My theory on why the Final Cut is not an enjoyable listen

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Re: My theory on why the Final Cut is not an enjoyable listen

Post by theaussiefloydian »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:14 pm "Roger wanted to be the guy writing the lyrics. I was very happy for him to be the guy writing the lyrics. He was very good at it. I didn’t feel I was. I wasn’t frustrated, saying, 'Read these lyrics! I want to put this song on!' The way it happened made sense." - Gilmour, 2015
I feel this explains much of how Pink Floyd evolved. Gilmour was happy to let Waters write the lyrics, but it seems Waters took that as carte blanche to start controlling the band wholesale. Also explains why pretty much every song on The Division Bell that Gilmour had a pen on was also written with Polly.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: My theory on why the Final Cut is not an enjoyable listen

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

It's a good, fairly long interview, with other cohorts chiming in as well.

https://www.uncut.co.uk/features/interv ... r-99501/3/

"I always want to write my own songs, my own lyrics and everything. It just doesn't happen very quickly. The idea that many people adhere to, the Nick Cave way – work, get in there, concentrate, focus – I'm told it would work for me, but I've never had that discipline. So far I find these things arrive as little moments. There's a lot of slog to get there from there. I'm not enormously confident writing lyrics."