New David Gilmour Tours Website

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

New David Gilmour Tours Website

Post by Keith Jordan »

I set up another blog for David Gilmour Tours in case he does another album and tour. Cost me less than £10 so why the hell not!

Anyway, have a visit, let me know if you can see the website yet (may take a day or two to appear in your country/ISP) and perhaps share any thoughts about how it looks, what content should be on it and if you want to write anything for it.

It should become like Roger Waters Tours .com in time - a news respository for a busy tour hopefully!!

Anyway, please visit David Gilmour Tours > http://www.davidgilmourtours.com/
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New David Gilmour Tours Website

Post by snifferdog »

Looks nice, Keith. If a tad empty. Not your fault of course - it's up to David Gilmour to get the finger out and give you reason to fill that page :twisted:
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I have three articles on there now and shall add more tomorrow to get it going I guess. :D

I was inspired in terms of the theme of the site by the new look David Gilmour blog which has had a makeover. :)
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

Looks really good! I'm going to keep an eye out for that one. I'm actually planning on going somewhere that's near a bookstore tomorrow, so I might be able to see if the Feb. 2012 issue of Guitar World is available to purchase.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Excellent, do let us know what you think of it. ;-)
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

Just came back from said bookstore and read the article, or rather, articles, in the latest issue of Guitar World. The first was about Wish You Were Here and the other was about Meddle. Interestingly, the WYWH article was place first, considering that Meddle was released first.

Here's a brief rundown of the articles and interesting tidbits revealed in them:

Wish You Were Here

- There's nothing mentioned here that any Pink Floyd enthusiast hadn't heard before. It mentions the Syd Barrett visit, the rising tensions between the band, etc. It's one to skip.

- The article makes mention of the scrapped Household Objects project, stating that the band had completed 3 - 4 tracks by the time they abandoned the project altogether. These tracks were "Noizee", "Carrot Crunching", "Papa Was a Rolling Floyd", and "The Hard Way", the latter being featured in the Immersion set of The Dark Side of the Moon as one of the assorted rarities included in the set.

- The reason Waters blew his voice out singing "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" was because the song was written at the edge of his vocal range. He also stated (previously) that he was never confident in his singing ability and, due to forcing his voice to reach that high, he threw it out, making him unable to record "Have a Cigar".

- The band was wholly uninterested in the project. A lot of the time, the members would arrive at the sessions late, pushing the recording back and forcing them to speed up the recording process.

- The payment for Roy Harper's contribution to the album was discussed at the end of the article. Harper wanted to be paid with a lifetime season pass to his favorite cricket arena, but Waters never came around to granting his request. After 10 years, Harper sent Waters a letter stating that a payment of £10,000 would suffice. Waters never got back to him about that, either.

Meddle

- The Meddle article was based more on opinion than fact. It was essentially written to act as a form of praise for the album. Although the article seemed to state that it was a prototype to Dark Side, it seemed to put the album on the same pedestal as the latter. A lot of the article was dedicated to a roll call of musicians and artists who were influenced by Meddle, including Porcupine Tree and Echo and the Bunnymen.

- The article made mention about an Immersion and Experience edition of the album to be released, but unless EMI can confirm this, I'd take this with a grain of salt.

- The wah-wah pedel Gilmour used during "Echoes" was the same one that Jimi Hendrix often used. Hendrix died during the recording, so that had a great influence on the band, especially Gilmour.

- At the end of the article, Mason mentioned that he would like to do something like Live 8 again with Waters and Gilmour, but only if it could be arranged.

Extras included in the magazine were a fold-out poster designed by Storm Thorgerson to commemorate Meddle's 40th anniversary and tabs for "One of These Days"

Overall, this wasn't something worth picking up for me, even with the $8 price tag. I'm also not a serious guitarist, so the rest of the magazine would have been of no interest to me.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Thank you kindly for the precis. Sounds like there is nothing new there. I guess after 40 years of interviews about it, there is no stone that has not been turned already. Instead of trying to turn a fresh stone on it, perhaps they should just put the stones in a bag and call it part of an Immersion edition! <.8.> :lol:
Pink Domino
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Pink Domino »

Thank you Keith. It looks fantastic. Have it on my faves :)