Interview with Syd's sister on Brain Damage

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Interview with Syd's sister on Brain Damage

Post by snifferdog »

There's an interesting interview with Syd's sister Rosemary on Brain Damage. It's well worth a read. The most poignant part of it, I thought, was the part where she spoke about the issue of Syd being lonely :(

Q. We've talked about long term, but in the short term what do you hope for?
A. My main motivation is, I'm very aware of how lonely Syd was because he was different, especially in the latter years in Cambridge after the Floyd. I would like to think that people can get companionship and accepted into society, even if it's only in a group of like-minded people. I think the loneliness he felt was just dreadful, and if we could stop that, or at least help some people from feeling that loneliness because they're different, then I would feel we've achieved something.

=>Linky Dink
mags
Blade
Blade

Re: Interview with Syd's sister on Brain Damage

Post by mags »

Interesting indeed.
I hope the Fund does some good-a nod to the Late Night Syd Barrett Forum also, I think many of the Syd fans here would enjoy it.
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Re: Interview with Syd's sister on Brain Damage

Post by oldperfume »

I don't get Mrs. Breen when she said Syd was so lonely. When you can only communicate with children & your local cigarette person, ya that's kind of a lonely life. But he had run into friends in Cambridge & Maybe London & he wanted no part of them. Rose admitted that she might have been a little over protective of him & understandably so. But isn't this what Syd wanted;i.e, disconnectecting his doorbell from "TMZ" - like journalism, ex girlfriends like Libby or Jenny would see him ...& nothing. His nephew Ian said he had difficulty with large crowds, but what about a neighbor or maybe someone who shared his interests in his later life!? The truth might just be that Syd had a hard time talking to ANYONE except children & any one else would have asked about his Floyd days & we all know what happens to Syd when this is brought up. Syd cut off the rest of the world basically & that will bring loneliness around, but I thought that's what he wanted. Maybe Rose should have loosened up the reins a bit but this is just my opinion. There's a difference from being "alone" & being "lonely". Been there, not fun. I think it was more of a trust issue that he had than anything... Opinions?!