Childhood's End

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
Smillsoid
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Childhood's End

Post by Smillsoid »

It's a beautiful song, which conjures up vivid images in my mind. David's rhythm guitar playing on this track is quite inventive, and certainly bears similarities to his style on "Time", but the two songs have a completely different feel and mood.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I've always found that song more similar to the solo section of "Echoes" than to "Time", apart from the intro beat.
Smillsoid
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Smillsoid »

Yes, I seen (or hear) what you mean. Round about this time, David was experimenting a lot with new styles and techniques.
ricky66
Axe
Axe

Post by ricky66 »

Play through the intro, then the intro to Have a cigar. :smt002 This track is the blueprint for lots of PF's music.

Every (compilation) disc I've burnt for the car, my gym, home stereo, even my phone and MP3 player have Childhood's End as the first track.

IMO it has everything in the classic floyd lineup coming together. I love playing that sharp, sparse solo.

My favourite PF track by a large margin.
JackRegan
Knife
Knife

Post by JackRegan »

TheLazenby wrote:Oh come on, this song isn't that special!

IT'S "TIME"! IT'S JUST "TIME"! Same Nick Rototoms, same groove, same rhythm, even the same key I think. You could segue one song right into the other.

Kind of like the Pompeii intro and "Speak To Me" - no one seems to notice the obvious fact that they sound a *hell* of a lot alike.
mmmmm.....how about The Wall and/or Final Cut? Same old Roger Waters song over and over again...