Why does it rain so much right now in Northern Europe?

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Why does it rain so much right now in Northern Europe?

Post by moom »

I don't know about your region, but here in Estonia this summer is just SWIMMING in rains, as if Heaven's pipes have all worn out and broke up. It's so annoying and makes me wonder what conditions may cause so much rain in Northern Europe, such a bummer? I'm sorry for swearing, but honestly the last word is exactly how I feel... in other words, like summer's been just half-dumped.
Faint
Blade
Blade

Re: Why does it rain so much right now in Northern Europe?

Post by Faint »

here in Lithuania raining everyday as well. feels like in tropics. seems quite strange, because we're not used to live in such weather
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

You would have to look at trends in weather for the last 25 years to ascertain exactly if we are actually getting wetter weather than usual. You could also say that the gulf stream in the Atlantic might have changed course slightly resulting in air masses reaching European land masses somewhat differently than during the last 10 years. The last decade is viewed amongst some climatologists as a false positive masking any long term climate change that may have happened recently (as a result of human, natural, or human + natural inputs). You could also attribute it to the earth's non circular orbit of the sun which at times sends it slightly further away from the sun, which combined with solar activity might have certain influences.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

No, not us, Alan. Not like this.

Faint, hi neighbor.

I am rather looking for a scientific explanation.
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

moom wrote:I am rather looking for a scientific explanation.
God is crying.
pastchristmas
Blade
Blade

Post by pastchristmas »

Idisaffect wrote:
moom wrote:I am rather looking for a scientific explanation.
God is crying.
Because the angel failed to pick up the 7-10 split.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

!!!
moom did you think McBreakfasts attempt at explanation was not a scientific explanation?
Estonia is a coastal nation, on a western coast, therefor I would predict just looking at a map it would be rainy
weather systems generally move from west to east, and when they move off the ocean onto to dry land they tend to dump some water
why? because sunlight causes water to evaporate off the ocean surface, adding to a wet air mass
when the air mass moves over land, the change in temperature and elevation causes the moisture to become to heavy for the air mass to continue to carry it

thats why they call the West Coast of Canada the Wet Coast and why you find temperate rain forests there

if the question is why is it raining so much lately, you might want to try rereading mcBreakfasts post
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Faint wrote:here in Lithuania raining everyday as well. feels like in tropics. seems quite strange, because we're not used to live in such weather
Lithuania??? Is the fact that the colours of the flag are rasta colours the reason your location says Jamaica?
Faint
Blade
Blade

Post by Faint »

nosaj wrote: Lithuania??? Is the fact that the colours of the flag are rasta colours the reason your location says Jamaica?
just love Jamaica. but rasta's flags version also good shot. it's spread all over the world as i see :D
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

J Ed wrote:!!!
moom did you think McBreakfasts attempt at explanation was not a scientific explanation?
Simply put, no. I mentioned that before that such weather is not common to us.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Well get off your ass and find out. If you don't like my perfectly valid arguments then don't simply bitch about it, come up with your own fucking research. I'm not your mother boyo!

http://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?q=w ... =en&tab=ws

Begin here. Lots of white papers to be reading about the subject.

I personally think your perception of the weather is a bit fucked and that you are vastly over-emphasising current weather trends as being an indicator of highest all-time rainfall but that is just me.
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

Are you denying the scientific fact that the rain is God crying, McBreakfast?
moom wrote:I don't know about your region, but here in Estonia this summer is just SWIMMING in rains, as if Heaven's pipes have all worn out and broke up. It's so annoying and makes me wonder what conditions may cause so much rain in Northern Europe, such a bummer? I'm sorry for swearing, but honestly the last word is exactly how I feel.
Is "bummer" a swear word where you live?
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

my breakfast. wrote:Well get off your ass and find out. If you don't like my perfectly valid arguments then don't simply bitch about it, come up with your own fucking research. I'm not your mother boyo!

http://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?q=w ... =en&tab=ws

Begin here. Lots of white papers to be reading about the subject.

I personally think your perception of the weather is a bit fucked and that you are vastly over-emphasising current weather trends as being an indicator of highest all-time rainfall but that is just me.
I ain't over-emphasasing nothing, it rains almost every day, that sucks, and that's the bottom line.

As for the scientific shit I'm on about - read this
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/scien ... planation/

To put short, all I'm asking is to give me some sort of this: "This and that cause extencive raining/This and that gather and react so that rains extencively". Too much to ask ;) ?
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Yes it is too much to ask for, as you are vastly simplifying a complex and unpredictable weather system the size of mainland Europe. Such weather systems have so many discrete 'buffers' and individual inputs that they are not actually fully understood. They are influenced by the temperature of the sea, landmasses, colliding air flows, areas of different pressure, even the distance from the sun (we are not on a circular orbit of the sun). Volcanic ash can alter the weather as can many many more tiny discrete factors, so there is no one special reason why it happens to be raining a lot in Europe right now.
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

Clouds....lots of 'em. That'll be what's causing it!