Amazon Kindle Book Reader

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Amazon Kindle Book Reader

Post by Keith Jordan »

Anybody got one of those Amazon Kindle eBook readers? Any good?

Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Amazon Kindle Book Reader

Post by Stephen »

I bought one of the Sony ones a few months ago as I understood that you weren't limited to Amazon books (maybe that's changed now). Anyway it's irrelevant as I haven't set it up yet.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Yes, I have just bought one - it is winging its way to me. If you do order one, don't bother getting the Amazon case because it's ridiculously expensive. Anyone I know has done what I did and bought a fake one from our friends in the far East for a fraction of the price. I've road-tested my brother's one and liked it a lot. I like that it's not too bulky, it's easier to read in bed (where I tend to do most of my reading for some reason) and that it's easy to read. I'm not sure I'd like to be reading off an iPad - too shiny.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Is it backlit or does it resemble a piece of slightly grey paper? :D
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Mine arrived today so I've been playing with it. 8) No, it's not backlit. Some of the cases you can get for it have a little LED light it. I find it works perfectly fine with ordinary light - no problems there. If you want a reader with whistles and bells, this wouldn't be the one to get but I'm finding that as a bog standard means of reading books, it's pretty good indeed. The front end is a bit clunky but you'll get used to it.
pastchristmas
Blade
Blade

Post by pastchristmas »

My girlfriend's mother, who is a teacher, received one as an end-of-year gift from her students. She took it home, oohed and aahed over it for a few minutes, then put it back in the box where it remains.

Unfortunately, since she is the only one I know with a Kindle, I have no idea what it is actually like. Her dad and I have been meaning to open it up and see what it can do, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Personally, I prefer to stick with my laptop for reading ebooks.
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

I prefer books when it comes to reading books.
Meandthem
Blade
Blade

Post by Meandthem »

I like analog books on my shelf, but as a supplement for big, big factual books, it might come in handy.
Guess I'll snooze in a minute if I had it in the bed (as I tend to do with books!) but then I would know which page I feel asleep to...
progo
Axe
Axe

Post by progo »

I bought one and it is an excellent reader. I was surprised by the quality of the PDF reader. It is fast and handles difficult files as well.

One thing I don't like is the cost of the ebooks. Makes me spendy. The sample system is too good. :/