US Shuts Down Megaupload - More File Share Sites Fall

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

US Shuts Down Megaupload - More File Share Sites Fall

Post by nosaj »

Last edited by nosaj on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Re: US Shuts Down Megaupload

Post by J Ed »

I wish they would at least wait til after The Wall immersion set comes out

(joking ... of course Im going to forgo a couple weeks groceries budget for two cds of demos)
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

So it has. Hope they don't start trying to find out who downloaded what from there :shock:
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Lol. I recon half of the internet has downloaded something from there. The chance they would make an example of you is probably slim. Although, perhaps by typing here, their spybots will be picking up what we are writing and will come fuck us up! <.8.>
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Maybe we could offer up some people who post here to the spybots as a human sacrifice ;)

I do wonder what percentage of material uploaded to Megaupload wasn't pirated?
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Appearently they want us to go back to the dark ages so the big record labels and movie studios can keep making some big money as in the old times. I wonder what would happen if they did democratic elections for this kind of laws instead of operating via lobbyist giving permanent blowjobs to congress men.

Fuck SOPA. I guess I could have post this on the "Things That Really Annoy You" thread too. Fuck.
An indictment accused Megaupload.com of costing copyright holders at least $500-million (U.S.) in lost revenue.
I wonder how they calculate lost revenue? Do they assume that each download equals a lost sale? Yeah right! I would never ever buy 90% of the shit I have downloaded, even if I wanted to I wouldn't have that much money. So lost revenue my ass. Do I think they have loses because of downloads? Yes, but not as much as they want legislators to believe.

Also without the internet and "ilegal" downloads/uploads (youtube and the like) I wouldn't know half the music that I know, and I wouldn't have bought half the things that I have bought. A lot of obscure and cult bands now have a bigger market thanks to "ilegal" downloads that made available their music to people that otherwise would have never had a chance to know them. When was the last time that you listened to Faust, Can or Neu on the radio? And this are actually kinda famous bands.
RonToon
Blade
Blade

Post by RonToon »

snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

What's not a nice thought either is that even bootleg sites could get shut down. This site of course has already lost its tracker/trading section :(
Gem
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Gem »

danielcaux wrote:I wonder what would happen if they did democratic elections for this kind of laws instead of operating via lobbyist giving permanent blowjobs to congress men.
:)
danielcaux wrote:
An indictment accused Megaupload.com of costing copyright holders at least $500-million (U.S.) in lost revenue.
I wonder how they calculate lost revenue? Do they assume that each download equals a lost sale? Yeah right! I would never ever buy 90% of the shit I have downloaded
True of most people I suspect.
snifferdog wrote:This site of course has already lost its tracker/trading section :(
:smt089
rosm
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by rosm »

snifferdog wrote:What's not a nice thought either is that even bootleg sites could get shut down. This site of course has already lost its tracker/trading section :(
That's what brought me here in the first place, ages ago...
RonToon
Blade
Blade

Post by RonToon »

Yeeshkul continues to be the definitive site for live Floyd recordings.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

RonToon wrote:Yeeshkul continues to be the definitive site for live Floyd recordings.
This is true.

It caused me great upset to see the NPF tracker go. The Floyd should encourage it, Roger Waters believes it a healthy hobby. But, then again, he said that when he believed he was God so who knows....
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

I see most of you are lol'ing and stuff, when you should be contacting your authorities and show your protest. Matter of fact, I will, I'm already putting together a letter to the Ministry Of Foreign Affairs (residents outside U.S. have that option).

This is a message I have left on several YouTube videos as well as my Facebook page:

ATTENTION, RESIDENTS OUTSIDE U.S.!
WE (because it includes me) HAVE AN OPTION OF WRITING PROTEST LETTERS TO OUR LOCAL MINISTRIES OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS! I know I am going to send one today.
At risk are:
1. freedom of speech and expression (up-and-coming artists who can't/don't want to be conveyed by huge record labels),
2. our wallets (imagine BUYING all the music we freely download... and even if they make us pay for music, they should first raise our salaries A LOT),
3. things I have missed.

I always say, if you want something to happen, do what you can/may to make it happen and not wait for someone else to do it. In fact, I'm feeling VERY inspired right now to start/support other pages on Facebook protesting things that should be protested. Even if by error-and-trial, I want to do it. Because someone has to. To put their foot down and say, "I've had enough!"
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Taking something from the internet is no different to taking somehing in a shop. We all know what MegaUpload was for and there is nothing wrong with it being shut down.

If people are just going to steal without paying, then where does the money come from to finance the next film, the next band, the next book or whatever.

Theft is theft. However, these two new bills are not necessary.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Keith Jordan wrote:Taking something from the internet is no different to taking somehing in a shop.
That's the MPAA and RIAA mantra and what they have been hammering on politicians minds for over a decade, but I respectfuly disagree Keith, it IS vastly different. What's the production cost of the digital copy of an album, movie or book that someone takes from the internet? To make it a less rhetorical question I will answer it myself: zero.

I would rather say that taking something from the internet is no different to recording a cassette from a record you borrowed or photocopying a library book that you need to read for college. You are not stealing absolutely ANYONE, your friend and library still own the record and book. The only difference is that in the digital realm there's no loss in quality, it's a perfect photocopy but that doesn't make it stealing, that's just the big corporations twisted logic.

Yes, it may be against current copyright laws, but that may only mean that perhaps copyright laws are hugely outdated and not in touch with the modern times. Making a profit from other people's work is wrong, but sharing information, knowledge and culture freely is a measure of the global civilization progress and that certainly can't be sacrificed.

Corporations is time to let go and EVOLVE!