Syds last floyd performance

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
gilmoursblackstrat
Embryo
Embryo

Syds last floyd performance

Post by gilmoursblackstrat »

Hi guys, My first post so heres a big hello to you all.

Ok, i wonder if any of you can help me on this one. My memory aint to good :lol: I would like it clarifying if syd played with floyd the first time i saw them. I am not sure of the date coz its such a long time ago. Maybe someone on here attended the same gig. This is all the imformation i can give you. I think it was about 1966/ 1968. The venue was imperial ballroom nelson england. The support band was a name something like blonde on blonde or amasing blonde. Strangley enough i remember the ticket price 15 shillings, that would be about 75p. :lol: The only reconisable numbers i remember was emily play and arnold lane. Most of the other was instrumental. I cant rember the name of the tour. Would syd have performed that night?

john
pinksmile
Axe
Axe

Re: Syds last floyd performance

Post by pinksmile »

The show you are refering to was on September 30 1967 (as far as i can gather). Yes, Syd would have performed that night (in some kind of state). The reason i say that is the Floyd undertook their first American tour 4 weeks later, and Syd's mental cracks were starting to show. As for the support act on the show you attended that night, i don't know. Sorry John.
pinksmile
Axe
Axe

Post by pinksmile »

Update !! John, further research has revealed that Pink Floyd also performed at the Imperial Ballroom, Nelson, England on February 10 1968. If you attended this show then Syd Barrett did not perform as David Gilmour had taken over from him 3 weeks before. Could the support band that you recall seeing at the show you attended have been named The Beatovens ?
gilmoursblackstrat
Embryo
Embryo

Post by gilmoursblackstrat »

Have also been doing more research. I am pretty sure now the support band were called the amazing blondel. I found they have a website and still tour a bit. The description on there site matches exactly how i remember there music, a kind of prog rock folk group. Fingers crossed they will reply and confirm. I really am hoping syd performed that nite, so i can at least say i was there. Thanks for doing some research for me. I will keep you updated if i get a reply.