Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
telephonictravel
Blade
Blade

Stoner Metal bands

Post by telephonictravel »

Recommend Some Please?
Thanks For Your Help
(lol im assuming people are going to help how stupid is that? What if nobody posts anything? :lol: )
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Stoner Metal bands

Post by PublicImage »

Electric Wizard, Boris, Sleep, Om and Kyuss all seem essential to me. I'll wait for Idisaffect to come online and recommend more.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

PublicImage wrote:Electric Wizard, Boris, Sleep, Om and Kyuss all seem essential to me. I'll wait for Idisaffect to come online and recommend more.
Kyuss was excellent. Om is a bit too noisy.

Of Kyuss, get Blues For The Red Sun first, it's their best and most acclaimed. Or Welcome To The Sky Valley, at least for the sake of the brilliant cover picture :D

Also, Dead Meadow, of the younger bands, is great.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

OM are not too noisy at all. If you believe that, you mustn't have heard Conference of the Birds.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Conference of the Birds is an excellent album.

Monster Magnet really went the commercial way on their later albums (which are also their best known ones), but their early stuff is great. Spine of God is an absolute stoner metal classic. Tab (or 25....Tab) is also an awesome album. It's their most out there with long crazy tracks and some space rock influence.

Fu Manchu is also quite good. I tend to like their mid-period with albums like King of the Road and California Crossing. But I actually like a spinoff band from Fu Manchu even more. They're called Nebula, and they do tend to have more of a psychedelic influence (in fact, on of their most recent releases was simply titled Heavy Psych).

Another one of my favourites is the German band Colour Haze. The albums Colour Haze, Temple, Periscope, Los Sounds de Krauts and All are, IMO, some of the best stoner rock I've heard.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

PublicImage wrote:OM are not too noisy at all. If you believe that, you mustn't have heard Conference of the Birds.
Strange...
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

I have a loose definition of stoner metal.....but here's a few not yet mentioned.
Melvins
High on Fire
Karp
Acid King
The Obsessed
Goatsnake
Big Business
Fantomas
Black Flag (post 1981)
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

Idisaffect wrote:I have a loose definition of stoner metal.....but here's a few not yet mentioned.
Melvins
Black Flag (post 1981)
Wait a sec, I thought Melvins were more grungy, and BF was hardcore :? .
Last edited by moom on Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Idisaffect wrote:Fantomas
The Director's Cut is amazing. I hope they make another album soon.
CatherineMa14
Hammer
Hammer

Post by CatherineMa14 »

I like Sleep. I have the Jerusalem album for now, but may get more :).
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

CatherineMa14 wrote:I like Sleep. I have the Jerusalem album for now, but may get more :).
You should get Dopesmoker. Jerusalem was an edited version of this forced on the band by the record label. Dopesmoker is the definitive version. It's longer by 11-minutes, flows nicer and has a deeper, real stoner rock sound to it. The differences are subtle at first, but ultimately you realize how much better it is than Jerusalem.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Sleep's Holy Mountain is also a good album. I can recommend Fu Manchu as they are stoner/punk crossover (it works really well) especially the Daredevil album.

I can also recommend the band Acid King.

Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

moom wrote:I thought BF was hardcore :?

The use of the word Hardcore in music was probably first used to explain Black Flag. Music writers had to invent a new genre of music because of them. By that time BF was moving on to more complex and psychedelic musical pastures.

I'm pretty sure none of the bands I mentioned would ever call themselves Stoner Metal. I never refer to any bands as a Stoner Band. It's too limited. And I don't even know what metal is supposed to be at this point. Some people think Motley Crue is metal.

Anyway, Moom...check this clip of Black Flag from 1984 and tell me what kind of music it is..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjpt4VNRqRA
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

Idisaffect wrote:
moom wrote:I thought BF was hardcore :?

The use of the word Hardcore in music was probably first used to explain Black Flag. Music writers had to invent a new genre of music because of them. By that time BF was moving on to more complex and psychedelic musical pastures.

I'm pretty sure none of the bands I mentioned would ever call themselves Stoner Metal. I never refer to any bands as a Stoner Band. It's too limited. And I don't even know what metal is supposed to be at this point. Some people think Motley Crue is metal.

Anyway, Moom...check this clip of Black Flag from 1984 and tell me what kind of music it is..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjpt4VNRqRA
Tanks :) I have no sound today, but i'llhave tomorrow (Im' not home)
CatherineMa14
Hammer
Hammer

Post by CatherineMa14 »

Massed Gadgets wrote:
CatherineMa14 wrote:I like Sleep. I have the Jerusalem album for now, but may get more :).
You should get Dopesmoker. Jerusalem was an edited version of this forced on the band by the record label. Dopesmoker is the definitive version. It's longer by 11-minutes, flows nicer and has a deeper, real stoner rock sound to it. The differences are subtle at first, but ultimately you realize how much better it is than Jerusalem.
May have a look-see :). Argh another album goes on the wishlist :).