US Shuts Down Megaupload - More File Share Sites Fall

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Re: US Shuts Down Megaupload

Post by moom »

nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: US Shuts Down Megaupload - More File Share Sites Fall

Post by nosaj »

Well, there is a domino effect - read updates of file sharing sites changing policies, etc. http://torrentfreak.com/cyberlocker-eco ... on-120123/
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I buy very few physical albums. I listen to most of the latest bands on my paid Napster service. I can download an unlimited amount of music per month and transfer onto three devices for £15 per month. Not bad.

Stop the stealing of official releases... that you would normally buy.
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

Suffer, you freeloaders :twisted:
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I like spotify for listening to music but the powers that be aren't making that easy. It's not available in loads of countries. I've noticed too they some artists are disappearing off it
So much for the legal route, eh?
oldhippy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by oldhippy »

Fucking bastards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuxO6CZptck
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Sorry, I'm not buying that "copy = stealing" logic. Don't be that gullible to accept everything that the man says as the unquestionable truth. It's considered "stealing" just because they created a law that states it a such.

IMO stealing would be entering a record store and putting the WYWH Immersion Boxset inside your baggy pants with all the scarfs and marbles and posters and stuff and then leave. But if I download a pic of the scarf and then ask my granny to knit an exact replica for me, would that be stealing too? I don't think so, although current copyright laws may state it otherwise.

For another example of copyright nonsense watch this (well, actually don't watch it because you would be kinda breaking the law):

The mighty Atomium!

SABAM, Belgium's society for collecting copyrights, has claimed worldwide intellectual property rights on all reproductions of the image via the United States Artists Rights Society (ARS) . For example SABAM issued a demand that a United States website remove all images of them from its pages. The website responded by replacing all such images with a warning not to take photographs of the Atomium, and that Asbl Atomium will sue if you show them to anyone. Sabam confirmed that permission is required....

From the Atomium's website, the current copyright restrictions exempt private individuals under the following conditions,

There are some cases however where use of the image of the Atomium is not restricted by any rights. This is the case where photographs are taken by private individuals and shown on private websites for no commercial purpose (the current trend for photo albums), as long as these pictures are displayed at a low resolution (600 pixels maximum, resolution of 72dpi) to avoid abusive usage and downloads. However, the words "© http://www.atomium.be - SABAM 2010 - photographers name" must be included next to the image.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomium#Wo ... ght_claims

http://atomium.be/AuthorsRights.aspx

Now back on topic with megaupload, this seems interesting:

Was Megaupload Targeted Because Of Its Upcoming Megabox Digital Jukebox Service?
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Keith Jordan wrote: Stop the stealing of official releases... that you would normally buy.
I told you, I listen first, decide whether to buy later. If I really love it, I will buy.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: US Shuts Down Megaupload

Post by moom »

I'm sorry... did I say ridiculous? I was so wrong...

Because THIS is ridiculous!
(I only mirrored it).

Not so funny now, is it!?

So Keith, you were saying...?

And, do you think we're really all going to jail? Even if I live in Estonia?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Its theft.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

So we really all should go to jail? All of the downloaders?
oldhippy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by oldhippy »

In that case I'm going to jail for a very long time. The ones that should be in the slammer are the greedy bastards that keep ripping people off. If you want to keep paying exorbitant prices then carry on.
Today I’ve downloaded
Leonard Cohen - Old ideas cd
The Churchill Downs - The Churchill Downs 1967-68 cd
Mostly Autumn That Night In Leamington Video
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

moom wrote:So we really all should go to jail? All of the downloaders?
Only those from Estonia. Yes, come to think of it, definitely those who are from Estonia! Oh... that's you! :lol:

In order to send someone to jail there must be a trial. A trial is expensive so millions wont be going to jail. They are trying to jail the big fish. They gave up trying to prosecute individuals and making examples of them because people just don't give a flying fuck about stealing their shit. They believe they are immune to capture and perhaps they are right! So this jailing business is for the big fish operating the mass copyright theft enabling services on t'inteweb. Are you one of these, Moom? Are you a big player? You one of the big ol' lads?
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I am still not sure what to make of this. It is not clear cut for me, quite yet.