Phone discussion thread

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Phone discussion thread

Post by drafsack »

David Smith wrote: While i know not everybody needs a smartphone, what pisses me off a bit is the attitude of 'i just want a phone to actually be a phone' etc from some people that look down upon smartphone owners.
I fall into this category as most my students have smart phones and they are a pain in the ass because they are always on facebook, or checking emails or 'pinging' each other. Its not like the things they are doing are important. And even though we insist that they switch them off and put them away, within minutes they creep out as it's buzzed in their pocket 'it might be important' like their mum checking that they changed their underwear or cleaned their teeth that morning.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

David Smith wrote: While i know not everybody needs a smartphone, what pisses me off a bit is the attitude of 'i just want a phone to actually be a phone' etc from some people that look down upon smartphone owners.
I just want a phone to actually be a phone and have a half decent camera and a music player. I never used a smartphone, and I generally dislike the touch screen, but that doesn't mean that I won't eventually end up with one.

Though I don't think that some phones are smarter than others. It's the owners who are smart or not, and I have seen so many very stupid people using smartphones and vice versa. ;)
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

i would love a galaxy S 2 they are fantastic - so much slicker than anything else i have seen on the market but i will make do with my sony ericsson K550i which is over 3 years old now but still works
pastchristmas
Blade
Blade

Post by pastchristmas »

drafsack wrote:
I fall into this category as most my students have smart phones and they are a pain in the ass because they are always on facebook, or checking emails or 'pinging' each other. Its not like the things they are doing are important. And even though we insist that they switch them off and put them away, within minutes they creep out as it's buzzed in their pocket 'it might be important' like their mum checking that they changed their underwear or cleaned their teeth that morning.
Hey, teacher! Leave those kids alone! \:D/
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

Here's a few Android apps I've come across lately.
The Good
Chrome marks-Synch your Chrome bookmarks so you can acess them from your phone
Kingsoft office-Free Office suite
aNdClip-Clipboard app. Just never ceases to amaze me this phone. I was just thinking wouldn't it be good if you could store text on a clipboard on a phone then I thought I wonder if there's an app and there was! :D
SonicVox-Let's you record your voice and makes it go all funny.
The bad
Any that you can't move to your SD card and therefore just use up the phones internal memory. My phone is an HTC Wildfire s which is notorious for having ltd. internal memory.
The Ugly
Last night I discovered the magaziney part of Google Play (btw does anyone else hate the rebranding? I wish it was still called Market. Sounds cooler imo) and looked at the Top Free apps and dl an app called Solar Charger which puropted to be able to charge the battery. I don't know what the fuck was going on with it but it didn't work and all the reviews are just taking the piss out of it. Why the designers wasted their time with this stupid waste of space is beyond me.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

If your phone's rooted, this works well for moving apps to a micro SD card. https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... k2SD&hl=en
thefinalcut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thefinalcut »

Blackberry 8520 for me. :)
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

snifferdog wrote:If your phone's rooted, this works well for moving apps to a micro SD card. https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... k2SD&hl=en
I'm not sure if my phones' rooted or not...or rather I'm sure I don't know if it is or not :D Thanks for that. I think I've tried that app but it won't move any apps that came pre-installed or that I can't move to the SD card manually. What I really want to do is uninstally most of the apps that are in there pre-installed. Like the Flickr app and that stupid Peep twitter app. In fact I want to move them all to the SD card!! Luckily most of the ones i've recently dl have been able to move to it.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Their "rooting" cell phones? What does that mean????? ](*,)
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

It's something that most android phones won't be, as far as I know. It enables you to do more things to your phone I think.