The Avengers (the film)

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

The Avengers (the film)

Post by nosaj »

So, anybody going? Reviews please.

Have to admit, I may go see this one. I have read one review. Essentially, the reviewer rated it one star out of five from his "crumudeon" side and three from his inner child...first time I have seen two ratings in the paper before.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: The Avengers (the film)

Post by Stephen »

I think this is one that I'll ignore all the reviews and get the DVD when it comes out.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I have ignored seeing the X-Men, Thor, Iron Man, etc. at the theatre and watched them later on DVD or television. However, I think I should maybe have seen them at the theatre, so I might see this one on the BIG screen.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Meeeh, I don't know, the first Iron Man was kinda fun, but the other movies with the Avengers super dudes (Hulk, Thor, Captain America) were complete logs IMO. So the prospect of seeing them all together smashing stuff (because that's pretty much what the movie seems to be about) is not very exciting for me. I guess I will end up watching it out of pure curiosity, IF I can find a theater that is screening it in 2D, I'm not paying extra for watching a dumb movie in pop-up book style.

Also, I think both Jeremy Renner and Scarlett Johansson were terribly miscasted for their respective roles. It's also funny that now Bruce Banner not only can transform into the Hulk but seems to be a shape shifter too.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Yup, going to see it next wednesday in imax.
I like marvel heroes, and Johansson's butt. Gotta see this on big screen.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Hasn't got my hyped up at all. Its not that it looks like a bad movie as such, it's probably ok. But it doesn't look any different from every other superhero movie.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

To me it looks like a mindless Michael Bay film, kind of Marvel's version of a Transformers movie. Bang! Clash! KABOOM!
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

My friend wants to go, so I will probably go see it with him, although I have not seen Thor, The Hulk or Captain America, so I may not have the proper background, if it's important. He's seen them all though, so I'm sure he can fill me in. I liked Iron Man, but Iron Man 2 was only just okay (watched it on a plane though, so maybe in more ideal conditions I might like it better).
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

The one summer movie I'm really excited about is not a superhero movie, like this one, The Political Batman or The New Spidey, but Ridley Scott's return to the Alien world (minus the aliens) with Prometheus. I always found that early scene in the first film with the giant astronaut the most intriguing thing in the whole story, and I'm glad that they are exploring that loose end here, finally!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TZlVQZFjvE
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

I went to see it at the weekend. Unlikely to win any Oscar nominations, and perhaps slightly lacking in storyline, but for a bit of crash bang escapism, it's great!
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Saw it yesterday. Great fun.
Didnt expect mindblowing intelligence in the story line and countless twists and drama, but a nice bit of jolly visual superhero experience.
It's great visually, surprisingly (for an american blockbuster) funny at moments, 3D worked fine, all that I expected from that movie.
Lately I'm craving for fun movies, rather then drama, watching explosions while good prevails in the end. We have enaugh of drama in everyday life.

Cant wait to see Prometheus. With Batman and Hobbit, the most anticipated movie of the year.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

To be honest, I'm not really a fan of "superhero" movies, so.....