Best Book on King Syd

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Best Book on King Syd

Post by oldperfume »

I recently finished the Rob Chapman book "A very Irregular Head"..in 2 days!! THAT'S how good this book is. Finally, a guy actually did his homework on Syd instead of going thru old articles & stories past down thru several different people. 4 years in the making & with help from Syd's family, this book puts ALL OTHER SYD BOOKS to shame! I will not spoil it for those who haven't read it yet ( I ordered mine from the wonderful UK & got it in 5 days since supposedly it isn't coming out till October in the US. Why is that?) Anyway, his story as we all know starts out with such great promise but eventually ends up sad, in my opinion. Syd wasn't just alone, he was a very lonely man who hid from the world & really did have a hard time communicating with any one, save sister Rose & children from the neighborhood. ALOT of the stuff the other Floyds mentioned about him are basically bullshit & Rob even admits that he himself started a couple of rumors accidentally about Syd which he clarifies in his book. To me this man was the ultimate genius & everything I wanted to be as a musician but I never even got close. It's also sad because he truly never did realize how many he inspired. Mojo & Uncut STILL put him on their covers; this from a man dead for 4 years & out of the business for 40. Read this book & you'll get 2 things out of it: 1) The other Floyd are really not very nice people & 2) alot of the "legends" are crap as well.So, so talented,almost too much!