David Bowie's Reality tour

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I love David Bowie, even kinda like the last few albums, but passed on buying tickets this time around...it is very cool that he's playing mostly new songs, but still, I do like the older stuff more...they never called Pablo Picasso an ass****! Not like you.

Goodbye Uncle Floyd...does that mean anything to anybody, am I reading into it too much? I do have a theory...
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Actually i guess Space Oddity would need an orchastra to enhance a live performance of it which is a luxery Bowie doesn't have for this tour so it sortta stands to reason that he doesn't do the song
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

He must be tired of that song. Honestly, I skip it most of the time when listening to the live Ziggy album.
Shoot, I have friends who bought tickets - I didn't because I wasn't too interested in the set list...same reason I didn't see the DB tour.
Its in two weeks, maybe I should go?
Heikki
Blade
Blade

Post by Heikki »

Go! That's my advice to you. Bowie was in fine form in Helsinki (that of course was one of the first gigs...), so if you haven't seen him before, do yourself a favour and get the ticket.
dogs_pigs_n_sheep
Knife
Knife

Post by dogs_pigs_n_sheep »

I remember about 10 years ago, or maybe less, he suggested he was putting all his old material to rest, and would no longer play any of it, and I thought this was a very sad idea. I'm glad to hear he has changed his mind. That was like when Roger decided to not play any PF when he toured, how can you not at least pay some respect to the great material that made it possible to keep presenting new material. I love Changesone.
Heikki
Blade
Blade

Post by Heikki »

dogs_pigs_n_sheep wrote:I remember about 10 years ago, or maybe less, he suggested he was putting all his old material to rest, and would no longer play any of it,..
I found his 50% new, 50% old (over 10 years old) material deal quite enjoyable. There's a lot more dignity doing so than concentrating on the old songs. On the other hand I enjoyed Uriah Heep set a few weeks ago, even though the newest song in their set was 20 years old!

It's a hard balancing act to make a proper set list if you've been famous for decades... And one thing is sure: You can't please everybody!
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Tin Machine!!
Heikki
Blade
Blade

Post by Heikki »

Believe me or not, but I like over half of the songs on Tin Machine 2. Baby Universal, Amlapura, One Shot,... Ok, I know that's not yet over half of the songs, but those are IMO the excellent ones.
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

I like the three Tin Machine albums, too... I started listen to music more consciously at the beginning of the nineties, when I started to be a teenager, not "a child" :wink: , so I have special feelings towards the music that was recorded around that time ;-))

And I think Reeves Gabrels did a great job on the second TM album, all these Neubauten-like experiments with a guitar treated with strange devices :shock: :D
Heikki
Blade
Blade

Post by Heikki »

Anna, please stop agreeing with me about everything :)
Well, it's nice to find out that I'm not the only one who actually listens to Tin Machine at all.
BTW, I visited the local music store today. The owners said that they ordered that bonus edition of Bowie's Reality you told about just for me. I didn't ask them to do that! That's what I call good service.
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

Heikki wrote:Anna, please stop agreeing with me about everything :)
Well, it's nice to find out that I'm not the only one who actually listens to Tin Machine at all..
Don't be afraid :lol: , I said once that I think Marillion is one of the most overrated bands ever... I can't stand Steve Hogarth and I'm not a big fan of Fish, either :twisted: :lol:

Heikki wrote: BTW, I visited the local music store today. The owners said that they ordered that bonus edition of Bowie's Reality you told about just for me. I didn't ask them to do that! That's what I call good service.
That's great, waiting for your opinions :D
Heikki
Blade
Blade

Post by Heikki »

Ok, I like Marillion. And that's good news to you, miss! :)
I was beginning to fear my impression of you was all wrong. I thought you were an intelligent and attractive young woman with original ideas. For a moment it looked like you're desperately trying to please an older man... :wink:
BTW, did you like Purple?
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

You're right - before I've written that post, I had called my younger brother and asked him what the f*ck that Tin Machine was, because I would like to show off I know such a band, and impress some people at the forum :evil:
No, I don't listen to David Bowie at all, I hate his music, only like to watch his videos (with the sound off, of course) because he's so beautiful...
And Robert Fripp is even more beautiful, that's why I have two King Crimson DVDs and one video cassette, extremely sexy =P~

Seriously, that's really not my fault that we have quite similar taste in music ... I also share many fascinations with Simpledumbpilot, Pugs on the Wings (oh, that exciting "80s thread" :P ), Prkl, Seamusz, Gonzo, Diin Jaffa...
Nota bene, there's a lot of bands that I like very much that you'd probably not approve :wink: ... Like Machine Head, Sepultura, Paradise Lost, Biohazard, Helmet, Gorefest, Rammstein, Vader... :twisted:

Heikki wrote:BTW, did you like Purple?
Oh, yes, great concert! Very nice suprise, I was afraid it would be rather disappointing... I remember terrible Robert Plant concert :?...
As promised, I've written the long "review" in the "What are you listening to" thread.
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

Anna-Roza wrote: Diin Jaffa...
I have noticed that! and thats why im gonna give you......*thumb up*
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

Anna-Roza wrote:Rammstein
Oh my god, someone else likes them?