anybody here on google+?

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

anybody here on google+?

Post by davidjay »

feel free to add me to a circle and i'll do the same:
http://gplus.to/davidjay
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: anybody here on google+?

Post by my breakfast. »

I'm not on it, and I don't know many who are. It seems like Google trying to muscle into the Facebook market, even going so far as to pay unfunny "meme" websites like Cheezburger network to spam the sodding thing all over their website as if it is talk of the internet underground or some half baked bollocks like that. Sorry but it is like Microsoft trying to get into the Facebook market, too late and too clumsy imho.

No doubt they will bully us into using it eventually by automatically synching it with anybody with a youtube account or any google mail activated account (also required for a youtube account).

Fuck me, but the internet is getting smaller. Google shop you the best search engine results, net neutrality is going down the drain. Its only a matter of time before some old toady like Murdoch wants to hammer his bent world view onto us all again by making google an offer they cannot refuse. All these unwashed programmers using cool buzz words turn into moneyed up businessmen in the end.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Google has a powerful weapon in this game and it's called manipulation.

For a short time yesterday morning, Google 3D Warehouse required logging in with a Google account. I'm sure that it was only a test of some sort, because it didn't require logging in this morning, but it was long enough for me to discover it and get annoyed. (I use 3D Warehouse for work, since I make 3D models of interior design and find it useful to download ready-made models of existing home appliances so I don't have to design them myself, as I usually do with the furniture.)

An "ordinary" Google account did the trick for me there, but I could easily imagine Google restricting some of its resources to premium users (in this case Google+ users), like they did on YouTube a couple of years ago. Though that would basically be a black(G)mail.

Needless to say, I'm piling up unused Google+ invitations in my e-mail inbox without any attempt of using them. Yet.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I can't say I know an awful lot about it. I did the +1 thing for NPF because the boss here asked but other than that I can't see myself bothering. I've got a gmail account, I'm on Facebook and I post here. That's enough for me. I turned off Google Buzz, I don't tweet, I don't MySpace. Actually, does anyone MySpace these days?
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Actually, I have been meaning to sign up for a while. I believe the press are suggesting it will challenge LinkedIn rather than Facebook, and I am tending to believe it.