The Committee Soundtrack

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
espio13
Embryo
Embryo

The Committee Soundtrack

Post by espio13 »

So i was reading around online and i know that the committee soundtrack is written by syd but what i dont know is was it recorded as a 5 piece? the sessions for this was rite after syds last gig with the floyd yet abbey road studios claims that syd took over the session. Does anyone know which band members are involved in these recordings?
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Re: The Committee Soundtrack

Post by Duckboy »

Im pretty suret was 4 man floyd.... and i think in the interviews on the dvd it said most of the sessions were improvised.
espio13
Embryo
Embryo

Post by espio13 »

it may have been 4 man floyd but i know that syd wrote it. Finding some solid info on it is really hard though so if anyone has any, please post :)
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Pink Floyd recorded(improvised) music for the Committee film in one morning(!) actually.

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/dvds-vide ... track.html

All of Pink Floyd music for soundtrack Committee remains uncredited.

"The Committee"

4 - The Committee Pt.1 (uncredited) - backwards version 00:35
5 - The Committee Pt.1 (uncredited) 00:35
6 - The Committee Pt.2 (uncredited) 01:09
7 - The Committee Pt.3 (uncredited) 02:55
8 - The Committee Pt.4 (uncredited) 01:24
9 - The Committee Pt.5 (uncredited) 02:06
10 - The Committee Pt.6 (uncredited) 00:49
11 - The Committee Pt.7 (uncredited) 02:38
12 - The Committee Pt.8 (uncredited) 03:30
Recorded : London, Sound Techniques Studios, April 1968
Primary source : "The Committee" film, released 1968
Source for the tree : 1st gen copy from the film
The first track of the film was in fact recorded backwards. We inverted this track, so that
you can hear the song as it was recorded (track 4). Track 5 is the track as it appears in
the film.
Note that part 7 is an early version of "Careful With That Axe, Eugene".

...and this pic indicate who was involved:David, Roger, Rick and Nick

karmania
Axe
Axe

Post by karmania »

Frommemory the film makers wanted Syd to do it and he was approached but either declined or was unable i'm unsure...

Pink Floyd then later stepped in to do the Soundtrack May 68 I think I'm fuzzy on these dates these days.

It is believed that the intro music that is backwards is possibly Syd, read that somewhere but never compared to make sure.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

1/30/68 Syd's attempt at the Committee soundtrack. Parker discovered the paperwork for the 1/30/68 session but the tapes aren't at Abbey Road.
What is interesting is the session was originally booked as a Pink Floyd session but the paperwork says something like "Syd Barrett took the session".
1/26 was the gig where Syd wasn't picked up so this is only a few days after that...

http://www.thecommitteethemovie.com/links.htm
MS (Max Steuer): We started by working with Syd Barrett. Alas, this was not a viable option. Roger Waters heard about these efforts, and suggested the Floyd could do the job. I am so glad he did. It was absolutely wonderful working with them, and the outcome could not be better.

SB Spare bricks): According to some researchers, the initial meeting to involve Pink Floyd was a lunch in 1968 with yourself, someone else involved in the film, Roger Waters and Syd Barrett. Is there any truth to this?

MS: I do not think so. As you may know, Pink Floyd was managed for a time by Peter Jenner, who was a lecturer for a time at the London School of Economics, where I work, and worked at the time. So there is a sort of natural connection there. Apart from that, I was an enormous Floyd fan right from the beginning.

SB: The story I've heard is that you initially wanted Syd Barrett to do the music for the film. Apparently Roger Waters and Syd Barrett went into a studio that day and recorded a lot of strange music. When Peter Jenner heard about these sessions he took the tapes. The soundtrack then came from a second session with Pink Floyd. Is there any truth in this?

MS: Roger was not involved at all in that first try with Syd. Syd read the story and said he would do the film. This seemed fine by me. He asked us to book a very expensive studio, and showed up an hour and a half late, and without a guitar. He asked Peter Sykes and me to get lost, which we did. We came back a few hours later to find a trio--drums, bass, and guitar. They finished a bit and lased it up backwards. Syd thought it was a good start. It cost too much money, and would have sunk the film. Somehow, Peter Jenner got that tape. Peter, give me back my tape!

SB: In the documentary you explain that the Pink Floyd recording session for the film took place in 1968 in your basement, over a period of four days. What do you recall about this session?

MS: The address was 3, Belsize Square, London NW3, the basement flat of the painter Michael Kidner and his wife Marion. (Both have small parts in the movie). There was no furniture in the living room, which was large. We started at nine each morning and did twelve hours or so. Roger was always there at 8:30, David Gilmour shortly after, then Nick Mason, and Rick Wright just before nine. It was amazingly professional. The road crew set up the first day by 8 o'clock or so. The van you see on the Ummagumma album was parked outside.

Much of the time was devoted to working with the soundtrack, no pictures. When the music was recorded they had both the dialogue in their cans and the film on the screen. There was a lot of discussion. My input was minimal, other than to say 'OK' when it seemed to me to be OK. Just at the end, when the mixing was going on, Roger asked me which of two alternatives I favoured. I said, 'What do you think?' He said, 'You are the governor.' I never forgot that. It was great knowing these musicians for a time.
espio13
Embryo
Embryo

Post by espio13 »

wow awsome stuff here. well i guess that answers my question :D thank you very much
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Thanks Saku for the info. :D