Hey Hey Rise Up

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Hey Hey Rise Up

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

If it goes to number one do you think we'll get another compilation out of it?
There's never been a full (including US singles like Flaming or European single of Nile Song) compilation dedicated solely to the singles. No album tracks.
Well I'd see what was on it. But the next phase this song has is to go is a physical release.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

At this point for me, anything that PF or its members put out now is just cherries on top.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:03 am I could not disagree more. I find the incorporation of the Ukrainian folk song into the proceedings fascinating. It took me a minute to get used to it, but once I did I found that I love its unique quality. "Hey Hey Rise Up" is not the best thing Pink Floyd put out by any means, but it's a good track through and through to me.
Without any disrespect to the humanitarian effort behind the whole move, Gilmour's Ukrainian family or the war tragedy unfolding over there, the song part of the single sounds to me like a dying cat wailing over a Floyd track. But, it is in the ear of the beholder, of course.

I watched Gilmour's CNN interview today, and at the end of it all he actually said that a live Pink Floyd performance to further the effort is not out of the question, so there might be more Floyd activities in the near future.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:06 pm If it goes to number one do you think we'll get another compilation out of it?
There's never been a full (including US singles like Flaming or European single of Nile Song) compilation dedicated solely to the singles. No album tracks.
Well I'd see what was on it. But the next phase this song has is to go is a physical release.
The closest thing to this would be The Early Singles compilation, which was the bonus CD in the Shine On box set (released in 1992). It contains the first five UK singles (https://www.discogs.com/release/2001647 ... ly-Singles)
Gslatner
Axe
Axe

Post by Gslatner »

flashback wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:45 pm At this point for me, anything that PF or its members put out now is just cherries on top.
I couldn’t agree more. I think people picking this song apart is shameful, you should be grateful you got anything.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Hadrian wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:58 pm I watched Gilmour's CNN interview today, and at the end of it all he actually said that a live Pink Floyd performance to further the effort is not out of the question, so there might be more Floyd activities in the near future.
I wonder if Gilmour would import any of his solo stuff into a hypothetical performance. If they were to do a concert to further the relief aid "In Any Tongue" would be thematically relevant.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

What Gilmour actually mentioned was potentially performing the new single live with the Ukrainian singer, assuming he makes it out of Ukraine eventually.

The only thing I would really like to see at this point is Pink Floyd performing The Endless River in its entirety as a single piece of music at some major charity event. It is appropriate on a number of levels: TER Pink Floyd is the 2022 Pink Floyd (i.e. just David and Nick), TER was completed without Rick so it would be suitable to perform live without him as well (and ultimately, in his honour). Finally, the material got no live promotion at all - not even on Gilmour's subsequent solo tours.

I would be very curious to hear how they would rearrange it for live setting, what they would do with it on stage. One of the best aspects of Pink Floyd live performances during 1987-2007 was how the material, old and new, continued to evolve live on stage. Some of this continues after 2007 on Gilmour's solo tours as well (for example changing the singing on Shine On, or the new acoustic end to High Hopes, and so on). The Endless River was unfortunately robbed of this process, and I have no doubt they would make it evolve as well if played live. Slim chance, I know, but one can always hope. As we just witnessed, stranger and far more unexpected things have happened.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/s ... ads-chart/

Top of the charts!!! <ii> Top of the Download charts. No sign of it in the Singles chart.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

For me this is just another nail in the Floyd legacy - just when you thought it couldn't get any worse after the endless river we get this. No doubt Polly nagging (don't call me) Dave to do something to support the daughter in law/grandchild
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

drafsack wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:56 am For me this is just another nail in the Floyd legacy - just when you thought it couldn't get any worse after the endless river we get this. No doubt Polly nagging (don't call me) Dave to do something to support the daughter in law/grandchild
Well that's a bit cynical isn't it? Gilmour has written anti war stuff in the past (hell, one such song was on Rattle That Lock) so this feels totally on brand for him to want to do something for Ukraine. And the idea that he would need to be "nagged" into doing something about something his family is connected to casts a bit of a dim opinion of Gilmour himself. Could it be that he's just upset and wants to do something?
Also at the risk of straying off topic can someone please explain to me what exactly the deal some people have with Polly is? She really doesn't deserve the Yoko Ono treatment some people seem to be giving her.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

That hate David has got for this release has been appalling on social media and so toxic and totally missing the point of this release
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

And in the latest surreal slice of Pink Floyd news the world Trotskyist movement (the International Committee of the Fourth International) labels Pink Floyd a pro-war and US-backed NATO agitprop, politrock clown. See: https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2022/0 ... y-a13.html
Gslatner
Axe
Axe

Post by Gslatner »

I really don’t know what Roger believes in anymore he’s seems angry at everything.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

I really don't give a shit what Roger or anyone else thinks. If it is wrong to support people that are being attacked by another country for bullshit reasons then so be it. You don't have to be pro-war to think this shit is wrong.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:58 pm https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/s ... ads-chart/

Top of the charts!!! <ii> Top of the Download charts. No sign of it in the Singles chart.
And on the same Download chart, down to 33 this week. Still think physical release is the next logical step for it.