Floydian vinyl boot thread

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Floydian vinyl boot thread

Post by J Ed »

its my 5000th post and therefor I get to talk about whatever I want, so I chosen one of my favourite Floyd related topics - them mysterious expensive vinyl boots!
and since I couldnt find an existing general purpose Floyd vinyl boots thread Im starting a new one
1st: this site is an excellent resource for Floydian vinyl boot info

onceuponatime, when I was a young FloydFan, there was a store near me that had more vinyl boots than legitimate albums, and I used to drool over the dozens of Floydian titles in that store ... ones with songs I never heard of like The Violent Sequence and the Travel Sequence and Raving and Drooling, 20 minute long Saucerfuls, crude photocopied artwork recycling old Escher prints .. and they all cost so damn much I could never even consider risking the purchase of one

now Im a grownup and can spend my $$$ how I choose, and I often come across vintage vinyl boots of other bands I collect for $20- or less
and yet for some reason them Floydian ones remain elusive and still way too expensive when they do show up

anyways in the last couple months I did pick three up three classic Floydian vinyl boots to add to the J Edwardian Archives of Fine toonage:

Crackers (Hollywood Bowl 1972)
a 3 record set of a complete 1972 show. with the archetypic photocopied bootleg artwork
really what I want is Best of Tour 72 but have never seen that one, but I did get a deal on another classic 72 show
this comes in a box like old operas and Book-Of-The-Month Club records once did
nice to have an early Dark Side on vinyl, as well as an extended Saucerful, but the vinyl sounds not so good at all ... just adds more to my respect to RonToons remastering job on the Bowl De Luna Harvested cd because he somehow made this same show sound near perfect

Image Image
British Winter Tour 74 (Trentham Gardens 1974)
which is their opening set from 1974, now of course officially released albeit from another nights performance
this one is actually a contemporary repressing, on heavywight vinyl
Im not so sure about the ethics of buying newly pressed vinyl boots, I cant argue its a scarce historic artifact
but this is one Ive always wanted and Im sure the heavyweight repressing sounds better than the original did
and now theres a genuine official release of this Opening Set, I can congratulate myself on having it on vinyl cant I

And The Walls Came Down (Nassau Stadium 1980)
The Wall live spread across 3 records
also in a box like Crackers, but this one has a wraparound printed cover instead of the cheap usual photocopied sheet, it looks very classy
I always liked this classic boot better than the official Is There Anybody Out There, because for one thing Rogers "hes not a very nice pig but he's a BIG PIG!!!" rant is better than the variant that made it onto the official release
sounds barely more than mono though, Im sure the cd I have of this show has a more convincing stereo spectrum

funny thing: both Crackers and the Live Wall set have their three records mislabeled, so that Side 1 and 2 is actually Side 3 and 4, and so on...
I know the manufacturers would deliberately give these records misleading labels to confuse prying eyes but I cant see how having the correct info applied on the wrong records would save them from a spot inspection? and funny the missequencing pattern is exactly the same on both triple lp sets

any other folks have Floydian boots on vinyl?
tell us whutchya got and whutchya thank and whutchya know about them
I like learning the history of these mysterious artifacts
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Floydian vinyl boot thread

Post by nosaj »

My first boot ever was Rhapsody In Pink (The Psychedelic Years). It had a great cover and, because it is BBC recordings, the quality was excellent. I was in for disappointments after that, with some gems.

I have had all of those albums posted in the original post.
Frankymole
Axe
Axe

Post by Frankymole »

My only vinyl (rather than CD) boot was "Feed Your Head", remarkable for the fast Interstellar Overdrive titled "Looking Through the Knotholes in Granny's Woode Leg" (was it speeded up, or actually played that fast?) and "Let's Roll Another One" lyrics to "Candy and a Currant Bun" which I hadn't heard before. All available on CD susequently, I suppose.

