Roger CNN Interview 2022

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Vegetable Layne
Axe
Axe

Re: Roger CNN Interview 2022

Post by Vegetable Layne »

While he does take a relatively light side on China (they're absolutely as authoritarian as the US, and more openly so too) he's otherwise totally on the right.

The funny thing is, after this article was out, there have been some social media coverages about how "fans are leaving Roger Waters in droves" and I'm like wha? Of course, RW fans promptly came for the support, but let's not kid ourselves: the establishment doesn't like RW and what he wants to say.
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

Vegetable Layne wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:28 am the establishment doesn't like RW and what he wants to say.
Thank you for pointing this out, it is very true.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Vegetable Layne wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:28 am While he does take a relatively light side on China (they're absolutely as authoritarian as the US, and more openly so too) he's otherwise totally on the right.
Well, he identifies as a Leftist, so you're a big ol' meanie-meanie, Nazifascist bigot for not acknowledging his Political Identity.
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

mosespa wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:19 pm
Vegetable Layne wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:28 am While he does take a relatively light side on China (they're absolutely as authoritarian as the US, and more openly so too) he's otherwise totally on the right.
Well, he identifies as a Leftist, so you're a big ol' meanie-meanie, Nazifascist bigot for not acknowledging his Political Identity.
Certain things, I'll admit, he does sound a little centre-right, but as a whole, his beliefs are pretty left.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

If I remember correctly, both of his parents were card-carrying Communists and he (as we all know) adores them both and shares many of their beliefs.

I have no idea what "Right Wing" things he's said; never heard him say ANYTHING even remotely on that side of the aisle, other than maybe "you go through this thing where you think about all the good it would to (giving the money away,) but in the end, you decide to keep it."

So, if anyone would care to cite an example of Waters being Right-Wing, I'd love to hear it.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

mosespa wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:49 am If I remember correctly, both of his parents were card-carrying Communists and he (as we all know) adores them both and shares many of their beliefs.

I have no idea what "Right Wing" things he's said; never heard him say ANYTHING even remotely on that side of the aisle, other than maybe "you go through this thing where you think about all the good it would to (giving the money away,) but in the end, you decide to keep it."

So, if anyone would care to cite an example of Waters being Right-Wing, I'd love to hear it.

Well it is true that if you keep moving the the left you will end up on the right - and vice versa
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Yes, and call me old-fashioned, but I think that the goal posts not only shouldn't be moved, they shouldn't even be movable.

But...I'm a stickler for drawing lines in the sand and sticking to them. *shrug*
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

His music (not lyrics) over the last 30 years has certainly been conservative.
Gslatner
Axe
Axe

Post by Gslatner »

I was at This is Not a Drill and he was just obnoxious ramming his politics down our throats. I hate to break it to Roger but 98% of the people going to his concerts are there to hear Pink Floyd music not be told what we should believe. I don’t disagree with him on some stuff but to call all US presidents war criminals and not call out fucking Putin as one is just crazy. I went because as a Pink Floyd fan I pretty much had to, but Roger is pretty much dead to me at this point.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Kerry King wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:09 pm His music (not lyrics) over the last 30 years has certainly been conservative.
Well...he's not so much a "musician" as he is a guy who knows how to play some instruments to a limited degree. He's not interested in being the best bass player ever (which seems out of place, given his legendarily maniacal ego,) and probably hasn't learned a "new bass lick" in decades.

I'm sure he considers himself more of a lyricist than a "composer," anyway. He knows how to write songs; clearly he feels that's good enough.

This is also part of why I refuse to consider Pink Floyd a "Prog" band.
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

Gslatner wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:28 am I was at This is Not a Drill and he was just obnoxious ramming his politics down our throats. I hate to break it to Roger but 98% of the people going to his concerts are there to hear Pink Floyd music not be told what we should believe. I don’t disagree with him on some stuff but to call all US presidents war criminals and not call out fucking Putin as one is just crazy. I went because as a Pink Floyd fan I pretty much had to, but Roger is pretty much dead to me at this point.
Did you fuck off to the bar? He not only caters for the likes of you, but quite possibly loves you, too, so swallow the bile and keep shelling out for his concerts.
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

PooF wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:05 pm
Gslatner wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:28 am I was at This is Not a Drill and he was just obnoxious ramming his politics down our throats. I hate to break it to Roger but 98% of the people going to his concerts are there to hear Pink Floyd music not be told what we should believe. I don’t disagree with him on some stuff but to call all US presidents war criminals and not call out fucking Putin as one is just crazy. I went because as a Pink Floyd fan I pretty much had to, but Roger is pretty much dead to me at this point.
Did you fuck off to the bar? He not only caters for the likes of you, but quite possibly loves you, too, so swallow the bile and keep shelling out for his concerts.
I was going to say, haha. He warned you at the start about the politics. You should have left when you could, Gslatner
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Did ya really think the old fart was gonna change after 60 years, give me a break, next he'll be saying get off my yard. Roger is the same as he's been for 60 years. I don't care what he says anymore just let him rant while you bugger off to the bar.
Vegetable Layne
Axe
Axe

Post by Vegetable Layne »

mosespa wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:19 pm
I meant that he's right on the subject, NOT that he's right-wing.