How Has Pink Floyd Impacted Your Life?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

How Has Pink Floyd Impacted Your Life?

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

When I was two, my granddad showed me his DVD of Roger Waters performing 'The Wall - Live In Berlin' in 1990. This is what got me into Pink Floyd.
I think it was Snowy Whites solo on Another Brick In The Wall, Pt. 2 that originally made me want to play guitar. It was DG's second solo on Comfortably Numb that made me pick up a guitar and learn how to play it.

I like to think I'm a good guitarist, and everything I play has some form of DG inspiration.

It was then Roger Waters who made me want to write song lyrics, namely that last line on 'Two Suns In The Sunset': "Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end." I like to think I'm a good lyric writer as well. I have written a lot of political lyrics, along with Syd Barrett style psychedelic lyrics.

Pink Floyd has also helped me so much through life. When I'm sad I play songs like 'Nobody Home', 'WYWH', 'The Final Cut' and 'The Gunners Dream'. If I'm happy, it's songs like 'Louder Than Words' and 'Bike'.

And for the record, yes, Roger is, in my opinion, the greatest lyric writer of all time, and I do agree with most of his political opinions. I'm not saying he doesn't have a giant ego, because he does.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: How Has Pink Floyd Impacted Your Life?

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Ashes andDiamonds07 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:48 am It was then Roger Waters who made me want to write song lyrics, namely that last line on 'Two Suns In The Sunset': "Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end." I like to think I'm a good lyric writer as well. I have written a lot of political lyrics, along with Syd Barrett style psychedelic lyrics.
And there's your problem right there! The whole point of writing is it's you. It's your voice. Your thoughts.
Stealing off Roger and even Syd is just the wrong idea. Syd's stuff is coming up to 50 years old.
This is 2022. We need to face up to the big scary world and not retreat into some fantasy 70's delusion about love and peace.
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:38 am
Ashes andDiamonds07 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:48 am It was then Roger Waters who made me want to write song lyrics, namely that last line on 'Two Suns In The Sunset': "Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end." I like to think I'm a good lyric writer as well. I have written a lot of political lyrics, along with Syd Barrett style psychedelic lyrics.
And there's your problem right there! The whole point of writing is it's you. It's your voice. Your thoughts.
Stealing off Roger and even Syd is just the wrong idea. Syd's stuff is coming up to 50 years old.
This is 2022. We need to face up to the big scary world and not retreat into some fantasy 70's delusion about love and peace.
I understand what you mean, completely, but I don't exactly steal off them. I'm inspired by them, yes, but I don't exactly copy them. My political lyrics are very today; Ukraine, Palestine, Taiwan (although my thoughts on Taiwan do differ from Roger's) and I try my best to be political. :lol:
As with Syd Barrett, I don't even think I can say that I write Syd style stuff, and I should have phrased it differently. It's very hard to write Syd style lyrics without LSD (not from my own experience, I've never actually taken non-prescription drugs, I got this from someone else who is a very Barrett-inspired musician and song-writer), so I just write whatever comes to my head. Sometime it sounds more Lennon, or Jefferson Airplane.
I'm not going to retreat into the delusional world of love and peace - instead I try to write to open peoples eyes to the injustice that is going on in this world. The injustice being the injustice towards Julian Assange, Nudem Durak, Palestine and a few more.
WebBrown
Axe
Axe

Post by WebBrown »

I had a girl when I was in 7th grade and we both were seeing things that are not here for most of us humans ... I remember when we first meet we agreed that we have here our companion for entire life who is responsible for our fear or a reason why do we think in first place , so I guess we were a quite match or a couple and then you have had a PF singing about those damned lunatics with a lot stronger and warmer color pointing to us there is even more then just let me say 'others we saw ... A tragedy , I am so sorry about !!!
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I once played a friend of mine a song that I had written and recorded, playing every instrument, myself.

He told me afterwards that "the lead guitar sounded like Gilmour, the bass line sounded like Waters...well, Gilmour, hahaha...the drums sounded like Nick Mason and if there had been keyboards, I'm sure they'd have sounded like Richard Wright."

I have literally gotten into physical confrontations with people for no reason other than that they wanted to "kick my ass" for liking Pink Floyd. Somehow, in their view, this made me a "fa**ot" and apparently meant that I needed to be beaten up.

The same has happened for my love of Star Wars, Kiss and reading books. *shrug*
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

mosespa wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:50 pm I once played a friend of mine a song that I had written and recorded, playing every instrument, myself.

He told me afterwards that "the lead guitar sounded like Gilmour, the bass line sounded like Waters...well, Gilmour, hahaha...the drums sounded like Nick Mason and if there had been keyboards, I'm sure they'd have sounded like Richard Wright."

I have literally gotten into physical confrontations with people for no reason other than that they wanted to "kick my ass" for liking Pink Floyd. Somehow, in their view, this made me a "fa**ot" and apparently meant that I needed to be beaten up.

Pretty much everything you've said has happened to me.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Ashes andDiamonds07 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:24 pm Pretty much everything you've said has happened to me.
This is part of why I'm a misanthrope. *shrug*
WebBrown
Axe
Axe

Post by WebBrown »

mosespa wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:50 pm I once played a friend of mine a song that I had written and recorded, playing every instrument, myself.

And therefore you have great recollection for ' what is right or wrong is something my girlfriend needed to prove indeed, but only after she died, of course ....
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

It showed me to expect more from music than a 3-minute wonder or 3 cord song. I expect more than bullshit that the industry tries to feed us.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Two things here, and quite the opposite from each other.

First, Pink Floyd provides me with one fantastic example what can be achieved when you decide not to give up regardless of the extremely poor odds. What I mean here is the AMLOR phase, and the subsequent tour for that album which was on a scope and scale never seen before of after for Pink Floyd. AMLOR was not a masterpiece record, but Dave and Nick continuing on as a duo (Rick will join later) is Mother Courage indeed (and - it paid off).

Alas, Pink Floyd after the TDB phase, last 28+ years or so, is such a letdown too. Essentially participating in two live shows (2005, 2007), one studio album (2014) and one single (2022) for three decades (!). There could've been so much more. Moral of the story there for me: if you have a great car in the garage, drive it - one day it will be too late.
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Hadrian wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:06 pm if you have a great car in the garage, drive it - one day it will be too late.
Words that Nick Mason lives by
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Roger Waters has joined Neil Peart in my list of "Former Heroes Who Just Need To Sit The Fuck Down And Shut The Fuck Up."

So, there's THAT impact. *shrug*
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

mosespa wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:21 pm Roger Waters has joined Neil Peart in my list of "Former Heroes Who Just Need To Sit The Fuck Down And Shut The Fuck Up."

So, there's THAT impact. *shrug*
To me, I admire that he doesn't just say what the public want to hear.

But occasionally, yes, he does "Need To Sit The Fuck Down And Shut The Fuck Up."
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Ashes andDiamonds07 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:11 pm
To me, I admire that he doesn't just say what the public want to hear.
Good point!
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

He's the same Roger we have seen for over 50 years and he isn't changing for no 1. Doesn't bother me a bit. If your shocked but what he says where you been for 50 years?