Who used drugs in Pink Floyd?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Who used drugs in Pink Floyd?

Post by crofloyd »

I think that Rick Wright also consumed drugs and other supstances as well as Syd. Just look at Rick at TPATGOD album cover. He is high as a cow riding on Ferrari thru Sunset Blvd.
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

They've all dabbled at one time or another, although most talk seems to be about Syd's use of LSD in the late 60's. Roger has given interviews where he says that took acid twice, and never wanted to again. Rick apparently had a cocaine habit in the late 70's which partially led to his departure from the band during THE WALL sessions. If you listen to the song "Nobody Home", Waters makes mention of this in the lines "Got a silver spoon on a chain/Got a grand piano to prop up my mortal remians".
pinktim
Axe
Axe

Drugs, Be Very Careful

Post by pinktim »

The use of the word "apparently" regarding Rick Wright's drug habit is most appropriate. Only one person has ever insisted and told stories of Rick's supposed drug habit, Roger. Rick has never acknowledged or admitted to any such thing. He will talk about a lack of creativity, depression and so on. He will also admit to going into therapy after his departure from the band. But, he has not made any admission to any drug habit.

There are those who think that Roger's real puprose ihn getting rid of Rick was to dispose of most of the members of the band. Supposedly his next target on the hit list was Nick. Then it would be David. At that pooint Roger would have had control of the band and done with it as he pleased. Now if any of that is true is at best a guess. But, it is a rumor that has been floating around for years.

Pink Floyd developed the drug reputation mostly because of Syd, the music they played and the places they played it at. The best information I have ever seen on any drug usage says that each of the band members at some time did try a few drugs out. But, for the most part they liked to drink a little too much every once in awhile.

And, as for looking at the cover of Piper at the Gates of Dawn and guesssing who is high, I do not want to take that chance. If anyone on that cover is stoned it would have to be Syd and I can't tell anything from that picture. So, I would have to say that Rick does not look anymore stoned than anyone else on that cover.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Drugs, Be Very Careful

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

pinktim wrote: But, it is a rumor that has been floating around for years.
If Roger's plan was to have "Pink Floyd" all to himself, why the hell did he destroy his personal management deal with Steve O'Rourke in 1985? If Roger's plan was to have "Pink Floyd" all to himself, why did he ask EMI and CBS to release him from his contractual obligations as a member of "the group" "Pink Floyd" in 1985? If Roger's plan was to have "Pink Floyd" all to himself, why did Roger choose not to go back into the studio and try to create a "Pink Floyd" product in order to satisfy his contractual obligations instead of doing what he did? These are questions the folks who support the theory pinktim mentioned have to consider. Ultimately when one does consider the three key questions I have asked, they see that the aforementioned theory is clearly a pile of bull****. However, some of them will still reply something along the lines of "Roger did not have Nick on the last song on TFC!" So what? Nick performed more on TFC than he did on MLOR. Did those folks ever consider that fact? Maybe Nick missed the recording session for "Two Suns in the Sunset"? Maybe Nick just could not play the song the way Roger wanted it to be played? If that was the case, so what?

Anyway, DAVID, NICK, RICK AND ROGER have all stated Rick contributed nothing to "Pink Floyd" during the production of The Wall. If someone shows up at work and does nothing, they should expect to be "fired." If someone is not happy with his or her job, they should just quit, not hang around hoping to get paid for essentially nothing. RIGHT?

As for Rick's supposed drug addiction, I do not believe Roger Waters has EVER stated Rick was addicted to cocaine back in the late 70s. Pinktim, you stated, "Only one person has ever insisted and told stories of Rick's supposed drug habit, Roger." Would you like to provide me with an interview in which Roger states Rick was addicted to cocaine around the time of The Wall's production? What is your source?

Finally, I want to point out that, to the best of my knowledge, Roger Waters has never stated the lines "Got a silver spoon on a chain/Got a grand piano to prop up my mortal remains" were written with Rick and his supposed drug addiction in mind. We know Rick is certainly not the only pianist on the planet, and I'm sure there were many pianists in the music industry that had a drug habit in and prior to 1979.
Last edited by Real Pink in the Inside on Sun Oct 13, 2002 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Yeah, again i agree with you Real Inside Pink. And i can help you out here to, the reason Nick didn't drum in TSITD is cause Roger saw another drummer at a club who he wanted to drum on the album and NICK volunteered not to appear on the song.

Right, now ask yourself this people, if you were in a band with someone who did nothing, would you fire them? 'Course you would 'cause they get a lot of money for very little work.

As for trying to get rid of the others, well as far as i see it Roger quit the band because he had the sense to realise that no album they did after TFC would be as good for endcng their career. They all realeased solo albums right? And that meant they were all content. Now TFC ended the story, it ended on a nuclear holocaust right? So how could an album they didn't need to do possibally end the career like that. It was the perfect ending point.

Oh, and as for Dave wanting more control over the music he did, that's what solo careers are for, or did he just want money? Hmm. It seems to me that if you want a lot of creative control then a good solution would be to do a solo album rather than continuing with a band that's essentially over.

