Gilmour’s uncredited contribution to some of RW’s songs

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Eliardo1
Embryo
Embryo

Gilmour’s uncredited contribution to some of RW’s songs

Post by Eliardo1 »

Hi guys. I recently rewatched a video about the recording of Brain Damage. At some point Roger complains about David’s guitar not sounding “quite as toppy” [as it had sounded in a previous take). Then David replies jokingly, and somewhat passive agressively and the video goes on and all.
That particular scene got me thinking that maybe some of the music in Brain Damage might have had quite an important contribution by David. Although not as important as to be credited to him.
Do you guys think that in PF’s song writing process there may have happened that the music sometimes was inspired or influenced by David though mainly written by Roger? And that that may have been the reason the credits only go to Roger?
Gslatner
Axe
Axe

Re: Gilmour’s uncredited contribution to some of RW’s songs

Post by Gslatner »

I have to believe David helped write a lot of stuff he never got credit for. The Wall is a great example there is no way Roger wrote 100% of that album himself the guitar solo in another brick in the wall is clearly all David. Additionally if you look at Roger’s solo work the dude can barely string 2 notes together by himself. I’m sure the concepts were all Roger though.
Eliardo1
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Eliardo1 »

Yes. I couldn’t agree more.
As for the lyrics and concepts Roger is simply a master of those things. To me he is up there in the level of Dylan or Leonard Cohen as regards lyrics, if not above them (personally I place Roger above Dylan, as for Cohen I’m not sure - but I guess that boils down to my own idiossincracies).
The lyrics of Have a Cigar alone (not to mention almost all the lyrics in Animals) are worthy of a Nobel prize (since they are apparently handing those out quite easily - I cannot think of any Bob Dylan lyrics to top the musical version Roger made for an entire book written by a larger than life person, that is, Orwell and Animal Farm - by the way the old portuguese title for the book used to be “A revolução dos bichos” which translates (I reckon)) as The Beasts’s Revolution, which conveys the content of The book much better than “Animal Farm”. Now the portuguese title is just a literal translation of The original one, mainly because the editors saw the old title as depreciative of the concept of “a revolution” which is exactly what the book is about).
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

Gslatner wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:24 pm I have to believe David helped write a lot of stuff he never got credit for. The Wall is a great example there is no way Roger wrote 100% of that album himself the guitar solo in another brick in the wall is clearly all David. Additionally if you look at Roger’s solo work the dude can barely string 2 notes together by himself. I’m sure the concepts were all Roger though.
The Wall was never 100% Roger, songs like Comfortably Numb, Young Lust and The Trial were done with either Gilmour or Ezrin. The Final Cut was 100% WRITTEN by Roger... because the guitar solos aren't written, they're improvised by David. Like Another Brick, Pt. 2, the song is written by Roger... and the guitar solo is improvised by Gilmour. There is no way that Roger would have written a single solo from The Wall or The Final Cut. Some of the less emotional solos may be Roger, if you watch him performing Picture That live for the Us + Them tour, he improvises a solo that is decent... but no where near a Gilmour level solo, and there's not much emotion. In my opinion, Roger is not the best music writer, but he is, imo, the best lyric writer I've ever heard. Gilmour on the other hand, isn't merely a decent lyric writer, but a great music writer.