Ok this is embarrassing....

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Ok this is embarrassing....

Post by my breakfast. »

I have been putting a lot of conviction into my anti-Syd sentiments as of late. For this I firstly apologise. Its no different from criticising Roger's or David's solo output, and I guess it has to be accepted for what it is. Perhaps after one too many listens to Piper I expected Syd's solo albums to be similar.

Having recently re-listened to the Syd stuff on youtube I admit I have been wrong. The music itself is inoffensive, and actually I have no reason to be angered by it. It isn't critical music and it isn't as hard to listen to as I first remember it being.

I guess it must have been a good 5 years since I last properly listened to Madcap Laughs, and at the moment I don't actually own a copy. I can say happily that my musical tastes are now broad enough for me to actually like the Syd stuff. Afterall I could go to any coffee shop or small club on a Friday night and hear a lot of tuneless 3rd rare Damien Rice wannabe 'singer songwriter' types whose music has absolutely no charm. Regardless of Syd's lyrical themes or actual musical changes his music is quirky and memorable, and is actually uplifting. Golden Hair has the same sort of haunting quality that the old Robert Johnson recordings have, and other songs seem to have distinct personalities.

Therefore I apologise wholeheartedly to the many Syd fans I have offended with my constant slaggings in the past.

Thanks
Alan. :D
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Ok this is embarrassing....

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

My estimation of you has just risen a notch or two.

my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Don't worry I will soon fix that. :twisted: 8)
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

I'll consider your old slot as being held in reserve.

mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I wish that we were still doing the covers project here at NPF, so that I could submit a cover of Gigolo Aunt. *shrug*
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

Good on you, Alan!

Is there any way, you think, to persuade PF management that letting this forum do covers is a good thing? I mean, you can go to any Myspace site, Youtube, Rhapsody, etc. etc. and download /rip the audio from ANY song of theirs! People are going to find a way to get free music and that's just the way it is! Persuading the management of PF that letting a devoted following of PF, a group who have obsessively legally purchased all things PF and will continue to legally purchase all things PF, cover the groups' songs may be in their best interest.

I missed out on that whole period and am deeply saddened by it. :( Please Keith, there's got to be a way!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

If I were to ask "permission" then they would probably want us to pay a licence!

More modern and "coherent" interpretations of Syd Barrett's recordings are a good thing. The modern covers I have heard are a treat.

I am glad you have seen the error of your ways Alan and finally accepted that Syd WAS Pink Floyd, was one of the greatest and most innovative songwriters in the world and is the best member of Pink Floyd (even though only 8% of NPF visitors think so).
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Would it be worth asking permission so that you can get a definitive answer? If they say yes, just carry on as usual. If they say no, then happy days <ii>
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

Keith,

Sorry to bring this thread off topic, I'll bring it around full circle in the end! :) You're an accountant, right, somebody who analyzes investments and such? Perhaps you could persuade PF management to open an online store here where they offer legal downloads of things. If people hear a cover of a PF tune and find they like it, they may seek out the real thing (perhaps Sean's cover of Gigalo Aunt would lead people like Alan to go buy themselves a copy of Madcap Laughs***see, I eventually came back to the topic***). Ask them to give it a try. Like Snifferdog says, the worst they could say is "no".
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

my breakfast. wrote:Don't worry I will soon fix that. :twisted: 8)

Hmm, is there a need for a longish, audible inhalation ? :lol:

btw, good for you that you gave another chance to the great but odd enough artist´s solo stuff.
Alan, check http://forum.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/vie ... 24&t=18795
1drunk

Post by 1drunk »

cwta eugene wrote:Good on you, Alan!

Is there any way, you think, to persuade PF management that letting this forum do covers is a good thing? I mean, you can go to any Myspace site, Youtube, Rhapsody, etc. etc. and download /rip the audio from ANY song of theirs! People are going to find a way to get free music and that's just the way it is! Persuading the management of PF that letting a devoted following of PF, a group who have obsessively legally purchased all things PF and will continue to legally purchase all things PF, cover the groups' songs may be in their best interest.

I missed out on that whole period and am deeply saddened by it. :( Please Keith, there's got to be a way!
<.8.> Okay, i'm way confused on your post. No crap, no! No Pink Floyd covers - Not to be rude or anything but please 'get your own best interest' some other way. I can't see how kids think rips and blurbs over an artists recorded music is better for them - it's certainly not better for me, i'm pretty old and lil' burnt on Pink Floyd at times - you know, I definitely don't want to hear another 'artists' form of distruction to it - it's ruining the beautiful flow - and you know 'certain artists' sometime are very attached to their creation and it's vibrational flow that it has for the Universe; so I would have to say no, it's offensive even to me and i'm not them, so no, no, don't do it - evil, evil karma will come to you in your sleep and you'll have not so nice dreams you know - don't do it in your waking momements - avoid the temptation - the government is evil and they will get you - they will imprison and fine you and your parents and your life will be ruined, ruined and you will desecrate the thing.
What the hell is wrong with wrap mix, I don't like it. :-;
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

Syd is iconic. I can't remember how many times I've heard people saying, "that band is doing a 'Syd Barrett' there". I don't remember people saying that about the other Pink Floyd members. Oh...listen to Oar by Skip Spence people. He was doing a "Syd" before Syd recorded "Madcap". That is, if you enjoy that sort of thing.