The changing voices of Roger Waters.

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
spainboy
Embryo
Embryo

The changing voices of Roger Waters.

Post by spainboy »

I remember when I bought the Album Amused to Death when it was first released in the early 90s and I noticed Roger's voice style had completely changed from Radio Kaos,Final Cut,The Wall etc and it just seemed so old and strained, I initially thought he was putting it on. Nearly 20 years after that was made his voice in his concerts seem to be back to how it used to be although a little deeper and still a sense of strain on some notes but his voice sounds better than ever now.

Was there reason for his voice difference when he recorded ATD because his voice in Radio Kaos about 5 years earlier still sounded young and smooth? Was it just age?
Enish
Knife
Knife

Re: The changing voices of Roger Waters.

Post by Enish »

That's what usually happens. Voices get deeper with age, but during the 70s, Roger Waters' voice seems to have gotten more high-pitched. Try listening and comparing "Sea Shell and Stone" and "Brain Damage" to "Nobody Home" and "Your Possible Pasts". It's probably the singing style he's chosen or maybe it's just my ears fooling me.
spainboy
Embryo
Embryo

Post by spainboy »

Amused to Death is a great album musically and lyrically but to me his gravelly voice didn't suit it. It sounded like he had aged 30 years in 3. Unfortunately I wasn't lucky enough to go to the recent Wall concert although I have seen Roger twice in the last 5 years and watching youtube videos of this concert his voice sounds excellent, better than the last 2 concerts I went to. Debatable whether he has had help or some of it was pre recorded though but at the end of the day his 2010/11 voice is back and a long way off the way he sounded when he brought out ATD which sounded like he was in pain. That would have sounded dreadful on The Wall. He must have had some intense vocal training to condition his voice to the way he used to sing.
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

I think I read something about Waters going for some vocal training before setting off to do The Wall. Given that he's performed in over 100 cities at this point, that was a wise decision for him to make.
progo
Axe
Axe

Post by progo »

And I thought he did ATD with a certain voice for artistic effect!
thefinalcut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thefinalcut »

I guess he never saw himself as a singer, so that he hardly took care of his voice...
He had a beautiful unique voice, in my opinion.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

If he sings songs within his range, he's not the worst singer in the world. I reckon he probably sees himself as being a non-singer in the Bob Dylan mould. I'd rather listen to Roger sing any day of the week though - Bob's voice can grate.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

I've saw Dylan live a couple of years ago and his singing was terrible. I understand ITS BOB, but still. Rubbish gig.

I'm not a big fan of Roger's singing. He is clearly tone deaf, check out the videos of Set the Controls where has one finger in his ear like an old folky to try and pitch the notes. Actually Roger's aggressive stage presence back then all seems a cover for his nervous disposition onstage. He clearly was not that happy with his musical abilities or looks for quite a long time given his propensity for snearing bravado on and off stage, his penchant for black t-shirts and his nervous or otherwise socially lacking stage banter.

Having said that his early voice, to me, is a lot better than his yelling voice on The Wall or The Final Cut. When he sings high you really hear how cracked and otherwise useless his voice is.
Camila
Axe
Axe

Post by Camila »

I've always considered Roger mainly as a a songwriter, so for me it's like hearing a poet reading his poems to the audience, it's a pleasure you cannot miss.
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

Camila wrote:I've always considered Roger mainly as a a songwriter, so for me it's like hearing a poet reading his poems to the audience, it's a pleasure you cannot miss.
I agree with this. I don't think Roger cares about what people think of his singing as long as his messages get across. I read somewhere that he didn't care about who got lead vocals in the studio, either.
Stinibobs
Axe
Axe

Post by Stinibobs »

Camila wrote:I've always considered Roger mainly as a a songwriter, so for me it's like hearing a poet reading his poems to the audience, it's a pleasure you cannot miss.
I agree with this also!
thefinalcut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thefinalcut »

This is one of the most beautiful opinions I ever read on Roger Waters ! :D
Last edited by thefinalcut on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
why_att
Axe
Axe

Post by why_att »

Yes, perfect phrasing.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

my breakfast. wrote:I've saw Dylan live a couple of years ago and his singing was terrible. I understand ITS BOB, but still. Rubbish gig.
I saw Dylan once a long time ago. One of the worst concerts I have ever seen. Roger Waters actually sings better and at least attempts to give the audience a show.

I have always liked Roger's voice. It is quite distinctive. He manages to make it work with his lyrics quite well.
Prisma
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Prisma »

During DSOTM tour (which I lived in Santiago, Chile) his voice was weak. During The Wall Tour (in Fort Lauderdale, FL) his voice was amazing. I knew he had been training his voice as well as his physical condition, and both were great.