PF Vinyl

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
joetothphoto
Embryo
Embryo

PF Vinyl

Post by joetothphoto »

Hoping someone a tad older than me can help me with a vinyl / turntable question.

I would like to buy the PF Vinyl to actually listen to it, but no turntable right now.

If I buy a turntable, do I need a receiver / amp or do turntables have a headphone jack I could just plug into?

Ive been looking into some used Rega 2 models on ebay, but the pictures don't show a headphone jack.

Joe
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: PF Vinyl

Post by Stephen »

I've a feeling you can get the turntable/amp models combined but for better quality you'd be better going for separates I would have thought and there are some bargains to be picked up these days if you aren't so worried about having the latest models. You do need some sort of amp though to be able to play the records.
joetothphoto
Embryo
Embryo

Post by joetothphoto »

Thanks Stephen, thats what I discovered too.
Meandthem
Blade
Blade

Post by Meandthem »

You should also get a turntable with less "automatic" features - that is: no automatic pickup elevation, no autostop, no auto pickup return and so forth. Just a turntable that turns at exactly 33⅓ RPM (and 45 RPM) AND where the turntable itself is heavy solid-body metal, suspended and shock-absorbent. No plastic or lightweight!
The pickup-arm must be adjustable and the pickup-head detachable.

The receiver must be a RIAA-amplifier or you can buy a pre-amplifier. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization
Good luck!
Creek
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Creek »

Turntables that have a usb connection and audio jacks are available. I got my son one a couple of Christmases ago. They aren't the heavy duty type that Meandthem talked about, but if you put them on a heavy piece of furniture they perform well enough. You have the choice of listening to your albums or uploading them on your computer, so you can take your favorites on the go via mp3s or CDs. There is software that will clean up the noise you can have with vinyls. My son has taken many of my old albums, one example being the Wall, converted it to the wav. format with very good sound quality. From there you have the choices I mentioned.
What ever you end up doing, enjoy the music. 8)
joetothphoto
Embryo
Embryo

Post by joetothphoto »

Thanks for all the advice. Id like a turntable and amp so I can just listen to vinyl inside at home.