David Documentary Programme

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

David Documentary Programme

Post by Bigmanpigman »

David Gilmour: Wider Horizons - BBC2 TV documentary next Saturday

Next Saturday evening, David Gilmour: Wider Horizons airs on the UK's BBC2 TV. The 72-minute programme promises to be a fascinating look at the man and musician, taking in the various elements of his life.
From the BBC website, the show is described as follows: 'After a break of nine years, David Gilmour steps back into the spotlight with a number one album and world tour. This film is an intimate portrait of one of the greatest guitarists and singers of all time, exploring his past and present. With unprecedented access, the film crew have captured and detailed key moments in David Gilmour's personal and professional life that have shaped him both as a person and a musician.'

The show airs on Saturday 14th November, at 9:45pm UK time, on BBC2 and BBC2 HD, which is viewable via digital terrestrial, the various digital platforms including Virgin Media and Sky, and online at the BBC website. It will also be available to watch on demand via the BBC's iPlayer service after it has aired on TV.

There is a preview on the Brain-Damage site
http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/latest/da ... t-sat.html
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Re: David Documentary Programme

Post by moodyblue »

Just seen this on my Facebook thing. Long overdue really but probably at David's discretion.
BertWW96
Blade
Blade

Post by BertWW96 »

Any idea if this will be made available in the US?
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

BertWW96 wrote:Any idea if this will be made available in the US?
You can probably stream watch it live (google is your friend) otherwise it might take some time... But generally BBC things spread out after a while (i.e. Youtube)
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I use a VPN called Tunnelbear on my PC. The free version gives you 500mb of data - I'm not sure if it'd be enough to make it through the program though. There are other ones such as Cyberghost out there but I've not used those.

As Follix has rightly pointed out, most of these things end up on YouTube pretty quickly anyway ;)
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

TONIGHT!!! (Reminder)
NineToTheSky
Embryo
Embryo

Post by NineToTheSky »

I saw this last night, and overall, I found it rather bleak. His neglect by his parents obviously effected him badly. As Polly said, 'He can only express himself emotionally through his music'.
zucchero
Embryo
Embryo

Post by zucchero »

Does somebody maybe have a link for torrent or something??? I'm not from UK and I'm unable to watch...
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I watched it as well and enjoyed most of it. I don't think I came away knowing much more about him than I had but that's OK. I get the impression he's a complex character who could be hard to get to know well. I also suspect a shrink would have a field day if they delved into David's relationship with his parents. Especially his feelings about his mother. The family scenes were a bit contrived but these sorts of things always are. What I found the most interesting were the parts where he talked about music. Especially fun anecdotes like Jokers Wild crammed into a listening booth in a record shop, trying to learn new Beatles songs off by heart within hours of the album coming out.

Until now I'd never taken any particular notice of the part Phil Manzanera played in producing In An Elevator and Rattle That Lock. Now I think he's the glue that brings the whole thing together and David relies on him a lot both as a sounding board and as someone to help assemble the songs.

It wasn't a warts and all production. There was no mention of Charlie, for example. Or indeed his first wife or kids from that marriage (they seem strangely absent, whether that's by their choice or his). When the subject of his fractious relationship with Roger was brought up, that got shut down very quickly by him and that was the end of that.

Overall it's worth a look but don't expect anything earth-shattering.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

The docudrama about Pink Floyd in 1985 would be epic though!
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Postman Pat song... I was just singing along this with my kids today...they are in that phase now lol

A nice "not full of surprises" documentary. I mean, it's David Gilmour, not Madonna or any kind of that pop/rock music people.
The bits from Jokers Wild and that song from Bardot movie were nice. Nice to see that home movie footage aswell...

And of course, there's Pula, MY gig. Love the "pro shot" footage and the fact that I'v spotted myself as a tiny litlle dot behind David - I know where I was standing up there.

All in all a nice watch. I bet David said, put alot of green in it and some glimpse of the sea.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

brell
Blade
Blade

Post by brell »

Thanks a lot for the link :)
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

Whilst a David Gilmour documentary is always going to be a good thing for prime time Saturday night viewing I found it to be a fairly safe production and at times rather frustrating.

Whenever it seemed to be getting interesting (solo albums, Astoria, Pink Floyd, collaborations) it quickly deferred back to the making of Rattle That Lock.

I really enjoyed hearing about the early days, and I never get bored of tours of the Astoria. Whilst it's interesting to see David relaxed and at home with his children from both marriages I would personally have found it more interesting to hear more about his first two solo records and a retrospective opinion on the Gilmour led Floyd era.
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

FreeFour wrote:Whenever it seemed to be getting interesting (solo albums, Astoria, Pink Floyd, collaborations) it quickly deferred back to the making of Rattle That Lock.
But surely you do not think the timing was coincidental?