Unreleased Syd Barrett song from late 70's "Crazy Man"

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
GhostStar
Embryo
Embryo

Unreleased Syd Barrett song from late 70's "Crazy Man"

Post by GhostStar »

during the late 70's a label called Imprint gave syd barrett a bunch of money and recording equipment to make an album for them. My girlfriend whos dad owned the label died recently, and left her everything, in it were a bunch of tapes labeled "Syd Barrett Halloween" and there were 14 of those tapes each with one song on it and the title. she let me borrow one tape to transfer to computer, and here it is.

syd6crazayman.mp3 - 2.39MB

the quality is terrible, but she says there are 80 other syd barrett tapes that feature all the multitrack stuff, so im shopping this around to labels for remastering.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Unreleased Syd Barrett song from late 70's "Crazy Man"

Post by Keith Jordan »

I haven't downloaded the song because I dont want to install plugins on my computer from that site. But has anyone heard of this song before before now?
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

Listened to the song and I'm not quite convinced it's Syd. :?

Edit: I listened to it a second time and now I am 99.9% sure it's not Syd. It doesn't resemble anything he put out as a solo artist and bares no resemblance to the stuff he was doing the few days he went back into the studio in the mid 70's. By all accounts, all he had left at this time was an acoustic guitar, so that's what you'd expect if he really did lay down anything, not this overdubbed space-rock stuff! Sorry man, don't buy it! [-X
london1
Axe
Axe

Post by london1 »

Yeah, I am pretty sceptical too. From what I can remember from my history classes, Syd Barrett hung up his guitar around 1974 time for good! I have listened to the song via the link and admit it does sound quite like Syd, though the quality of recording is almost as bad as the song writing quality! However, I would bet that it is not Syd but simply a copycat "songwriter" or even a hoax!
Having said that, if you are certain that it is Syd Barrett and can prove it, then no matter how bad the songwriting/recording quality your girlfriend could be sitting on a small fortune. A simple recording of Syd going for a Number 2 would fetch into the thousands, now-a-days!
london1
Axe
Axe

Post by london1 »

Listened again - I don't think it is him. There is a bit when he sings, "people say he's generous, he's near...somthing...something". This bit sounds like an American accent!
Verdict - fake!
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

GhostStar wrote:the quality is terrible, but she says there are 80 other syd barrett tapes that feature all the multitrack stuff, so im shopping this around to labels for remastering.
There are guys on Yeeshkul who would do any work you needed for free if your stuff is the genuin deal. Don't be accused of being a hoarder now.
GhostStar
Embryo
Embryo

Post by GhostStar »

i just sold the archives for $10,000 to an interested independent collector of Barrett stuff. he authenticated it and plans to have it digitally remastered\restored and then release it. the work even had a title.
london1
Axe
Axe

Post by london1 »

Well, well done on that. And if it does prove to be Syd then this is ground breaking news. May I suggest that you contact Matt at Brain Damage and other PF websites. It would be the biggest thing since Opal.

Having said all that, I'm sorry, no offence to you, but I still don't think this is Syd Barrett!
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

GhostStar wrote:i just sold the archives for $10,000.
Wow. Highly ethical.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

If thats Syd then I'm Keith Richards.

Someone cunningly tried to hide someones voice who they think it sounds like Syd's behind modern day effects.
The tape seems pretty clean and clear for these days. And it sounds like rubbish.
Even for someone like Barrett, who in his dementia had moments of beauty and harmony.

I wonder who's that independent Barrett collector who paid loads of cash for something that should be distributed for free...
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Damn!t wrote:If thats Syd then I'm Keith Richards.
Maybe you are, Bran! :lol:

btw, you mean you are Keith THE pirate or? <.8.>

Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Any Keith you like, Ćiro lol.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Damn!t wrote:Any Keith you like, Ćiro lol.
Any Keith? Even Keith Jordan too? lol.

btw, I listened it now and it's NOT Syd!! 99,99999% I'm sure, it's not him! [-X
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Norbert Wilkins »

I'm keeping an open mind on this one. It is pretty psychotronic, whoever it is. It certainly could be Syd, but even if it isn't it sounds like the missing link between Alexander Spence and Jandek, and on that basis alone I would be keen to hear more. Hopefully something surfaces soon. I don't suppose you taped any more of them before letting them go?
mandy35353535353
Knife
Knife

Post by mandy35353535353 »

Hmm. I got curious and gave it a listen, and I would have to agree with everyone that, it definitely doesn't sound like something he would do. I wish it was though. ):