How Has Pink Floyd Impacted Your Life?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
mosespa

Re: How Has Pink Floyd Impacted Your Life?

Post by mosespa »

Oh, it doesn't shock me at all. I'm just sick of it because while he's apparently stayed the same for the last 50 years (which, according to some sage wisdom means that he's wasted his entire life,) I have grown and evolved and still agree with him on many things, but still think he's joining the insane (American, anyway,) Left and going way too far with it.

Imagination is imagination and reality is reality. The two generally don't have a whole hell of a lot to do with each other.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Ashes andDiamonds07 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:14 am
Hadrian wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:06 pm if you have a great car in the garage, drive it - one day it will be too late.
Words that Nick Mason lives by
Yes indeed. And, if Nick Mason was actually in charge following the release of Pulse back in 1995 (which marked the end of all major activities), there would be more Pink Floyd afterwards, both in the studio and on the stage. I have no doubts about that. We got NMSOS tour because Dave won't move a muscle with Pink Floyd.
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

Hadrian wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:44 pm
Ashes andDiamonds07 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:14 am

Words that Nick Mason lives by
Yes indeed. And, if Nick Mason was actually in charge following the release of Pulse back in 1995 (which marked the end of all major activities), there would be more Pink Floyd afterwards, both in the studio and on the stage. I have no doubts about that. We got NMSOS tour because Dave won't move a muscle with Pink Floyd.
I think, that out of the entire band, Nick Mason has to be the least toxic member (maybe Syd Barrett as well).
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Ashes andDiamonds07 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:53 pm I think, that out of the entire band, Nick Mason has to be the least toxic member (maybe Syd Barrett as well).
Certainly, the least toxic and mercurial of them all. What I really like listening to (or watching) are his interviews about Pink Floyd, NMSOS, and life in general. Spectacular stuff, always.
WebBrown
Axe
Axe

Post by WebBrown »

Ashes andDiamonds07 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:51 pm
Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:38 am

And there's your problem right there! The whole point of writing is it's you. It's your voice. Your thoughts.
Stealing off Roger and even Syd is just the wrong idea. Syd's stuff is coming up to 50 years old.
This is 2022. We need to face up to the big scary world and not retreat into some fantasy 70's delusion about love and peace.
I understand what you mean, completely, but I don't exactly steal off them. I'm inspired by them, yes, but I don't exactly copy them. My political lyrics are very today; Ukraine, Palestine, Taiwan (although my thoughts on Taiwan do differ from Roger's) and I try my best to be political. :lol:
As with Syd Barrett, I don't even think I can say that I write Syd style stuff, and I should have phrased it differently. It's very hard to write Syd style lyrics without LSD (not from my own experience, I've never actually taken non-prescription drugs, I got this from someone else who is a very Barrett-inspired musician and song-writer), so I just write whatever comes to my head. Sometime it sounds more Lennon, or Jefferson Airplane.
I'm not going to retreat into the delusional world of love and peace - instead I try to write to open peoples eyes to the injustice that is going on in this world. The injustice being the injustice towards Julian Assange, Nudem Durak, Palestine and a few more.
I don't think that would be called a stealing at all - instead it is very good idea to start from, actually it is how entire art would work in general ... Jules Verne did not steal anything from Edgar Allan Poe ... He was just inspired by Advantures of Arthur Gordon Pym and there he created entire new SF genre... In other words, entire art depends on same scenario, from blues chords to early rock , from punk to fast punk and hard core , from Pixies and others to entire grunge scene, even PF members where inspired by others since group was named by two blues musicians where Rick Wright was inspired by Miles Davis and he still created his own music ... So basically it is a given form in art, as it goes from father to a son ... Wish you well ...