1983 - quotes related to the final cut album...

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

1983 - quotes related to the final cut album...

Post by Keith Jordan »

Quotes

"It's very very good, but it's not personally how I would see a Pink Floyd record going. The sound quality is very good, it's very very well recorded, and the string arrangements and orchestral stuff are very well done, but it's not me. Consequently, I was arguing about how to make the record, at the beginning and it was being counterproductive." - David Gilmour, in a May 1983 interview

"The Final Cut was absolutely misery to make, although I listened to it of late and I rather like a lot of it. But I don't like my singing on it. You can hear the mad tension running through it all. If you're trying to express something and being prevented from doing it because you're so uptight...It was a horrible time. We were all fighting like cats and dogs. We were finally realising—or accepting, if you like—that there was no band. It was really being thrust upon us that we were not a band and had not been in accord for a long time. Not since 1975, when we made "Wish You Were Here". Even then there were big disagreements about content and how to put the record together [...] It sold three million copies, which wasn't a lot for the Pink Floyd. And as a consequence, Dave Gilmour went on record as saying, "There you go: I knew he was doing it wrong all along." But it's absolutely ridiculous to judge a record solely on sales. If you're going to use sales as the sole criterion, it makes Grease a better record than Graceland." - Roger Waters, June 1987, to Chris Salewicz"

Well, this has been my beef for years, I mean always has been one of my beefs about what we do is that the balance has to be maintained. I've said it hundreds of times, ad nauseam I've said it—it's the balance between the words and the music I think is a very important thing and that's what I think we lost very much on The Final Cut." - David Gilmour, Australian Radio, February 1988

"The Final Cut was the low point in our Pink Floyd career for me, personally. I started off trying to do my best on that record... I had tried to point out to Roger that some of the tracks he wanted to put on it were tracks we had rejected off The Wall album because we didn't like them, you know. Roger just thought I was interfering... he'd got to a sort of megalomaniac stage where he could not tolerate anyone else having any real say in what was going on. We did fight horribly throughout that whole period." - David Gilmour, Pink Floyd 25th Anniversary Special, May 1992 (aired by Westwood One Radio Network)

"I don't think the results are an awful lot I mean (there are) a couple of reasonable tracks, at best. I did vote for The Fletcher Memorial Home to be on Echoes. I like that. Fletcher, The Gunner Dream and the title track are the three reasonable tracks on that. The rest of The Final Cut is dross." - David Gilmour, Record Collector, May 2003
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Re: 1983 - quotes related to the final cut album...

Post by J Ed »

Keith Jordan wrote:"I don't think the results are an awful lot I mean (there are) a couple of reasonable tracks, at best. I did vote for The Fletcher Memorial Home to be on Echoes. I like that. Fletcher, The Gunner Dream and the title track are the three reasonable tracks on that. The rest of The Final Cut is dross." - David Gilmour, Record Collector, May 2003
another thread wrote:In addition Gilmour also argued that Waters' lyrics had become too "specific" as opposed to his earlier, more "nebulous" lyrics that were open to multiple interpretations - he particularly objected to Waters' direct references to Thatcher and other world leaders, which he felt was an unsuitable form of lyric writing for a Pink Floyd album.
since Fletcher Memorial Home is the one song that is a long list of world leaders being made to look bad, I conclude Gilmour doesnt actually know what it is he doesnt like about this album

"ladies and gentlemen, please welcome reagan and haig
mr. begin and friend mrs. thatcher and paisley
mr. brezhnev and party
the ghost of mccarthy
the memories of nixon
and now adding colour a group of anonymous latin
american meat packing glitterati"
JackRegan
Knife
Knife

Post by JackRegan »

J Ed wrote:since Fletcher Memorial Home is the one song that is a long list of world leaders being made to look bad, I conclude Gilmour doesnt actually know what it is he doesnt like about this album
mmmmm.....i think that Gilmour is talking about music, not about lyrics. He never did say anything bad about Waters texts.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Keith Jordan wrote:Quotes

"The Final Cut was absolutely misery to make, although I listened to it of late and I rather like a lot of it. But I don't like my singing on it. You can hear the mad tension running through it all. If you're trying to express something and being prevented from doing it because you're so uptight..." - Roger
Dear Roger, your singing skills could never mention anything operatic, but hey, you always do good on your PF songs (except when you're doing them live, ain't that a good reason to stop touring for a while and actually do some recording ::D ?). You do good partially because you give them the right attitude. Take The Final Cut - take away the tension and sing softly, what will be? JUST whine.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

JackRegan wrote:
J Ed wrote:since Fletcher Memorial Home is the one song that is a long list of world leaders being made to look bad, I conclude Gilmour doesnt actually know what it is he doesnt like about this album
mmmmm.....i think that Gilmour is talking about music, not about lyrics. He never did say anything bad about Waters texts.
In addition Gilmour also argued that Waters' lyrics had become too "specific" as opposed to his earlier, more "nebulous" lyrics that were open to multiple interpretations - he particularly objected to Waters' direct references to Thatcher and other world leaders, which he felt was an unsuitable form of lyric writing for a Pink Floyd album.
Actually, he did.
JackRegan
Knife
Knife

Post by JackRegan »

mosespa wrote:
Actually, he did.
No matter then. I ain't no terrorist loving leftie anyway.