Dave just wanted money (count the merchandise that came out after Roger left) and sold out Roger's ethics (the wall was against stadium rock, so how come he did songs off it back in 1987 and 1994.)

As for the drug references, if they were about Rick then why didn't Rick realise this and stop them going on the album?

Nick's also a bit of a money grabbing swine, look at his album Fictisious sports, he doesn't write the songs for it or sing on it. My god, he worked hard.

Post by Guest »

A QUICK VIEWING OF THE POMPEI FOOTAGE SHOWS THEM ALL AS HIGH AS KITES, DAVE'S EYES AND THE STONER MONOLGUES ARE A BIT OF A CLUE.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Read a saucefull of secrets. It explain a little about the depature of Wright. I think Wright is the most gentle of the group. He had ideas but roger reject evrything. And if you are a bit shy like wright, a certain point you break and don't care about your work. Never forget that some of the best floyd songs like the great gig in the sky are based on the musical idea from Wright. As for the money grabbing from Gilmour; Those were the day's! the 80 were the yuppie decade, the more money you make the better. Some actions must be reflected in the time they toke place.

greetings; peter
mostHigh
Axe
Axe

Post by mostHigh »

rick wright did the most drugs

they all messed around with drugs

JAMES GUTHRIE JUST MARRIED A RUSSIAN GIRL IN HAWAII
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Drugs, Be Very Careful

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:Pinktim, you stated, "Only one person has ever insisted and told stories of Rick's supposed drug habit, Roger." Would you like to provide me with an interview in which Roger states Rick was addicted to cocaine around the time of The Wall's production? What is your source?
I'm still waiting, Timmy...
mostHigh
Axe
Axe

Post by mostHigh »

rick is the biggest drug user in history of music
rumsticks

Post by rumsticks »

hi am new to the forum....anyway.....

i have two things to say....
which is the TPATGOD album??really , it have got´n me extressed like for a week...which is it..??its it a roios..?

also....i believe that the original forum question ..pinkfloyd ...drugs...
is really ovious... as someone already said.. look at the pompei video....
nick´s eyes... are on his butt... also in the abbey road part...they all got that smily face you get.... :) :( :) :D
but what the hell they made great music...which by the ways is great trippi music....
i just disagree with one thing... nick is worse than rick... maybe in the latter days yes rick got into sailin´ and drug..downers and stuff....but in the good days right before the wall...for sure it was nick...look at the meddle middle page (on the booklet) and any other pic...
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

The PATGOD - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (Their first album).
rumstick
Embryo
Embryo

Post by rumstick »

shhh... :oops:
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

What does it matter who used drugs, can anyone here name a GOOD musician that doesn't use drugs. I'm sorry, but rock against drugs is crap. Government approved rock and roll certainly don't rock. Bands that speak out against drugs are all Satn's little helpers all taking their turns to suck Satan's cock. They get that big scaly pecker down their throat and for that they get their fame and fortune. Before you get on at me for cursing, check the evidance.

Exhibit 1: MC Hammer- This guy couldn't dance, he moved like he had a sandcran up in his boxers. He had no talnet and rightfull should have no charisma. He had to be doing Satan favours to get where he did.

Exhibit 2: Madonna- Let me get this straught, all women like her cause she doesn;t exploit herself and all the men like her because they have no chance of ever meeting her yet think they could bed her, why does this not make sense? I'll tell you why, because Satan has had his way and we all watch her videos e.t.c in hope that she may want us for the night, and women like a scantly clad female who sings about sex and claims to not exploit her body. My finger is so not on the pulse of Britain if this is true.

Exhbit 3: Eric Clapton- In one of the finest 60's bands, and now what does he do? He's not done a single good song apart from tears in heaven after leaving Cream (ok, layla aswell) and he also doesn't write his own songs. Over rated on the guitar and has a bad voice, yup, he truley is in to Satan (or more Satan's in to him.)

Finall, exhibit 4: John Bonjovi- God does this guy suck. He sucks so hard Satan sometimes stops half way through to apply soothing cream. Nothing about George is good yet he's so bloody famous and popular. He finally rebelled with the song Hey God, but by that point he'd blown it in more ways than one. A dire, dire performer.

So there, drugs are the sort of things good rock stars use, they sing from the heart unlike rock against drugs. They sing from the heart. I want my rock stars dead through chocking on their own vomit if they have to, as long as they're not government approved rock and roll. I want my rock stars holdng a gun with one hand and their s***** (i hate that word, and if you can't guess what it is then you shall never know, it sounds like such a brutal word) in the other if they have to, asong as they sing about things they beleive in rather than speak against drugs!!! And if they do hate drugs then don't say it cause that's entering the government mold, Ronald Reign would have a wet dream over our current state of music.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Ok, even if that offended people in any way i would atleast hope you enjoyed reading that last post and thought about the main morals. Afterall, it's important to be emotionally involved in everything you do, like read my post, that is even if the emotion expressed is anger.