The original LP of Winter Tour '74 was so professionally packaged that a lot of people thought it was Floyd's next official release after Dark Side, didn't they? So rumour goes.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

J Ed wrote:Image
Crackers (Hollywood Bowl 1972)
a 3 record set of a complete 1972 show. with the archetypic photocopied bootleg artwork
really what I want is Best of Tour 72 but have never seen that one, but I did get a deal on another classic 72 show
this comes in a box like old operas and Book-Of-The-Month Club records once did
nice to have an early Dark Side on vinyl, as well as an extended Saucerful, but the vinyl sounds not so good at all ... just adds more to my respect to RonToons remastering job on the Bowl De Luna Harvested cd because he somehow made this same show sound near perfect
My memory of this is that the Crackers vinyl was actually mixed. Some 1972, some 1973 or something and that Harvested/RonToon actually put together a proper and full 1972 show.
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

Post by davidjay »

as referenced in another thread, my first was:
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

J Ed wrote: Image Image
British Winter Tour 74 (Trentham Gardens 1974)
This is my first Floyd vinyl boot.
Have to give it a spin after having my ears filled with the all new posh polished version of this gig.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

I have six vinyl boots, three of which are from back in the 70's and the remainder are recent releases.

The three original ones (as much as I can ascertain anyway) are as follows.

Best Of Tour '72

Dark Side Of The Moo

Tour '73
Last edited by Stephen on Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

the later ones are as follows

San Tropez

A Darker Side Of The Moon

and this two disc box set with a poster and sticker.

Eclipsed - The Pink Box

danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Stephen wrote:San Tropez

That's certainly the best Pink Floyd bootleg album cover I have ever seen. Classy.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

J Ed wrote:its my 5000th post
Not to go off topic, but is this the last post?
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

nosaj wrote:
J Ed wrote:its my 5000th post
Not to go off topic, but is this the last post?
J Ed seems to have lost a couple since then
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

nosaJ wrote:is this the last post?
Im sure my last post will be something random and pointless, leading me to the epiphany Ive been wasting precious years in front of my computer and should go out and get a life while I still have time left
drafsack wrote:J Ed seems to have lost a couple since then
a clever scheme to get me to make at least two more posts

back on topic, plizz, does anybody else have any nice vinyl boots they want to tell us all about?
I got three more of the Floydian variety I can dissertate about once I collect my thoughts
wilfsdad
Embryo
Embryo

Post by wilfsdad »

I own "California Stockyard" which is live in Anaheim 6 may 1977, not bad from the '77 tour but not the best. I also have "the original motion picture soundtrack for the committee and other stories" on funny farm records, side 1 is the soundtrack, side 2 is the rome piper club show.
the interesting thing where i live is that i have seen brand new pressings of many vinyl boots in one of my local emporium for $17.99, not just floyd. somebody has a friend in a pressing plant methinks. they also have vinyl copies of saucerful, and other regular Floyd albums sans barcode, and are obvious fakes.
walter5
Blade
Blade
Location: 13th Floor Elevator, Enron Hubbard Bldg. Houston Texxas

Post by walter5 »

Yes, we're seeing some of those fakes and bootlegs here in Texas. But they're oddball-- the "Saucerful" for example, is the rare mono mix (not that it's anything more than a fold-down of the stereo mix done by Norman Smith). I think they're coming in from the EEU. This stuff has been trading circles for years, so at least they're using decent quality recordings to reproduce them. I'm also seeing "limited editon" Beatles and Zeppelin coming from European suppliers too-- 500 copies in blue, 500 in red, 500 in yellow, 500 in orange, 500 in black, etc. like the recent "Abracadabra", a Beatles Rubber Soul compilation that contains out-fakes and unreleased tracks from the Rock Star video game. There was that Syd Barrett bootleg LP that came out a couple years ago, "You Got It Now" I think it was called? Same EEU source, if the product signs (card stock, print quality, LP labels) are any indication (and they usually are). Sometimes I'm seeing them for $30, sometimes for under $20, I guess that has to do with how many middle-men they go through before they get to the seller's hands...
Mike Eder
Axe
Axe

Post by Mike Eder »

Great stuff has come out the last 3 years on vinyl. The Floyd vinyl boots site in incredibly good and helpfull.