What Are Your Thoughts On The 'To Kill The Child/Leaving Beirut' Single?

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

What Are Your Thoughts On The 'To Kill The Child/Leaving Beirut' Single?

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

I loved the both of the songs, but what are your thoughts?

By that I mean your thoughts on the lyrics, the music, and the what it means to you (Leaving Beirut always makes me cry).
thefinalmutt
Axe
Axe

Re: What Are Your Thoughts On The 'To Kill The Child/Leaving Beirut' Single?

Post by thefinalmutt »

i'm not a huge fan of either song music-wise, but I really love the 'story' parts of Leaving Beirut. I love the story in itself, how it's formulated, how it's read. For this reason I do listen to it every now and then.
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

thefinalmutt wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:18 pm i'm not a huge fan of either song music-wise, but I really love the 'story' parts of Leaving Beirut. I love the story in itself, how it's formulated, how it's read. For this reason I do listen to it every now and then.
Leaving Beirut has to be my favourite out of the two.
Those lyrics 'I wonder what became of them, in the cauldron that was Lebanon' and the way they are sung has to be the most emotional part on the album. But as a whole, the song is a very sad story of a Lebanese family who, as Roger said, 'didn't have much, but what they did, they shared'.
thefinalmutt
Axe
Axe

Post by thefinalmutt »

Ashes andDiamonds07 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:56 pm
thefinalmutt wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:18 pm i'm not a huge fan of either song music-wise, but I really love the 'story' parts of Leaving Beirut. I love the story in itself, how it's formulated, how it's read. For this reason I do listen to it every now and then.
Leaving Beirut has to be my favourite out of the two.
Those lyrics 'I wonder what became of them, in the cauldron that was Lebanon' and the way they are sung has to be the most emotional part on the album. But as a whole, the song is a very sad story of a Lebanese family who, as Roger said, 'didn't have much, but what they did, they shared'.
it's a touching story, minus roger's dismissal of the blatant misogyny in the couple's behaviour