Some kind of rock star...

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
brokentiny
Embryo
Embryo

Some kind of rock star...

Post by brokentiny »

Little girl 1: "Who lives there?"
Little girl 2: "That's Syd's house...he was some kind of rock star"

- two little girls riding bikes around St. Margaret's Square Cambridge. September 2006.

Been a member here for a while, but I think this is my first post.
Just looking at the extended discussion based on the article by Barrett's Cambridge neighbor and thought I'd share the above quote, perhaps to indicate that he was reasonably known and liked in the neighborhood.

I'm from Australia, but in 2006 my partner and I found ourselves in Europe working on an art project in the Czech Republic and on the way home we spent a couple of weeks in the UK. We did a day trip to Cambridge ostensibly for me to do a Barrett/early Floyd pilgrimage, at a respectful distance, checking out Barrett's old homes, certain venues and Floydian song landmarks, (The Cut and Grantchester Meadows (see below). The pilgrimage ended at Syd's final home in St Margaret's Square, a quiet, fairly pretty little cu de sac in suburban Cambridge. As we stood across the road with a feeling of loss (even though we didn't know the man) we heard the above exchange. It was very moving.

Me at The Cut

Picnic by the River Cam, Grantchester Meadows.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Re: Some kind of rock star...

Post by moom »

You look a lot like Joe Satriani without glasses on the pic below :D

Anyway, it's great a girl even heard about Syd, because he's not exactly mentioned as much as, say, The Stones. :D

And wish I were with you, never been to England and those places in particular, but always wished to.

Welcome 8)