Respect

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Respect

Post by Flying pig437 »

How much respect do you think you deserve...bearing in mind you spend money on luxury and leisure while children die of extreme poverty?
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Respect

Post by Stephen »

You have to earn respect and I wouldn't think that I've ever done anything that merits it, therefore I wouldn't expect to receive it. Some people seem to think they are automatically entitled to it and those are the ones I have the least respect for.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

What are the dynamics between a luxury consumption, a person being in a state of poverty and respect? Is the connection in this mechanism causation? Or is it just guilt?

If there are two animals in a desert and one, by chance, happens to be near a food/water source and the other does not, and the one animals lives from their relative luxury of being near good food and water, what that animal in the good place lose respect for sustaining a lifestyle that is available to it?
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Indifference toward the suffering of others is one of the worst traits a human being can have in my book. Specially when there are things that CAN be done.

Also the average citizen may not realize it but there are hidden connections between the first world overall wellbeing and the third world overall misery. Just trace back the history, for starters.

--
I believe respect for others is a fundamental pillar for a civilized society. So I guess I deserve at least that kind of respect, as everyone else does.

Respect as admiration? None. I have never wanted it anyway. What for?
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Reminds me of a song...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zQ9bu0ASZI

Mainly the recurring word "respect"...
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

Keith Jordan wrote:If there are two animals in a desert and one, by chance, happens to be near a food/water source and the other does not, and the one animals lives from their relative luxury of being near good food and water, what that animal in the good place lose respect for sustaining a lifestyle that is available to it?
Depends how wealthy the animals parents are.
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

Post by davidjay »

i can't get me no...
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

I live in relative luxury, yet I earn no money and have 100 dollars in the bank. I don't think I have anything to give. Maybe I should earn respect from things that I can actually do.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Dontcha know Duck boy!? In this beautiful world of ours once you earn some money you will earn some respect! Respect!