US Shuts Down Megaupload - More File Share Sites Fall

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: US Shuts Down Megaupload - More File Share Sites Fall

Post by nosaj »

danielcaux wrote:The thing is that we are not talking about digital piracy here, we are talking about sharing files for free.
Yes. This where things are tricky. Sharing is awesome. True, people do share pirated material, but also legit material too. A new technological innovation threatens the old order.

Another thought - we pay for computers, software and internet access, so nothing is actually free. Maybe part of your internet fee could be distributed directly to artists, like the fee paid when restaurants/bars play music...or something... :-k
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

RonToon wrote:
danielcaux wrote:The thing is that we are not talking about digital piracy here, we are talking about sharing files for free.
Robin Hood robbed from the rich and gave to the poor... for free. He was still a thief and so is anyone who illegally uploads or downloads music or movies w/o paying for it.
And yet, Robin Hood was good and right. The Sheriff of Nottingham + co. were bad and wrong. That's how the story goes.

Also, it wasn't too long ago that the righteous record company industry was prescribing how buyers of music could listen to their purchases. Today, everybody knows that you can make copies of your LP/CD/MP3 and listen to it in any format that suits you as and when you like.

Quite simply, there is no connection between copyright and morality. Everybody knows this.

I admit to not being personally convinced about free-for-all file sharing.
RonToon
Blade
Blade

Post by RonToon »

PooF wrote:Quite simply, there is no connection between copyright and morality.
The PROBLEM is that too many people believe this and this sense of "entitlement" is one of the things that I find disturbing about some of the younger generation (under 30). There is a huge connection between copyright and morality. Recording artists create music as their means of financial support... it's how they earn they're living. What the record companies take from this (as unfair as it may seem in some cases) is inconsequential. You're taking something that is legally owned and sold and are giving it away for free on a mass global level. That's digital piracy and it's a federal crime.

And to use the rationalization that you should be able to download and sample it, and then choose to buy it only if you really love it is really a messed up way of thinking. Would you go into a restaurant and order something off a menu and then only pay the bill if you liked your meal? How about a concert, or a play? Should you only pay for this if you like it? Art is subjective and trying to measure it by any personal objectivity is impossible.

We're talking about the LAW here and if it needs to catch up to the current technological climate and changes then it's up to the people to speak their piece and the lawmakers to change the laws. But right now, as it stands downloading/sharing music/movies for free is morally wrong and a crime as well.

Robin Hood was an OUTLAW, a criminal whose actions were romanticized in a much larger story. Sure... people cheered his actions but does that mean we should get back at the bankers who conned folks into bad mortgages by robbing the banks and giving the money to folks going through foreclosure? No. Why? Because Robin Hood is a fairy tale and we're dealing with reality here. We need to change government and laws in the ways that society and the courts have made available to us.

Those who upload or download music are stealing... way too conveniently. [-X
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

RonToon wrote:We're talking about the LAW here and if it needs to catch up to the current technological climate and changes then it's up to the people to speak their piece and the lawmakers to change the laws. But right now, as it stands downloading/sharing music/movies for free is morally wrong and a crime as well.
I always thought that universal ethical principles should determine the law and not be the other way around. Is it morally right to stone a woman to death for infidelity because that's what Irani law says? We can't let the laws determine what's morally good or bad. Laws are just fallible rules aimed to help the coexistence of the fallible beings who create them. Otherswise we would had a myriad of moral goods and bads, as many as there are nations and legislations in the world. It would be a moral relativism hell, everything could be wrong or right as long as some paper said so.
RonToon wrote:We need to change government and laws in the ways that society and the courts have made available to us.
That's something I can actually agree with.

Problem is that sometimes "the ways that society and the courts have made available to us" for changing the law fall under the control of corporations or other antidemocratic "impersonal forces", like Huxley used to call them.
RonToon
Blade
Blade

Post by RonToon »

I never thought that I'd change anybody's mind here and don't want to come off as a lecturing old fart so I think I'll stick to Floydian topics. If you download music (as in officially released albums) for free and think it's morally okay to do so then God bless ya! <ii>
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

That's OK Ron, don't worry. And don't take it too seriously or personal, some of us here just like to argue because we kind of enjoy the whole dialectics of it :wink:

Some crazy examples here and here! Cheers!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

RonToon wrote: Rationalize it anyway you want but what you're doing is still illegal and morally wrong.
If you haven't noticed, there's been a truckload of rationalization in my posts. And how "morally wrong" this thing is. Also, I am pretty open-minded. But so far not a single reason was good enough.
RonToon
Blade
Blade

Post by RonToon »

danielcaux wrote:That's OK Ron, don't worry. And don't take it too seriously or personal, some of us here just like to argue because we kind of enjoy the whole dialectics of it :wink:

Some crazy examples here and here! Cheers!
Um... yeah. I'll stick to Pink Floyd topics thank you.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

All I can say is that I see more than one issue here. Sure, there is a certain question of being paid for intellectual property, but what about the changes brought about by technology itself? Without a strong view at the moment, I can't help but recall how the printing press led to the bible being printed in English, changing the authority of the Catholic Church, by way of new Christian denominations (Protestants, etc.) and the eventual rise in learning to read...the printing press changed SO much. Is there not a similar issue involved somehow? Just sayin'. :D
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

good point nosaJ, we are at a transitional point in history due to the evolution of technology and the record as a collectible/consumable may be a thing of the past
it had its arc starting with the edison discs and became a fad for collectors in the 20s, coincident with the Jazz Age and an economic boom
thus it is a relic of a century old technological innovation, no longer relevent to the emerging generation of music consumers ... if its not accessible via a Smart Phone it must be Olde
this goes back to some of the issues raised in the Death of the CD thread
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

I see Mediafire deleted a lot of files...
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

Post by davidjay »

another one down...
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Dark ages are coming back again! :-#

Viva la Corporation!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

FU.....ndamental stuff going on.
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

Post by davidjay »

i noticed last night that "anonymouse" now blocks torrents from running through their site!