My thoughts on the "y d pinkfloyd p" lettering of ASOS

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Niebla de Fuego
Axe
Axe

My thoughts on the "y d pinkfloyd p" lettering of ASOS

Post by Niebla de Fuego »

So, someone on reddit recently asked why the lettering on the A Saucerful of Secrets album is as it is. Here's what I jokingly answered on the fly, but it is also something I've been thinking for a while.

Basically the question was: Why "y d pinkfloyd p"

And my crazy answer was (expanded here for a clearer explanation):

Maybe it was to show how "Syd" was falling apart, therefore an incomplete and spread "S y d" (with the absent initial, as the band -and himself- has lost his starting point). And that also makes people aware he was no longer held together, though still some scattered parts of him were present on the album. And the extra "p" at the end is the signal of a new era that is starting for the band. The fact that "pinkfloyd" is all together, without spaces, represents the band coming together, strong, without voids, centered again.

Of course I have no proof. In all the literature I've read there is no evidence of Storm ever talking about a hidden meaning behind the lettering of the title. However, you know Storm always loved to play and introduce visual puns.

Is that too much of a crazy idea?
Yes, maybe it is. Maybe I've over-interpreted something that was really never meant to be understood that way. Maybe it was just a design mistake on Hipgnosis part. Also, hindsight is the best way to justify anything.

Or maybe not?

What do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My thoughts on the "y d pinkfloyd p" lettering of ASOS

Post by twcc »

^^^
Intriguing, and, it all sounds reasonable.

Have checked the available books on the shelf here and there's nothing about the 'lettering' other than it was Letraset applied to the picture; but no information about why the top of the letters are clipped or the odd 'y d pinkfloyd p' spacing.

Storm is of course sadly no longer with us, but Aubrey 'Po' Powell is still around and since Hipgnosis is still a listed company with a registered correspondence address on the Companies House website drop him a line and you may strike lucky.

<ii>

https://find-and-update.company-informa ... 1648488397
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Re: My thoughts on the "y d pinkfloyd p" lettering of ASOS

Post by theaussiefloydian »

It was probably honestly just done for a neat visual, but you never know. There might have been some subconscious influence towards a deeper meaning on Storm's part. With something like that though it's really hard to tell.