How To Play Blu-Ray Disc on PC with Software/Drive

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

How To Play Blu-Ray Disc on PC with Software/Drive

Post by Keith Jordan »

My PC has a Blu-Ray DVD-RW drive and I am trying to play a blu-ray disco on it. When I click in My Computer to make it play, it opens with Windows Media Player but does not do anything.

What do I need to do to make it play? Do I install a Codec for Windows Media Player to play Blu-Ray or do I need another media player all together?
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: How To Play Blu-Ray Disc on PC with Software/Drive

Post by nosaj »

most computers with a blu-ray disc come with another media player...are you trying to play the DSotM blu-ray, may I ask?
oldhippy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by oldhippy »

Keith according to a google search VLC player can play bluray files / Blu-Ray movies. Not sure about the HD movies.

PowerDVD will play blueray files. Not sure if its free.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

nosaj wrote:most computers with a blu-ray disc come with another media player...are you trying to play the DSotM blu-ray, may I ask?
Yes, I am trying to watch the BluRay from DSotM but am being prevented from doing so! My computer has Total Media Extreme which is supposed to play the disc but wont do anything!! ](*,)
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

To get Blu-rays running you'll have to get something like Cyberlink PowerDVD and then either run them through that or through Media Center.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Keith Jordan wrote:
nosaj wrote:most computers with a blu-ray disc come with another media player...are you trying to play the DSotM blu-ray, may I ask?
Yes, I am trying to watch the BluRay from DSotM but am being prevented from doing so! My computer has Total Media Extreme which is supposed to play the disc but wont do anything!! ](*,)
Mine doesn't work either on my computer, but I just don't have the budget right now to buy one for my tv.
CDWheeler
Axe
Axe

Post by CDWheeler »

When I got my PC about three years ago it came with a Blu-Ray drive and I bought Corel WinDVD9 Platinum to play the movies. This worked fine for a while until I bought Avatar on Blu-Ray and it said I needed their latest software which cost about another £60. In the end I just bought a PS3 for gaming/Blu-Rays. So watch out for which software you choose.

Might be better to go with a cheap Blu-Ray player such as this one from Currys http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/philips-bd ... 2-pdt.html. About the same price as the software last time I looked.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Yes, it is looking like I will have to buy a player which I am not pleased about as I bought my PC on the understanding that it played blu-ray discs!!!!! ](*,)
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I've got the current issue of Computeractive here. It says that you need a codec to play it on a computer and that software to play the discs will have come with the DVD drive. It doesn't name any software to use, though it did link to this http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/technolog ... lution.jsp