Phone discussion thread

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Phone discussion thread

Post by Flying pig437 »

I've just treated myself to a new phone. It's my first smartphone a HTC Wildfire model A3333. Anyone got one or now aught about 'em?
pastchristmas
Blade
Blade

Re: Phone discussion thread

Post by pastchristmas »

I purchased my first smart phone (LG Optimus) a few months ago as a solution for my need to travel frequently yet manage my home business. Being able to check my email and Facebook page, as well as chat on Skype and do tons of other things on the road have definitely been great.

The only down side I can find is that the battery can really drain quickly if you don't mind what processes are running simultaneously. It is easy to leave an application running that can leave your phone dead within a few hours. Managed well and plugged in every night, this can be easily overcome.
oldhippy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by oldhippy »

I don't have a mobile phone. <ii> I have no need for one.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Do you use carrier pigeons? :lol:

I've got an Android smartphone as well and it's great. It is very useful to be able to check and read emails on the go, browse the internet etc. Some of the apps are great fun too. The only thing I don't like is sending texts. I used to be able to send texts on my previous phones without even looking at the buttons I was hitting. The battery life on smartphones is horrendous too but I'm sure that will improve over time.
pastchristmas
Blade
Blade

Post by pastchristmas »

snifferdog wrote:The only thing I don't like is sending texts. I used to be able to send texts on my previous phones without even looking at the buttons I was hitting.
Same here! Trying to text with that touch screen makes me feel like a monkey trying to make love to a football.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Now there's an image!!!

I love everything else about it. The way you can swipe across the screens, open apps etc. It probably doesn't help that I've got hands like shovels.
henno

Post by henno »

got a samsung galaxy S about a month ago.

I love it so far... very handy.

The best thing about it (the phone) so far is the 'swype' texting option... no more pushing stupid buttons!!! it makes writing any text so much easier and is very intelligent, includes place and peoples names as well as a large dictonary.

I had a sony erricson w995 symbian, which i found very good too.... great camera and a flash is extremely handy. But battery life was crap. the galaxy is a little better in battery life, getting about a full 1 1/2 days out of it.
of course, the whole app store thing is the best about it.... google maps comes in very handy for work.... i love the fact it also acts as a pdf reader, i can view and edit autocad dwg files, and the 'dropbox' cloud storage system is also gift!!
Stinibobs
Axe
Axe

Post by Stinibobs »

I have an iPhone 3GS, and love it.

If I didn't love all things Apple, I'd probably have a Samsung. Not sure if it would be the Galaxy S or the Ace, I quite like how Android works.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I love dropbox as well. It integrates wonderfully with my computer. It's so easy to get stuff on and off the phone 8) I'm intrigued by Henno's mention of Swype. As I said, I do miss my being able to text like a maniac without even looking at the buttons :D
henno

Post by henno »

check this out brenda

http://youtu.be/YICb8cwmS7A

hopefully the death of text abbreviations!!
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I work in a mobile phone shop and currently own an HTC Desire. While i know not everybody needs a smartphone, what pisses me off a bit is the attitude of 'i just want a phone to actually be a phone' etc from some people that look down upon smartphone owners. Smartphones are geared primarly around communication - what do social networking sites, emails on the move and messenger services do except for aid our communications. Through smartphones people are more in touch with each other than ever before.

As a heads up, for android users having issues with battery life i have 2 tips:

1) Download the advanced task manager app - like a pc desktop there is lots of crap going on at the same time on your mobile - this can kill these unwanted apps unless they are being directly used. Likewise, the juice defender is a useful app for prolonging battery life.

2) On Htc add 3G and wifi toggles on the homepage so you can turn them on and off any time you want. This means neither is on all the time, as since they are constantly activated be default then their ongoing hunt for a signal is a major cause of low battery. This can be done by holding down the screen - widgets - settings and then find the wifi and mobile network ones. Stick them on your homepage, and have them off at all times unless you particularly want to use the net. At there we go! Increased battery life. Samsungs don't have this function, but if you hunt for data switches on the anroid market then you will find plenty to help you.

With a decent mp3 player, emails in a click and net on the move i reckons my htc is the bee's knees
henno

Post by henno »

another thing i noticed that severely depleted my battery is the 'latitude' app that i had turned on... since i turned it off im getting about another 1/2 day out of the battery
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

henno wrote:got a samsung galaxy S about a month ago.

I love it so far... very handy.

The best thing about it (the phone) so far is the 'swype' texting option... no more pushing stupid buttons!!! it makes writing any text so much easier and is very intelligent, includes place and peoples names as well as a large dictonary.

I had a sony erricson w995 symbian, which i found very good too.... great camera and a flash is extremely handy. But battery life was crap. the galaxy is a little better in battery life, getting about a full 1 1/2 days out of it.
of course, the whole app store thing is the best about it.... google maps comes in very handy for work.... i love the fact it also acts as a pdf reader, i can view and edit autocad dwg files, and the 'dropbox' cloud storage system is also gift!!
Jeez! Am I glad I started this thread! Thanks for the Dropbox recomendation. I've just downloaded it and it's fuckin' sensational! My phones one of the slower ones which means it takes a while to appear on my laptop but when it does and vice versa it's like magic! You can't move pics n vids around between folders on your phone though. Well I've not managed to do it yet.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Just got htc sensation from my company.
Boy oh boy. This is like a spaceship in my hand.
I have never before used or owned a smartphone so I'm really delighted with this litlle piece of technology.
Shitload of applications, surfing the web is basically easyer then on the computer. A great, great thing.

Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

Damn!t wrote:Just got htc sensation from my company.
Boy oh boy. This is like a spaceship in my hand.
I have never before used or owned a smartphone so I'm really delighted with this litlle piece of technology.
Shitload of applications, surfing the web is basically easyer then on the computer. A great, great thing.

what good apps have you found?