So, What Did Syd Think???

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
1drunk

So, What Did Syd Think???

Post by 1drunk »

[-o< Hi! I was just wondering what 'Pink Floyd' songs that Syd might have liked from 'Pink Floyd,' the band mates he left; ones that he wasn't in if any on some regular basis, a little bit, don't know, or no - answer please. And how aware was he of you all's career n what did he think about all of that if you told him or asked him or showed any interest at all in new items.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Re: So, What Did Syd Think???

Post by zag »

with blank stare.

seriously(?), I think Roger didn´t give a damn. The last heard sentence to Pink Floyd´s music was "sounds a bit old".
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Syd might have like San Tropez in my mind for some reason...I dunno...
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Why would he like anything they wrote - when they parted both were going in different directions musically
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

"Did I turn the oven off?"
1drunk

Post by 1drunk »

I don't know, I would think he might be a little interested in what they were doing since they worked and grew from that, and also just to make conversation, I suppose if Mr. Gilmour really came over, one might think he would like to talk about his musical developments with Syd. I mean don't other muscians appreciate what their close friends are doing? <ii>
Although, for some reason I can see him critizing the 'new' Pink Floyd if he knew anything about that, and is something if so I like to hear!
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Post by oldperfume »

Syd probably thought that the 73-79 Floyd was way too commercial. It's just an opinion but I have a feeling he would have been more into things like "MORE","OBSCURED BY CLOUDS", the studio stuff on "UMMAGUMMA" which was a bit exploratory & maybe some of the instrumentalson things like "ECHOES", "CIRRUS MINOR",etc. Then again, maybe he thought it all sucked & they were assholes from kicking him out of his own band.It's all speculative at best which makes foorums like this exciting.
1drunk

Post by 1drunk »

Who would kick nice little old sweet Syd out of his own band? Was it some uniform decision or did he just leave kind of on his own?
GilmourGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by GilmourGirl »

Word is the guys didn't pick Barrett up for a gig; my guess is he probably wasn't there waitin anyways. Poor Syd was tired and stressed and trippin his ass off. :(
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

1drunk wrote:Who would kick nice little old sweet Syd out of his own band? Was it some uniform decision or did he just leave kind of on his own?
He was fucking mad.
He couldnt function in a normal everyday life, yet alone in a pop band. Of course they "kicked" him out.
IMO, they were very reasonable and gentle to him and tried to help.
GilmourGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by GilmourGirl »

Oh you know The Gilmour was a great friend to Barrett. A very loyal friend to the end. The Gilmour may be a practicing Atheist but whether he likes it or not he has been eternally blessed for the way he looked out for Barrett. What a man.
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

[
GilmourGirl wrote:Word is the guys didn't pick Barrett up for a gig; my guess is he probably wasn't there waitin anyways. Poor Syd was tired and stressed and trippin his ass off. :(
I think you (along with danielcaux) make the best posts on the Syd threads.
GilmourGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by GilmourGirl »

Thank you. I hate it when people try and dissect the mans mind. Barrett was waaaay ahead of his time. Too fucking cool for his own good but also human like the rest of us. ;)
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

drafsack wrote:Why would he like anything they wrote - when they parted both were going in different directions musically
He doesn't have to dislike them to do a different kind of music. Didn't, that is.
Dominoes sounds quite Floyd, pre-Dark Side and Wright'ish, so therefore he might have loved Rick's early stuff.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Syd recorded two solo albums and then disappeared entirely from the music industry.

A few years later, he showed up (fattened and with shaved head) to a mixing session for WYWH. Reportedly, he listened to SOYCD, was asked what he thought and responded "it sounds old."

When another playback was called for, Syd reportedly responded "why bother? You've already heard it once."

I think it's safe to say that for whatever reasons anyone cares to imagine, Roger "Syd" Barrett didn't give a rip about anything Pink Floyd had done.

It was all a non-event to him, it seems.

His sister said that talking about his past involvement with the band only depressed him for days on end. Which is why Gilmour and the rest never bothered to drop in on him...it wouldn't have been a pleasant reminisce, only a painful reminder of a time he'd rather have forgotten.

There's no "romantic" angle to Barrett. He was a very talented young man who lost his shit entirely.

End of story, really.