New book on Syd

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

New book on Syd

Post by oldperfume »

Could someone please tell me a little bit more about this new Syd Barrett: Legend book written by someone named Bob Cairns (I think!). I'll play guinea pig & buy & read it & let you all know what I think of it. I heard it was pretty bad but....if it's about Syd how bad could it be!? I live in the US (Chicago) & was at a Borders Book store & they never heard of it. Mr. Jordan, your expertise would be greatly appreciated!
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Re: New book on Syd

Post by zag »

Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

The book is poor and utter shit. You would be wise to avoid it. <.8.> :D
Raglani
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Raglani »

By the way according to Amazon. "Lost In the Woods" will be available again in the middle of December. Wondering if it will be "updated".
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Keith Jordan wrote:The book is poor and utter shit. You would be wise to avoid it. <.8.> :D
Where can I get a copy??????
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Post by oldperfume »

Keith,
When you say "pure & utter shit", how could a book about Syd be this bad? I remember someone said it was full of dates of Floyd gigs & that IS crap. But what about the rest of it; Is it REALLY that Bad!?!?!>?!
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Old Perfume, are you Bob Cairns? :lol:

From the review that was posted in a different thread it seems the book had bad quality pictures, historical inaccuracies and spent too long printing out song lyrics. http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/books/syd ... airns.html has a comprehensive review
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Post by oldperfume »

David, I am NOT Bob Cairns....LOL!!! I'm Greg Scott from Chicago & believe that Syd Barrett is my lord god & savior!!
I want EVERYTHING Syd & was wondering why the book was trashed & yet no one really knew about it, that's all!!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

The physical production of the book, along with its "content", is shocking beyond belief.

The photos are pixilated as they have been copied off the internet from low resolution sources and look exceptionally unprofessional. The printer looks like it ran out of ink on some and other photos, such as one of Syd Guitar in the HArd Rock Cafe, look like it was taken on a early 1990s phone camera. VGA.

The "book" is pretty much the scrap book of a foolish child. Said child has copied and pasted lyrics from the songs and pasted them haphazidly into MS Word offering foolish interpretations and commentary.

From page 35....
"Bike" - This is one of the great Barrett songs. It is unparalleled in the choice of words surrounding an inanimate object that we all loved as children. It's very tempting to wax lyrical about the bike stories we all have in our memories but Syd did just that. 'It's got a basket, a bell that rings and things to make it look good.' The twist comes next line with 'I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.' One can imagine a young kid borrowing a friend's bike to impress the young girls. Terrific stuff. The bike being the starting point, the song then goes on to describe his cloak, a mouse called Gerald, gingerbread men and finally a room of musical tunes.
Stupidly one dimensional and descriptive, not adding one intelligent insight, thought, feeling or anyting noteworthy. Very Key Stage Two English.

He has then copied some scans of photos from the internet and pasted them into MS Word too without tidying them up or getting proper scans of original photos or photos from a higher quality secondary source. They all pretty much look shite!

He has then typed some of the most stipidest sentences I have ever seen which, I imagine, he interpreted from some other half-baked book.

A one sentence review: "This book is a poorly manufactured, poorly written and poorly presented piece of shit that ought to be avoided at all cost."

I would rather read - and follow through with - the instructions to the end of my life.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

oldperfume wrote:I believe that Syd Barrett is my lord god & savior!
You need help. :D
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Post by oldperfume »

Hudini,
It's a joke & I think you disappeared once too many times. It was a JOKE.....OK!?!
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

That's why I'm smiling. :D
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Post by oldperfume »

Glad to hear it!!
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

I like it when Keith gets passionate about the pink floyd. I have no doubt that the book is a piece of shit.
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Post by oldperfume »

So do I!!! Keith is passionate & I trust his judgement, so I'll take a pass on the book. If I see it at my local book store, I'll peruse it, but that's it...