anyone help ?
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

Can't help you with that but I have found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB8m85p7 ... re=related

Fascinating subject and I had never heard of this M Set before.

Interesting comment on the music, made a couple of days ago too....
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

TheLazenby wrote:Oh come on, this song isn't that special!

IT'S "TIME"! IT'S JUST "TIME"! Same Nick Rototoms, same groove, same rhythm, even the same key I think. You could segue one song right into the other.

Kind of like the Pompeii intro and "Speak To Me" - no one seems to notice the obvious fact that they sound a *hell* of a lot alike.
I think everyone notices the similarities to time but they arent the same. The vocals are sung totally different. And ever notice how Breathe segues perfectly into time too, doesnt make them the same song.

I wonder what came first, time or childhoods end, the dates would have to be close.
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

Duckboy wrote:
I wonder what came first, time or childhoods end, the dates would have to be close.

I have always wondered that too.

I have also always wondered who came up with the tick tock bass sound. Being a Gilmour song I would think him, but Roger plays bass on DSOTM so maybe it was him? To me this is at the hear of the question "which one is pink?"