I Know Where Syd Barrett Lives - Television Personalites

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

I Know Where Syd Barrett Lives - Television Personalites

Post by jtull »

Just discovered this nice little tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6zf7P8eTRI

There's a little man in a little house ... h shut up!
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I Know Where Syd Barrett Lives - Television Personalites

Post by snifferdog »

They supported David Gilmour in the early stages of his About Face tour but he deleted them when the lead singer actually did read out Syd's address to the audience one night.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

It sounds like they were trying to mimic the "Grantchester Meadows/Several Species" production.

Awful song.
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Post by oldperfume »

I agree w/Daniel on this one. I'd never heard it til a friend of mine played it @ his bar b4 my group went on.
One word: DEPLORABLE!!!!!!!! The vocalist sucks, it's more off-kilter than "Apples & Oranges". They get to open up for Gilmour's '84 tour & The idiot vocalist (Dan Treacy!?) yells out Syd's address....Classy!!
THIS SONG BLOWS!!
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Didn't enjoy that tune so much.

To me this is why Syd is over-rated. He spawned a generation of idiots who thought singing earnest lyrics in earnest english accents would give them the 'Syd factor'. Graham Coxon sitting in his back garden wearing NHS glasses, Robyn Hitchcock murdering Dominoes... you name it, people have misread it as being a Syd thing and then ripped it off. Its even worse when the Austin Powers level of 1960s Carnaby Street schtick gets measured in as well.
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Post by oldperfume »

I agree, although Hitchcock's version wasn't to bad!! People tend to romanticize Syd & I've been guilty too.There are some groups who claim Syd as an influence on their music; I do. But I could never reach the heights of what he did & alot of these people are posers. The 60's is a parody sometimes , just like the 80's. Syd was different, all the way around & not on some "Cosmic " level either. People are gonna romanticize because Syd left too early, the doomed poet & he didn't die young like others. Everything about his music I love but his personal life is something that's interesting & People want to know more. You have urban legend B.S. stories & not much else. Stay CLASSY, My Breakfast....
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

oldperfume wrote: The 60's is a parody sometimes , just like the 80's.
Just like the 70's, 90's and 00's. And the next decade is going to be the biggest parody of a decade ever. Every movie will be a remake. Roger Waters will remake The Wall, Oliver Stone will remake Fitzcarraldo, The Dark Star Orchestra will remake an entire Grateful Dead show from 1973, Michael Jackson will remake Thriller (from the grave) and Pete Townsend will write the novel of the play of the screenplay of the movie of the album Tommy. We're gonna have real life parodies of war. Parodies of parodies. And Syd will still sound original with the power of his vocal melodies. When everything else sounded like it was falling apart, Syd always had strong vocal melodies. It doesn't bother me in the least if people think he sucks. I would even be polite enough to refrain from playing his music when people who dislike him drop by. Well........ I wouldn't play it very loud.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Idisaffect wrote:We're gonna have real life parodies of war.
Maybe we allready do. The war in Afganistan reminds me a lot of the war out of Orwell's 1984, an almost meaningless set of statistics reported over the radio every day regarding a conflict with an invisible enemy. They are getting more helicopters? The highest number of troops were killed this week since the 3rd week of February 2008? When can I get my shoes off and throw them at pictures of Goldstein allready? Frank Zappa had a point when he put War Makes Work for Everyone on the back of the 2nd Mothers album. Just a constant background churning of a war being fought against a semi-fictional enemy and the constant lining of a few lucky people's pockets. It makes sense to get into wars you cannot winif it means your shares in ammunition companies retain their value? A parody of war indeed.
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

Indeed.

I should have written, "in the next decade we will continue to have parodies of war". Tragically, the deaths are very real.